1st century - longest ride ever

BentAero

even some boxes of indian takeaway

Huh? Is that down-under speak? Is this something you took from the Indians, or ?

but I think your wife may have an issue with you wearing a sports bra.

Umm, it depends, what color would it be?

The two under the seat... which size was this (Adem are offering two different sizes S & M? I had a look on the V and the carbon seat is edged somewhat... perhaps half an inch either side. Did you have to get rid of the edges of the seat to fit the carbon seat bottle cage mount assembly ?

Just make yourself some spacers to bring the cage away from the seat pan. Lowe's/Home Depot has thick white plastic 'washers' in various thicknesses, you could use those or similar. The U-shaped channel I used was just some scrap carbon fiber pieces that I ground down to create a flat surface under the curved seat pan. Kind of overkill, some simple plastic spacers would work fine. You'll have to get/cut the screw length correct so the water bottle doesn't scrape the end of the screw.

When I started riding the V, I didn't dare reach for a bottle while moving. Then I progressed to reaching for it while coasting/stop pedaling. Now I can grab the bottle, drink, put it back with zero fumbling, and never give it a second thought -while peddling at any sane speed.

20140817_192134_zps66acc95e.jpg

20140817_192154_zpsd77fbf40.jpg

20140803_171518_zpsd371fb25.jpg

20150530_163652_zpslznxnpbl.jpg

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
That's a LOT of rim advertising space just wanting to be filled!!!!

That is a good mounting solution, that makes removal and insertion of thre bottle MUCH easier than the standard mounting!!!

trplay

Zen MBB Master
The easiest of all systems is to wear a jersey with back pockets and simply put your water bottles in them. It is working for me.

hurri47

The easiest of all systems is to wear a jersey with back pockets and simply put your water bottles in them. It is working for me.

I have always uncritically assumed back jersey pockets were unusable on recumbents. I never considered a narrow-seat (and I have several) exception. I'll pick up the next yard-sale jersey I see for a tryout. THANK YOU!

-Dan

image.jpg I've currently got three standard bottles in the standard mounting locations. Two under the seat and one on the underside of the steering boom. Use the steering boom bottle mount for in-ride drinking. Swap it out with the under the seat bottles when I stop for a break to check BG. Solves the problem of needing to grab the under the seat bottles while riding. May eventually try ratz's Flexr two bottle setup if I can figure out how to get one of the headrest mounting brackets that he uses.

One of the coolest things about the standard Cruzbike V2o seat is that it lets me use the pockets on the back of a standard bike jersey. I use the outside two pockets for carrying electronics like my phone and quick food. And if I want to carry riding sleeves I can stick them in the middle pocket and they act as a little extra lumbar padding.

I bought the Fastback frame pack from Rose City and it works well for my basic mechanical kit as well as my wallet, BG meter and spare quick food like bars and gels. A word of caution, the pack's zippers pop easily if you overfill the bag. I've done this numerous times.

I'm going to have some custom seat panniers made for Sigr-D when I can afford them. I have a friend who does seamstress work to support her chosen medical charity. They'll be somewhere between MoosePockets and the SoloRacers. I want to be able to commute and need space for clothes and my lunch kit, both of which need volume. One time when being larger and needing to pack extra emergency food is a disadvantage.

Last edited:

Lief

Guru Schmuru
I'm actually liking a 2L Camelback on my front (aka CamelFront) when riding the Vendetta - with some pockets on the top for other things like phone, meds, HammerGel (rarely used), sunscreen, etc. They are very easy to access.
I haven't tested it yet (chung or rolldown) but I think (Elliot was the first to mention it) with the CamelFront I *could* be MORE aero than without it. At least it doesn't appear to be much of a penalty.
Especially so with my under-boom bottle in place - there just isn't a whole lot of air...there. :)

Last night I bought a couple of the cage extenders from ToPeak (thanks to Ratz for the tip - http://goo.gl/tXDuzG) into which I will put two bottles on the back.
That should give me 3 bottles available + my 70L camelfront.

I'll put this on tonight and get to testing it on some longer rides this weekend.
It's not as elegant as Ratz' design methinks but should do the trick and I'm okay with that.
I may even spend the time to cover them with some fancy yellow coroplast ala LaOz.

one last note - I'm beginning to see JUST how easy it is to reach under the seat and fiddle with that area in the triangle between the rear wheel and the seat.
I bet I could put something like THIS (http://goo.gl/Oz4it6) under there and have access to say...electrolyte pills? sunscreen? lip balm? - all easily discernible by feel (fingerless gloves).
Hmmmmmm.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
I have always uncritically assumed back jersey pockets were unusable on recumbents. I never considered a narrow-seat (and I have several) exception. I'll pick up the next yard-sale jersey I see for a tryout. THANK YOU!
Works on a Silvio 1.0 quite well.
Vendetta?....I think I'm too laid back and the vittles may be breadcrumbs along your path.
Not sure about the S30.

I'm actually liking a 2L Camelback on my front (aka CamelFront) when riding the Vendetta - with some pockets on the top for other things like phone, meds, HammerGel (rarely used), sunscreen, etc. They are very easy to access.
I haven't tested it yet (chung or rolldown) but I think (Elliot was the first to mention it) with the CamelFront I *could* be MORE aero than without it. At least it doesn't appear to be much of a penalty.
Especially so with my under-boom bottle in place - there just isn't a whole lot of air...there. :)

Last night I bought a couple of the cage extenders from ToPeak (thanks to Ratz for the tip - http://goo.gl/tXDuzG) into which I will put two bottles on the back.
That should give me 3 bottles available + my 70L camelfront.

I'll put this on tonight and get to testing it on some longer rides this weekend.
It's not as elegant as Ratz' design methinks but should do the trick and I'm okay with that.
I may even spend the time to cover them with some fancy yellow coroplast ala LaOz.

one last note - I'm beginning to see JUST how easy it is to reach under the seat and fiddle with that area in the triangle between the rear wheel and the seat.
I bet I could put something like THIS (http://goo.gl/Oz4it6) under there and have access to say...electrolyte pills? sunscreen? lip balm? - all easily discernible by feel (fingerless gloves).
Hmmmmmm.
Lief can we get a picture of how you've rigged the camelfront? I already own a Camelback system and would be interested in seeing ideas for mounting it on the V20.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
if I can figure out how to get one of the headrest mounting brackets that he uses

The topeak solution from last year should be good for a short term solution and it's cheap. This years' version, stay tuned there might be news on that front pending. Mrs ratz's frame should get here this week and then the next round of beta tests can get back on track.

The topeak solution from last year should be good for a short term solution and it's cheap. This years' version, stay tuned there might be news on that front pending. Mrs ratz's frame should get here this week and then the next round of beta tests can get back on track.
Ratz, I haven't been able to find the post with that headrest mounting bracket. All the posts I've seen have the custom silver one you had made. (Not referring here to the custom extender you had made for the lights/camera but rather the clamp that attaches the whole assembly to the headrest tubes.)

Suz

I won't pass judgment on anybody's clothing choice, but in case some of you out there don't want to wear a sports bra, I use a retractable ID clip to attach the hose to my shirt. Has the advantage that I can stand up before I need to remember to take it off.

31jsS6BAqqL.jpg

Charles, you're brilliant. My work badge will now have to stay in my pocket. I used this today on my morning ride and it was brilliant. Thanks.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Lief can we get a picture of how you've rigged the camelfront? I already own a Camelback system and would be interested in seeing ideas for mounting it on the V20.
Abbott, it's rigged on me - not the bike.
You can see it getting "rigged" up here - bad quality I admit. I'll see what I can do about a better shot esp on bike.
BAWANTS1.jpg

Abbott, it's rigged on me - not the bike.
You can see it getting "rigged" up here - bad quality I admit. I'll see what I can do about a better shot esp on bike.
BAWANTS1.jpg
Ok. That makes sense. Won't work for me because I don't have the space to wear it and sit up. I already pull my chest into the handlebars when I pull forward.

Here is an alternative to the Topeak cage mount that I like better (I have both) and that allows finer adjustment of the angle: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CJZ9HW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
I already got two of these based off your earlier recommendation. Set them up with your configuration then decided to go with the underseat mounts. Used the cage brakets off the Minouras in lieu of nuts and washers. Under the seat pad they worked like a charm.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Here is an alternative to the Topeak cage mount that I like better (I have both) and that allows finer adjustment of the angle: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CJZ9HW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Yep the Minoura one is probably a better all around clamp (I have a several of them from the trike days) the adapter is stronger sans the ability to quickly remove the entire assembly for sprints and other light weight events; The only thing I didn't like was it was closer to the bar leaving less room to outfit the hoses. but it definitely will work.

Used the cage brakets off the Minouras in lieu of nuts and washers. Under the seat pad they worked like a charm.
Very wise I've seen a few other people do that too.

Not that many people have the new carbon seat but more everyday. Someone should make a PDF template of where to drill the holes on the older seat. I used our carbon one as a template to modify the older fiber seat; worked like a charm the positioning is just about perfect.

Last edited: