1000 Miles Later

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Last Sunday I turned 1000 miles on my Cruz Bike Silvio 2.0 and thought I would give an update with my impressions thus far.

Here is my original thread with 300 miles under my belt: http://cruzbike.com/i-ordered-silvio...built-it-...and-my-first-ride...and-300-miles-later

Pedal steer, in my mind, is non-existent and a distant memory and has been for quite some time now. I don't even think about it or feel it, it's become a completely natural process of riding the bike. I believe it's like a runner when he/she runs, the arms and legs work systematically together as one unit in harmony in which becomes routine.

My starts has also become easy too, and also second nature, in fact my starts are easier on the Silvio than my Meta Bike (BTW, they are easy on the Meta Bike), and I thinks that's due to Silvios' lower BB.

My top speed to date is 38.2 mph's, downhill of course. The bike was very steady and solid. I wanted more speed, but ran out of gears and hill. One thing to keep in mind at these speeds, is to relax as you would with any other highracer.

Silvios' suspension rocks! I've been able to Cruz some pretty rough descents much faster than any of the other bents I own or have owned. And that's due to the suspension soaking up the uneven-asphalt and making the ride more predictable.

I purchased the Silvio to complement or supplement my other two bents (Meta Bike and Tour Easy). But it has impressed me so much, and has exceeded my expectations in that it has become my number one favorite bike to the point of not wanting to ride the others at all.

The most distinctive and impressive aspect of the Silvio in my opinion is the power transfer from the crank to the drive wheel. I can get this bike up to speed quicker than any other recumbent I've owned. I strongly believe this is due to the lack-of idlers and excessive chain that sucks power away from the drive wheel. I'm sure there will be those that will disagree with this theory.

Overall I've found that learning and riding the Silvio is no more difficult than learning any other high racer recumbent. It take practice and patience as when you mastered your first two wheel bicycle once the trainer wheels where removed.

14004984130_ef35e5fbc2_c.jpg

Jeremy S

Dude
Rick, that is a beautiful

Rick, that is a beautiful bike. It seems like some bit changes every time you post a picture. You must like tinkering.

Shahmatt

A 1000 miles in about 3

A 1000 miles in about 3 months. That's 11.5 miles a day. You've been pedaling quite a lot!

" I believe it's like a runner when he/she runs, the arms and legs work systematically together as one unit in harmony which become routine"

I like this analogy. Very apt.

Congratulations on your first 1000 btw. May there be many more to come. :)

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Congratulations! Oh and what a great looking bike!

Congratulations on you achievement! And wow, those great mods you've done on that seat are amazing!

Is the angle significantly different from the original seat that came with the bike? Using your photo and some image tools I measured about 28 degrees on the seat back. The original was 27 degrees according to the bike manual so I believe this does not alter the angle to any noticeable extent.

I think you should probably do a short video of your ride to crown it all!

mzweili

Guru
CONGRATS RICK

WHAT AN ACHIEVEMENT !!
hopefully I'll reach this state (miles and comfort) by the end of summer.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
You're in the Groove!

You know, the lack of idlers and all those extra chain links helps,
but really it's the triangulated frame, frame that connects
the bottom bracket -the motor- to the driven wheel.

When you power your Silvio, you're just not deflecting your
power triangle, especially your carbon chain stays, much.

When you power either your Tour Easy or your Meta Bike,
their entire frames must transmit your power from the bottom bracket up front
all the way to the drive wheel in back.
Frame flex is unavoidable.

I have experimented with the stiffness of the drivetrain
on my Sofrider.
Stiffness not only matters, but you can sure feel it!
This is what you experience when you ride your Silvio.
There is a reason why Mr. Tolhurst designed the front end
of his Vendetta the way that he did.

Cruzbike = genius.

You're in the groove, Mr. Youngblood... congratulations!

-Steve

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
YOU'RE IN THE GROOVE!You

YOU'RE IN THE GROOVE!You know, the lack of idlers and all those extra chain links helps,
but really it's the triangulated frame, frame that connects
the bottom bracket -the motor- to the driven wheel.

I agree with this.

I do think that one can involve the upper body and this allows us to put out more power. But, for me at least, I can only do this for short(ish) periods of time.

So, for short hills, I think this makes a big difference. For big hills, I think it's the stiff frame (and lack of idlers) that makes the difference.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I do think that one can

I do think that one can involve the upper body and this allows us to put out more power. But, for me at least, I can only do this for short(ish) periods of time.

So, for short hills, I think this makes a big difference. For big hills, I think it's the stiff frame (and lack of idlers) that makes the difference.

Yes Charles, now that makes much sense.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
BTW - I wanted to give credit

BTW - I wanted to give credit to Bob aka: Ratz for posting his build diary on BROL. Thanks Ratz!

Ratz's diary along with the images caught my eye and therefore I became intrigued with the engineering-beauty of the Silvio.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
BTW - I wanted to give credit

BTW - I wanted to give credit to Bob aka: Ratz for posting his build diary on BROL. Thanks Ratz!

See? And now we know why Charles always says: "If you don't post a picture, it never happened!"

(And Bob really did a wonderful job of putting that thread together. Having it on BROL instead of here also helped.)

Vargas

To me the most amazing thing about Silvios

To me the most amazing thing about Silvios is how fast they learn to stand up on their own without any kind of support or kickstand, even on grass! This picture is the second one I see with a Silvio standing on its own.

I could never teach my Quest to stand up on its own :(

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
To me the most amazing thing

To me the most amazing thing about Silvios is how fast they learn to stand up on their own without any kind of support or kickstand, even on grass! This picture is the second one I see with a Silvio standing on its own.

I could never teach my Quest to stand up on its own

:D I really enjoyed that way more than I should of.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I want Rick's weather

Last Sunday I turned 1000 miles on my Cruz Bike Silvio 2.0 and thought I would give an update with my impressions thus far.

Congrat's on 1000 miles Rick. I'm only at 550km on the Silvio. Mostly it's just been too cold. But I am settling in nicely. Mileage might be low compared to you, but it is more than I ever get this early in the season. Thanks to the Silvio, if I can stomach the cold, I can ride in the spring winds I never would have dared take on before. I hardly ever check on the wind before riding anymore.

At times I wish I had GPS data going back 30 years, but I've only really had good recording equipment post my 2010 crash.

Screen%20Shot%202014-05-22%20at%203_45_09%20PM.png
Screen%20Shot%202014-05-22%20at%203_48_33%20PM.png

I find that everything you wrote mirrors my experiences so far. Pedal steer what is that? I am still way out of shape and 15lbs heavy yet I'm clobbering Personal Records on every ride. I did a ride for the first time this year, last Sunday, and set 10 new records that previous dated back to 2009. Could not be happier.

I could never teach my Quest to stand up on its own

That's Rick's doing. In a previous post he explains how to make your Quest or Silvio and "upstanding" citizen. Now both my Silvio's and Quests pose for gravity defying pictures. But it was moose that gave me the idea.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I did a ride for the first

I did a ride for the first time this year, last Sunday, and set 10 new records that previous dated back to 2009. Could not be happier.

Bob, you know how that goes, the more time you spend on the machine and acclimate your muscles to it, the faster you are going to be - with that said, it will be no time when you start beating your records you just beat . I too am beating my last year records. However, I have about 15 lbs I need to ditch in order to be at my "appropriate" BMI.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
OK you too, come join me at N24HC next month

OK you too, come join me at this year's N24HC next month ( http://www.n24hc.org/ ) and knock out some more miles with me.

I've been sick and overloaded at work and the weather has also stymied my riding so you both can probably kick my butt.
embarrassed_smile.gif

Looks like only 7 recumbents out of 285 total showing on the roster at the moment: http://www.n24hc.org/Registration-Roster so feel free to come join the fun!

This one really is a lot of fun. I highly recommend everyone try it some time.

-Eric

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Okay here is my GoPro HD

Okay here is my GoPro HD video, that YouTube compressed and ruined! But here it is anyway. Downhill on a very rough road out in the pastures of Cottonwood/Anderson CA.