It's getting better

Velo Tobbit

I can't remember when I first heard about Cruzbike, but I really latched onto the MBB concept. I wanted to try it out, but I didn't have the money at the time. So, I scrounged around the internet and found some ideas for building my own FWD MBB recumbent. The result was an ugly, heavy thing that got some real stares when I rode it around town. The parts were mostly sourced from the trash or garage sales. It's main weakness was the seat. Those are pads from a bench press and they were not comfortable! Here it is on a ride near Fairbanks, AK in 2010:

First bent.jpg
In 2013, I finally had the opportunity to buy a used conversion kit and build a real Cruzbike. The donor is a Next Avalon. This Version 1.0 works pretty well, but is still quite heavy. I enjoy riding it through the North Carolina countryside!

Version 1 (2).jpg

Going on what I have learned from my previous builds, I'm now working on Version 2.0 of my Cruzbike conversion. I will move all the parts over to a 24" aluminum frame (Giant MTX 225). I'm trying to go light-weight this time around so no suspension. The frame is roomy enough to accept my 26" wheels and 100psi tires. I'm trying to polish the aluminum for an old-school, chrome look, but I hate sanding so it's taking a while.

MTX frame (2).jpg