Lost my front wheel assembly

Harry Kellogg

Don't ask me how but it involved having to take my front wheel off to fit it on a bike rack and me leaving it on the bike rack and it falling off somewhere on the highway.

Anyway I need a new front wheel assembly for a FreeRider. Any suggestion? Will any 8 speed hub work? What do I have to look out for?

Thank you ahead of time.

Harry

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
Hi Harry,
If you can send

Hi Harry,
If you can send some photos of what you have left, it will help us figure out exactly which parts were lost.

email to cruzbike.service@gmail.com

Jim

Harry Kellogg

It's the whole front wheel

It's the whole front wheel from tire to hub. The part that would be easily taken off when you release the quick release lever. Tire, inner tube, rim, spokes, hub, gears etc.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Harry,
   Lest you feel

Hi Harry,

Lest you feel too bad, my dad and I did something similar (many years ago). When i was 13 or 14, my dad bought me a bike (with the understanding that when I left for school it would become his bike - which worked out well). We removed the front wheel to load it into the car, leaning the wheel against the car. We didn't remember we didn't put the wheel in the car until we heard the car running it over. We also needed a new wheel.

If I'm not mistaken, a standard real MTB wheel should work just fine. You'll want to put a reasonable tire on it (the 26x1.25" that come with the Sofrider work pretty well). If you go with something other than an 8 speed (I believe pretty much anything with an 8 speed shimano or sram cassette should work), you'll need to upgrade the shifter.

Cheers and good luck,
Charles

jmoorby

Oops! Yes don't feel bad, we've all had those days, hope you get it re-setup quickly! The first time I loaded my Sofrider on a bike rack I didn't remove the seat pads and lost the back pad on the highway.... made for a very uncomfortable ride that day and the need to order a new set! oops!

The Brook

Came close to having that happen this summer.

I loaded my bike on my rack, and after getting on the highway, I noticed that the upper pad seemed to be vibrating a fair amount.
So I stopped, and removed both pads and put them in the trunk. Whew!

Since I was on vacation, far from home, it would have been pretty bad riding for the extended periods (minimum 1 1/2 hours to 2 1/2 hours per day) I rode during that vacation.