2016 Calvin's Challenge video

Dave Arnold

Hi All,
Here is a link to the first video I have published of the 2016 Calvin's race.
It is the last 30 minutes, which was really the most exciting part
I do have about an hour of footage from support and all 12 hours of the race. I will be putting together a "highlight reel" with a little of everything the day, but it may take me awhile to sift through all of it.

Hope you enjoy it!

Larry, that was awesome! I watched all of it.

Dave

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Oddly enough I watched it twice... Very good. So why did Billy's the rocket accelerated better out of the corners, was it because he had two chain wheels?

Bill K

Guru
Great ride, and a great video!
The highlights, in my mind:
Winning (of course)!
A 28 mph sprint after racing for 11 3/4 hours.
Going by the start/finish line time after time after time, and not stopping for a little "warm up" hot chocolate, or a dry jacket, or a dry pair of shoes. That's what it takes to win!
I'll bet once Billy the Rocket passed you, suddenly you didn't even notice it was raining.

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
I do have about an hour of footage from support and all 12 hours of the race. I will be putting together a "highlight reel" with a little of everything the day, but it may take me awhile to sift through all of it.

How's this project progressing? Yes, I'm being rude. Can't wait to see it.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
How's this project progressing? Yes, I'm being rude. Can't wait to see it.
Too many projects - too little time! (I've still got all these bikes to test too! - When am I going to do that!)

Sorry, I have been a slacker - not really - but this past weekend we just finished moving from one house to another - took up most of my "free" time.
Now a mountain of boxes to upload, etc, etc.
I'll still try and have something out within the next week!

jond

Zen MBB Master
larry thoroughly enjoyed the video. what everyone else said my brother is so true. hanging onto the rocket with his lighter faster accelerating bike was just awesome. i was squirming every time you rode around a corner crossing paint lines and gravel. you won in the toughest conditions and it deserves becoming the legend of the biggest fish my friend. congratulations on such a tenacious effort . dont know how you handle those bars. the constant spray in your face must have been so difficult not to mention being rain and sweat soaked for 12 hours. lots of sunshine for your next challenge i pray. thanks for sharing so modestly something so great. champion oz.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
larry thoroughly enjoyed the video. what everyone else said my brother is so true. hanging onto the rocket with his lighter faster accelerating bike was just awesome. i was squirming every time you rode around a corner crossing paint lines and gravel. you won in the toughest conditions and it deserves becoming the legend of the biggest fish my friend. congratulations on such a tenacious effort . dont know how you handle those bars. the constant spray in your face must have been so difficult not to mention being rain and sweat soaked for 12 hours. lots of sunshine for your next challenge i pray. thanks for sharing so modestly something so great. champion oz.
I heard a rumor that Larry's secret training included being waterboarded by the CIA for 12 hours to prepare for the rain at Calvin's.

LarryOz

Thank Jon - I was a real "nail-bitter" of a race. And I can honestly say I was sure praying "a awfully lot that day"!

I think in all of the "victories" that all of us have (learning to ride Cruzbike, first Century, besting a DF up a hill, sprinting for the city limit sign, etc), there is also an element of "luck' involved.
Luck that we didn't flat, or slide out around the wet corner, or have someone crash in front of us, or get run over by an angry driver or a distracted driver.
I've seen many quotes on luck, like:
"The harder I work, the luckier I get",
"I a great beleiver in kuck, and I find that the harder I work, the more I have of it" (Thomas Jefferson - some famous guy from American history. :) ), or my favorite:
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity".

I am so "lucky" to be surrounded by this great group of cyclists and encouragers.
- I always feel like a winner, even if I flat and crash (Is that "bad luck", or just an opportunity for someone else who prepared? i.e. Sebring 2016) - It's all good stuff!

p.s. Hey - I'm thinking about doing Lake Taupo this year - so .... who knows - we might get to ride together this year.... :) (I just need to work out about 1000 details....)

jond

Zen MBB Master
Thank Jon - I was a real "nail-bitter" of a race. And I can honestly say I was sure praying "a awfully lot that day"!

mate you make your own luck and i like the prep meeting the opportunity. your prayers were answered and your vigilance won out. not to mention the exciting speedy finish :)

larry Lake Taupo is in New Zealand and has 1600m ascent each lap. the ultra is over 1200klm and would be extreme cycling even at audax pace!!!!!!!!!!!. what event are you looking at at Lake taupo? and you do know you will be cycling upside down right :)

super slim

Zen MBB Master
mate you make your own luck and i like the prep meeting the opportunity. your prayers were answered and your vigilance won out. not to mention the exciting speedy finish :)

larry Lake Taupo is in New Zealand and has 1600m ascent each lap. the ultra is over 1200klm and would be extreme cycling even at audax pace!!!!!!!!!!!. what event are you looking at at Lake taupo? and you do know you will be cycling upside down right :)
AND you WILL need to wear your gnome hut to KEEP you upside down!

Sam H

Love the video! How did you get all that data on the corners of the screen? I've seen this for car racing but not bikes. I love it. I want it :)

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Awhile back I saw the results for this race and honestly thought "huh I could have easily gone further then 250 miles in 12hrs". Then I heard there was some wind and rain and thought "well maybe it was a bit harder with the weather". Then I watched the video and thought "we'll hell, it's probably best to leave the difficult races to the real men and women of the sport while I enjoy kick back here in CA".

SamP

Guru
Love the video! How did you get all that data on the corners of the screen? I've seen this for car racing but not bikes. I love it. I want it :)

I think that was VIRB Edit, which Garmin gives away to VIRB owners (an action camera). It takes video and track data (GPS, sensors, there's a couple of "standard" file formats which a lot of bike computers, GPS watches, etc output). GoPro recently bought DashWare which has similar software, the old version is now free to use. There are others out there, commercial to open source, but I suspect these are the two most popular for non-motorized sports.

LarryOz

Awhile back I saw the results for this race and honestly thought "huh I could have easily gone further then 250 miles in 12hrs". Then I heard there was some wind and rain and thought "well maybe it was a bit harder with the weather". Then I watched the video and thought "we'll hell, it's probably best to leave the difficult races to the real men and women of the sport while I enjoy kick back here in CA".

Thanks Jason - It would have been real hard to go much faster with those conditions (although I did slow it down a little the last 2 hours before Billy passed me. (I guess if you're not close to a record, then you do what you have to to win).
Last year I did 264 miles practically solo since I was a newbie and could not draft much.

We should still try and work on getting you over to the N24HC for June 18th. I might could swing picking you up at the airport depending on when you're flight would come in. Check flights to Grand Rapids. I was going to camp at the school (in my car), but would be willing to split a hotel room with you if it would help. Joe and Kevin will be there too, so between the 3 of us, we should be able to help you out some. (Send me a private message or email if you want to pursue it)

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I'd probably do a Mtb race in New Mexico that same weekend before I'd commit to the N24HC but if something changes I'll let you know. You'll probably have to wait for Sebring next year to include me in a paceline.

LarryOz

You'll probably have to wait for Sebring next year to include me in a paceline.
Kevin and I where just talking about this! We are already planning to do the 24 in Sebring in 2017 since they repaved the track (Track was the biggest downer - really rough, ruts, holes, cracks, and bad lighting)
This would be the perfect venue for high mileage! Marko B. did 533 this year - will probably do more next!
Now since they have re-paved the track - we just have to talk the sponsor into getting the race track letting them use the lights at night instead of putting those little red tail lights in the middle of the track every so often.
There is always something to complain about! haha!
It will be fun when we can finally ride together in some event! :)