1st century - longest ride ever

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Here is an alternative to the Topeak cage mount that I like better
Thanks Joseph - I think I might do that. Installed the Topeak ones last night and they just feel chinzy - floppy. Especially a problem with aggressive cages for my bottles.

Bruce B

then decided to go with the underseat mounts. Used the cage brakets off the Minouras in lieu of nuts and washers. Under the seat pad they worked like a charm.
Is each cage bracket attached to the seat with a single bolt? Does the bottle cage prevent rotation of the cage bracket after installation?

Is each cage bracket attached to the seat with a single bolt? Does the bottle cage prevent rotation of the cage bracket after installation?
The Minouras are designed to allow for rotation of the cage around a single bolt that is in turn attached to the metal band that wraps around a tube on the bike. I originally hooked them up this way. Then changed my mind.

I dismantled the unit and removed the cage bracket and the two bolts that secure the cage to the bracket. I am not using the center bolt or the strapping mechanism. The brackets have threaded holes that act in lieu of nuts to secure a cage to the bracket. I then placed this bracket over the pre-drilled holes in the carbon V20 seat pan. By running the bolts through my cage and then through the seat, I was able to then screw them into to the threaded holes on the bracket. The center of the bracket protrudes upward say a quarter inch, but this isn't a problem because it ends up underneath the seat cushion.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Thanks Joseph - I think I might do that. Installed the Topeak ones last night and they just feel chinzy - floppy. Especially a problem with aggressive cages for my bottles.

For those I had to drill new holes in the aluminum band because the head rest bar is so thin. Same with the minora ones. The electric tape a rubber strip to the headrest bat for vibration control and bolt the clamp on. First one was a pain then easy. Worked great unit the plastic failed from road vibration near the end of the season. Hence the custom soluton we are debugging

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Worked great unit the plastic failed from road vibration near the end of the season. Hence the custom soluton we are debugging
I have a penchant for over tightening things - I'm thinking my plastic portion will fail sooner.

I'm in the market for a custom solution. I'll contribute kickstarter cash?

Jeremy S

Dude
Sorry if this is derailing the thread too much but it's been going in this direction.

With the goal of being able to carry an additional water bottle and access it while riding, here's what the simple setup I rigged up today, using the Topeak adapter (have not taken this on the road yet):

IMG_9942.jpg

The Topeak adapter seems clamped on to the headrest tube well, after I replaced the thin stock plastic pad with a thicker one.

Some issues:

(1) The taillight is obscured from the right side. Not ideal but I don't actually ride in the dark so not a deal breaker for me at this point.
(2) The extra-large bottle just clears my helmet when I sit on the bike, after I moved the bottle cage as low as I could, without removing the pack.
(3) The pack is squashed down by the bottle/cage, still accessible but storage might be a bit compromised (and the pack cannot go any lower without altering the straps, there is one hidden underneath the seat and just above where the frame tube ends).

Those are minor issues that I might be able to clear up, but my biggest concern is:

(4) While I can easily remove the bottle from the cage while sitting on the bike, it takes quite a lot of fiddling to put it back. I can't imagine being able to do this while riding, although maybe I could learn.

Am I sort of on the right track here? Have others had issues taking out/putting back bottles mounted behind the headrest without having to stop?

EDIT: I rode with this setup yesterday. It works as a way to carry another bottle, but not to drink while on the move. I could reach back and take out the water bottle while riding, but I was holding it the wrong way to drink easily, and after a lot of fumbling I could not put the bottle back. I did not feel safe fumbling around while moving, so I'm giving up. Now thinking about something behind the seat with hoses (I've seen that in Ratz's photos) or somehow getting a bottle onto the boom (my Silvio 2.0 has no bottle mounting holes there).

Last edited:

ratz

Am I sort of on the right track here?
That's pretty much the path that lead me to where I'm at. To get the bottle lower I moved the bag to the side of the headrest and used two of them to balance it out. With Practice it get's easier to the bottle out.

The light issue why I went with two bottle holders and then crafted a way to mount the light between them and behind them.

Last edited:

Jeremy S

Dude
That's pretty much the path that lead me to where I'm at. To get the bottle lower I moved the back to the side of the headrest and used two of them to balance it out. With Practice it get's easier to the bottle out.

The light issue why I went with two bottle holders and then crafted a way to mount the light between them and behind them.

Yup I remember seeing your setup on another thread. Maybe I should give up on simple and try to replicate it.

ratz

Yup I remember seeing your setup on another thread. Maybe I should give up on simple and try to replicate it.
Frankly the only hard part is decided on which of the 10 was to hang the two bags is best. None is perfect and several are good and for me art least the leads to indecision

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I too am using the "quiver" bottle mode, almost, but not quite copied from ratz. Has worked well for nearly 3000 miles of touring.
I place additional water bottles in the front pocket of the Banana-racer bags, which can each hold a bottle.
... and then I found out that wearing leg and arm *coolers* reduced my water needs so much that I didn't need a 3rd or 4th bottle, at least for anything under ~100 (flat) miles and 90 degrees.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
What make of "coolers" were you using as I used SuGoi arm coolers/sunscreen in 42C (104 F) days in Canada in 2013 and cooked in them, so just resorted to 50+ sun screen and LOTS and LOTS of water, and ICE SLUSHES at petrol stations!

On a 80 mile ride through the Rockies From Vancouver to Jasper, then to Calgary, I would go through 5 to 8 off 600 mL(20 F.oz) water bottles depending on temperature from 25 C (77F) to 38C (100 F)

I received a few comments when I pulled into a Petrol station, that had service court attendants, and asked one to fill her up!!!! 91 rated Water!!
At least the Canadians have a good sense of humor!!!

Last edited:
What make of "coolers" were you using as I used SuGoi arm coolers/sunscreen in 42C (104 F) days in Canada in 2013 and cooked in them, so just resorted to 50+ sun screen and LOTS and LOTS of water, and ICE SLUSHES at petrol stations!

On a 80 mile ride through the Rockies From Vancouver to Jasper, then to Calgary, I would go through 5 to 8 off 600 mL(20 F.oz) water bottles depending on temperature from 25 C (77F) to 38C (100 F)

I received a few comments when I pulled into a Petrol station, that had service court attendants, and asked one to fill her up!!!! 91 rated Water!!
At least the Canadians have a good sense of humor!!!
You have to keep the coolers wet and have a breeze or be moving on the bike. Sweat alone doesn't cut it. Pull them down to your wrists when you're stopped in dead air. Makes them easy to get wet under a water fountain, too. I have the Columbia sleeves. Water you use on the sleeves doesn't have to be cold either, but it helps some initially.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
As battleaxe0 says, you have to keep some wind over the coolers.
For, sweat is enough assuming there is wind (often self-generated).
When there isn't wind, I find they're still better than being in the sun, however, I'll need more water.
Often, though, I find that I get cooled on the descents....

And I'm using the Sugoi arm coolers (they fit the best) and the Castelli lycra leg coolers (again, they fit the best).

The underarmor heatgear shirts are made of the same material. I pour water down my back, into my helmet, and on my arms coolers.

jond

Zen MBB Master
The topeak solution from last year should be good for a short term solution and it's cheap. This years' version, stay tuned there might be news on that front pending. Mrs ratz's frame should get here this week and then the next round of beta tests can get back on track.
yes i copied ratz's solution for hydration and storage but used my old camelback hose drilled out a standard bidon. held in place with a retractable lanyard to underseat cage.ordered some aero bottles for under seat as standards rub the paint. so can carry2.5 litres enough for a hot day . dont use boom mount.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Abbott, it's rigged on me - not the bike.
You can see it getting "rigged" up here - bad quality I admit. I'll see what I can do about a better shot esp on bike.
BAWANTS1.jpg
ahhh not a camelback but a pregnant camel...

jond

Zen MBB Master
Sorry if this is derailing the thread too much but it's been going in this direction.

With the goal of being able to carry an additional water bottle and access it while riding, here's what the simple setup I rigged up today, using the Topeak adapter (have not taken this on the road yet):

View attachment 615

The Topeak adapter seems clamped on to the headrest tube well, after I replaced the thin stock plastic pad with a thicker one.

Some issues:

(1) The taillight is obscured from the right side. Not ideal but I don't actually ride in the dark so not a deal breaker for me at this point.
(2) The extra-large bottle just clears my helmet when I sit on the bike, after I moved the bottle cage as low as I could, without removing the pack.
(3) The pack is squashed down by the bottle/cage, still accessible but storage might be a bit compromised (and the pack cannot go any lower without altering the straps, there is one hidden underneath the seat and just above where the frame tube ends).

Those are minor issues that I might be able to clear up, but my biggest concern is:

(4) While I can easily remove the bottle from the cage while sitting on the bike, it takes quite a lot of fiddling to put it back. I can't imagine being able to do this while riding, although maybe I could learn.

Am I sort of on the right track here? Have others had issues taking out/putting back bottles mounted behind the headrest without having to stop?

EDIT: I rode with this setup yesterday. It works as a way to carry another bottle, but not to drink while on the move. I could reach back and take out the water bottle while riding, but I was holding it the wrong way to drink easily, and after a lot of fumbling I could not put the bottle back. I did not feel safe fumbling around while moving, so I'm giving up. Now thinking about something behind the seat with hoses (I've seen that in Ratz's photos) or somehow getting a bottle onto the boom (my Silvio 2.0 has no bottle mounting holes there).
be sure to use some old inner tube wrapped around headrest tube. insulate the connection between headrest and mount. i replaced the brass female boss on the mounts with a decent nyloc nut for longevity of the set up. so far so good. rock solid.

Martinius Berg

Both Ortlieb and Roswheel have very nice bags to store just enough to have your sandwich or other small stuff with you. I bought a nice Ortlieb waterproof bag and mounted it on top in center of the steering bar. Its possible to lock it to.

Martinius.