​Woohoo! It's not that hard!

counterpoint

?Woohoo! It's not that hard!

Woohoo! It's not that hard!
I finally got a chance to ride that new Silvio 2.1 and to my big relief it turns out I'm not a total klutz on this weird bike.

The pedal steering diminishes once you get up to cruising speed, the turning radius is surprisingly small, view out of the cockpit is fine when reclined and excellent when I raise my head. And the steep hill up to my house is quite doable in the proper gear. I'll stick to side streets and empty areas for a while until I'm more at ease.

My mechanic was mightily impressed by my choice of disk brakes: TRP Hy/Rd up front (a cable activated hydraulic cylinder brake) and the TRP Spyre in back. Modulation is smooth, braking power is excellent, they cost and weigh less than Avid and since they both use standard cables are easy to set up and maintain. I went with disk because I have carbon rims and didn't want to risk overheating issues on long downhill runs.

Shifting works well, despite the way my hapless mechanic set up the FD. Then again with new cables and SRAM Red brifter I didn't expect anything less.

Next I'll adjust the front suspension and try how it feels on the Kinetic trainer - snow will start falling by nightfall.

PS: Just watched the unbelievable acrobatics on a road bike by two Scottish riders. Kids, don't try this at home. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhabgvIIXik&feature=share&list=UUuTaETsuCOkJ0H_GAztWt0Q&index=7

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Great fun aren't they?

Great fun aren't they?
tongue_smile.gif

-Eric

counterpoint

What about that caution not to progress too fast?

Managed to put in another ride before dark (mostly bike path) with some steep sections: this thing moves nicely.
So what about the advice I read her about not trying to progress too fast? I feel like as long as I keep practicing on fairly empty roads and trails I should literally be up to speed in two weeks of daily riding. Or is that dangerous hubris?

That said, riding a very straight line uphill is probably going to take time and practice so stunts like these will have to wait.
Screen%20Shot%202013-12-28%20at%204_19_06%20PM.jpg height:545px;

Screen%20Shot%202013-12-28%20at%204_21_09%20PM.jpg height:594px;

Screen%20Shot%202013-12-28%20at%204_22_12%20PM.jpg height:555px;

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I reckon I could do the

I reckon I could do the middle one on my Grasshopper. 10 years and probably 20000 miles, and I am totally stable. Probably take that long to get as stable as that on the Silvio.

But my Grasshopper really hates slippery surfaces. Would the Silvio be any better there?

The only way to find out is to build it, and it's cold in London. Probably be icy in a couple of weeks, so I will find out about front-wheel-spin.

Nice and warm in Oz. I understand why they spend their time inventing new types of bicycle and selling them in kit-form.