2012: Wrapping It Up and Planning 2013

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Man I really hate those

Man I really hate those captchas on your blog....

Can you expand on your experiences with self supported UMCA type racing? Spares list? Carry everything on the bike? Toss it under strategic bushes, rocks, dig a cache hole, etc along the route? Mooch some help from other's crews?

Think total UMCA noob thinking of doing the solo 12 hour Bike Sebring in about 7 weeks....

John, the Cruzbike.com ones are easier but still a pain sometime.

I like this captcha system: http://areyouahuman.com/

-Eric

psychling

Eric .. on long unsupported rides and Sebring this year ...

On long rides through known but desolate territory I do sometimes drive the route and leave water at stragetic locations. It proved to be a real lifesaver once.

As I got to the turnaround point of a long and hilly training ride I discovered that the water bladder in my bag was almost empty. Somewhere along the way the tube from the bladder to the bite valve got nicked by the spokes and there was a small hole. The water was slowly draining out of the bladder.

I have about 9 twelve inch strips of electrical tape taped to the seat under the pad so I used a piece of one to wrap around and plug the leak. I filled my water bladder with two bottles of stashed water and drank another bottle on the spot. The temp on my Garmin recorded 113F. Eighty-eight miles and 8,800 feet of climbing.

When on long unsupported trips I typically carry:

• 3 tubes;
• 1 tire (folded and ziptied behind and under the seat);
• 4 CO2 cartridges and valve release;
• 1 small micro handpump;
• 1 foilwrap emergency blanket (cold);
• 1 pair of finger gloves / lobster gloves (dep on how cold it is);
• Maybe some chemical toe and finger warmers;
• 1 pair of armwarmers;
• 1 micro rain coat;
• toilet paper;
• small plastic bags;
• tire levers;
• master chain links;
• various little tools.

Cellphones are useless 95% of the time due to lack of coverage.

Tomorrow morning it's supposed to be in the teens up here but probably in the 30's to low 40's down the other side of the mountain. The plan is to drive to the other side of the mountain and do 18 miles down and 18 miles up about 3 - 4 times, (6,000 - 8,000 ft of climbing) depending on when I get a start (daylight).

I wear insulated socks, Mtn bike shoes (spd), merino wool longjohns, regular cycling shorts over that, external catheter, merino wool long sleeve jersey, merino wool cycling jersey over that, arm warmers (the best are long woolen socks with the toes cut off ... the inside out), a bright yellow wind breaker, a separate set of `arm wings' of the same material as the windbreaker, small skull cap.

Sometimes I'll put a pair of long, lightweight poofy pants in the bag that have never failed me, even in the windiest, wettest weather.

Given the 3-season weather around here in the Fall, Winter and Spring I'm often taking off and putting on clothes, depending on the weather and situation.

I run no-name wheels with Conti Gatorskins with tire liners. The 87 and 7 mile lap will have all the repair gear described above in the seatbag.

I'll use two bladders with tubes coming out either side of the bag. The first bladder (80 oz) will hold water. The other bladder (48 oz) will hold a maltodextrin and whey protein mixture that I've used for years. Fairly dense but it holds about 1500 calories. I can ride for several hours without having to be concerned about water or fuel. I carry electrolyte pills and caffeine pills in a little plastic bottle. I doubt it but I may have a stash of peanut butter and bread pockets on the closed course.

When I get to the closed course section of Sebring I'll pitch most of the stuff in the seatbag, except for the fuel and water. I'll pop a regular DF seatbag with just tire levers, a CO2 cartridge and a tube into the seatbag. Much lighter. I'll also get rid of the spare tire zip tied to the seat.

Since I'm riding self-support I'll stop to fill the bladders with water and premixed fuel when needed. The two days preceding the race I'll be on a liquid diet. I'll stop ingesting caffeine 2 - 3 weeks before the race so that the caffeine pills have more punch, if I need them.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Dan is kicking my butt in the

Dan is kicking my butt in the UMCA Indoor Challenge but at least I've now managed to complete and submit 2 separate 2 hour roller sessions so I am currently tied for last with someone named Peter Leiss instead just being dead last.

My first session was 11/14/2012 on my Diamondback. Second was today 1/1/2013 on the Quest. I've been riding outside when I could before now and it took me a while to get up to speed on rollers with the Quest when work, family, and holiday issues made riding a bit too challenging.

http://ultracycling.com/sections/standings/indoor_challenge.php?year=2013

Bright and sunny 22F outside today but most of the roads I ride a still crappy so I will continue to rack up indoor miles until the roads are better. Warmer would be nicer too but at least we are back to the days getting longer again!

-Eric

psychling

Indoor training

We must have been very, very bad boys in our previous life to find ourselves willfully doing indoor work. But I'm trying to add some variety to the misery:

Just wrapped up the first of two training sessions today. It was 11F in a few of the hollows on the mountain. I don't ride the mountain when there has been snow and freezing temps: black ice just where you don't need it.

Instead, took off from 3 miles up the mountain from Wilhoit to Kirkland and back. 2100 ft of climbing over 26.5 miles. Still, it was 14F when I left and 50 when I returned. THAT is what the sun does at altitude.

I wore everything I had: insulated socks, merino leggings, leg warmers, pair of Reverse Gear shorts and a set of nylon windbreaker pants. Top was merino long jersey, arm length poofy wool armwarmers, two wool jerseys, a windbreaker and ANOTHER windbreaker. A balaclava, a skull cap. A pair of warm lobster gloves and a lobster gloves shell.

I felt like the Pillsbury doughboy.

Just finished a 2 hour nap and heading to the shed for 2 hours of indoor work at HRZ1 and HRZ2.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Measuring tire pressure after flat repair?

Hi Dan,

Do you (and others) use a tire gage to check tire pressure after you've re-inflated from repairing a flat during a race? If so, what are you using for a pressure gage?

I've been using a foot pump with a built-in gage and my old portable gage is strictly for Schraeder valves as well as not being able to measure high enough for road tires even with a presta to schraeder adapter.

Anyone carrying around a presta gage? Or use adapters with a schraeder gage? Or no gage - go by feel?

Thanks,

-Eric

psychling

pressure

In a race I just fill it til it feels hard.

On a training ride ... I just fill it til it feels hard.

The only time I really measure the psi is with the floor pump.