2016 Calvin's Challenge video

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Hi All,
Here is a link to the first video I have published of the 2016 Calvin's race.
It is the last 30 minutes, which was really the most exciting part
I do have about an hour of footage from support and all 12 hours of the race. I will be putting together a "highlight reel" with a little of everything the day, but it may take me awhile to sift through all of it.

Hope you enjoy it!

hoyden

I see what you mean by black clouds. That was an incredible feat of stamina and perseverance. Well done.

SamP

Guru
I don't think I've seen it mentioned anywhere, so was Billy on the same lap as you? I tried to check the race results but the 12-hour results pdf (linked from facebook) is 404 for me.

LarryOz

You speak kindly of Billy, nice of you not to make an issue of his youth and inexperience.
Thansk - but I wish I had his youth - and I think he's been riding/racing for longer than me - I think he's more into tir's though! :0

I don't think I've seen it mentioned anywhere, so was Billy on the same lap as you? I tried to check the race results but the 12-hour results pdf (linked from facebook) is 404 for me.
Yes - he was on the same lap as me - He caught me because I was really loffing off those last 2 hours - He ended up with 250 miles - same as me!
I saw on his FB page that he was thanking a fellow riding friend for helping him through the 4th- 50 mile lap.
That 50 mile loop was a hard ride alone, in the cold, and in the rain for sure - especially loop #4!

LarryOz

I will say it again you are Superman
Thanks Skip for the Ego boost (I feel all warm and fuzzy now! ;)) - although I suspect that most any of you who could get out there and ride about 2 hours a day could probably do pretty much the same thing! :)
I'm just an "old man on a fast bike".

LMT

Good video, also shows the aero advantage of riding a recumbent. Based on my own experience I'd say Billy was putting out about 250 watts ish, maybe a bit more to be doing 24mph. I don't think yours got above 200w. Nice job again.:)

SamP

Guru
Thanks Skip for the Ego boost (I feel all warm and fuzzy now! ;)) - although I suspect that most any of you who could get out there and ride about 2 hours a day could probably do pretty much the same thing! :)
I'm just an "old man on a fast bike".

I'd have to say you're a pretty darn fit old man on a fast bike.

(I just checked the 2015 results so now I know you're not an old man to me... I've got barely a decade on you!)

LarryOz

(I just checked the 2015 results so now I know you're not an old man to me... I've got barely a decade on you!)
Funny - real life thing just happened to me today: I was walking out of the local tag office where I renewed the tag for my truck.
I passed a guy, who "in my estimation", was my "elder" - i.e. older than me.
Hi said "Hi, you came on the right day - no lines", and he said "Yes - Sir!"

Moral of the story - When a guy you think is older than you says "Yes, Sir" to you, you are officially "old"! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::(

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Funny - real life thing just happened to me today: I was walking out of the local tag office where I renewed the tag for my truck.
I passed a guy, who "in my estimation", was my "elder" - i.e. older than me.
Hi said "Hi, you came on the right day - no lines", and he said "Yes - Sir!"

Moral of the story - When a guy you think is older than you says "Yes, Sir" to you, you are officially "old"! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::(
First rule of customer service. The guy paying is always sir

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
you want to be someone... Just put your name on yer rear disc

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Absolutely amazing! Poor old Piston Legs Billy wasn't banking on Turbo Legs Larry!

Did Billy take second or was he actually a lap behind when he passed you?

Congratulations yet again, Larry, not only on the splendid victory but on your dedication to training, fitness, and to your faith. Well done, brother!

LarryOz

First rule of customer service. The guy paying is always sir
He was not serving me - he was just a guy I passed on the sidewalk as I was leaving the tag office! hah

Did Billy take second or was he actually a lap behind when he passed you?
Congratulations yet again, Larry, not only on the splendid victory but on your dedication to training, fitness, and to your faith. Well done, brother!
Yes - Billy got the same mileage as I did.
Thanks so much Kline!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Larry, lucky your competitive nature, AND strong non cramping legs, out sprinted that young whipper snapper for 1st place!!
GREAT Ride, under extreme weather AND road conditions!!!
Going slow around those gravel and water covered corners was the wise decision!!!
With your shoe covers, were your feet warm, as my feet and calves cramp up if my feet get cold and wet for more than 2 hours!?

I think you will remember this race for a long time, not only for the great result, but the conditions you rode in with no problems, other than frozen hands!

KiwiGuy

Larry, you are 'the man' on so many levels. I'm impressed by your focus on going after 'Billy The Rocket's' wheel on multiple occasions (the guy is clearly a powerful rider), the speed with which you completed the final kilometers after almost 12 hours of riding, and the benefits of the diet you followed which allowed you to compete on so few carb calories.

Massive effort. Well done. You're a true champion.

Kind regards.... Blair

LarryOz

With your shoe covers, were your feet warm, as my feet and calves cramp up if my feet get cold and wet for more than 2 hours!?

I think you will remember this race for a long time, not only for the great result, but the conditions you rode in with no problems, other than frozen hands!
Thanks slim - My feet unfortunately still got wet, as I should have plugged up the "ventilation" hole that was on the front of the shoes. The recumbent foot position just sticks those holes front and center, practically inviting rain water in. My feet were soaking wet when done, but I still think the covers still helped.
Yes - the harder the ride is, the "better" you remember it! Kind of gets harder and more gruesome with each tell too, like the "big" fish story!

Larry, you are 'the man' on so many levels. I'm impressed by your focus on going after 'Billy The Rocket's' wheel on multiple occasions (the guy is clearly a powerful rider), the speed with which you completed the final kilometers after almost 12 hours of riding, and the benefits of the diet you followed which allowed you to compete on so few carb calories.
Massive effort. Well done. You're a true champion.
Kind regards.... Blair

Thanks Blair - that is very kind of you. Please email me at "larryoslund@gmail.com" - I would like to pick your brain about Lake Taupe ride. It is on my bucket list - need I say more. :)

Great job Larry! Congrats on another win at Calvins. Thanks for taking the time to edit and post the video.
Thanks Alan - It is a labor of love - and it is my honor to share it with the tribe!

Last edited: