2016 Calvin's Challenge - who's going??

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Just a quick note to remind everyone of the Calvin's Challenge event this coming April, 30 in Springfield, Ohio.
http://www.calvinschallenge.com/

Last year, this was my first 12 hour race on my Vendetta, and to my recollection, we had at least 4 Vendettas there representing Cruzbike: Jim, Maria, Ben and myself.

So far this year, I plan on going, Ben is signed up, and Kevin Gambill (the cyborg-machine-man) would rode 276 miles in Sebring this last Feb will also be there. I am not sure about Jim and Maria, but I sure hope they go too, especially since this might be the last year the event is held. :(

If you ever wanted to partake in a 12-hour event (or even a Century) and you are within 8 hours - make the drive - you won't be dissappointed. The Venue is great, and the promise perfect weather. The roads are flat. The fellowship is awesome!
Heck - even if you don't ride, come and cheer the rest of us on - and hand us bottles as we go by!

Hope to see some of you there:
Jason, Lief, Rick - you have an excuse since on the West coast, but who knows.... :)
Joe - no excuses - you are closer than me
Ratz - well - you and the wife should go since your on this side of the country even though pretty far away - but Ben is farther!
Hardy - you're no much farther than me - come up through Asheville and we can car-pool
.... and many more... and of course last but not least - my buddy Jon:
Jon - OK - you have the ultimate excuse being "down-unda", but I'm still dreaming that one day we'll do an event together. (How about Lake Taupo in late November - Maybe I'll do a "go-fund-me"!!)

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Ratz - well - you and the wife should go since your on this side of the country even though pretty far away - but Ben is farther!
I'll be in Vegas on Business but I can put wagers down on the winner... Western Union me your bets. :rolleyes:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Yeah - we have 4! Ben said that the Parkers will not be there this year. Too bad - we will miss them!

There are a total of 12 male recumbent riders in the 12-hour. 4 of them Vendettas!

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Well, the weather finally warmed up today so I went out for my first group ride of the season. I really wanted to gauge the effectiveness of my winter training program and the new tweaks I added - before doing a 12-hour race! So, time for an experiment. Do we have any lab rats available? Oh yes, a whole parking lot full! I pulled into the LBS parking lot on the bat bike. Not a word was spoken. Speechless. This is the new, improved Vendetta with the custom, matte black powder coat, which is a very fast color, as you know. They remembered me, of course, but not because I was just another weirdo on a weird bike. I was becoming an extremely fast weirdo on an extremely fast, weird bike at the end of last season. Then winter came along and foiled my well laid plans for ride domination! But I digress. Back at the parking lot... The usual suspects were present. Fast A riders included. Oh, my pretties! (Wizard of Oz quote). Or, my precious (if you're a Golem fan). These bastards have been doing group rides for a few weeks already without me, so they have no excuses for being a winey bunch of losers. We left the parking lot and rode to the street where we take off out of town and the pace picked up significantly. But I felt like it was too slow, so... I passed the group and went off the front early. I know, it was a dick move, but this is science for crap's sake! I had no choice in the matter. They chased and chased and rotated out to rest, but I easily kept out front for miles and miles. In my defense, I was messing around with my new Garmin 520 while torturing the group, so I couldn't focus entirely on enjoying it. Okay, you got me. I enjoyed it a little bit, maybe a lot. I don't know, I'm old and I can't remember. Finally, I slowed down so they could catch up, then I made them work to stay with me for a while. I moved around back because a hill was coming up. They started up the hill and I moved to the left and passed them going up the hill. I wanted to make sure they didn't attribute my speed only to the bike, as if I'm riding a cheater bike. My bike is about 11 pounds heavier than their carbon wonderbread bikes. It takes a lot of power to go faster up hill and haul 11 more pounds. One guy jumped off the front of the group and tried to catch me, but he blew up at the top (smell ya later dude) and faded in my mirrors as I descended more quickly than he could have managed if he had not blown up. I went off on my own and climbed another hill later, slower on purpose, giving them a chance to catch up a little. But they couldn't catch me before I got to the top and then I was gone. I did slow down later and let one guy catch me. Then I pulled most of the rest of the ride until we got back. We never saw them again because they TOOK A SHORTCUT and beat us back. Cheese eating rat bastards! Oh well. The quads felt fantastic. Just like robot legs are supposed to feel. So my winter suffer fest - I mean training program - was a complete success. Watching all those movies and every episode of Breaking Bad did the trick. Now it's finally time to get into the meth business! No wait! It's finally time for the Fantastic Four to lay down the bike law at Calvin's. The Wizard of Oslund, the Gambler, Ben "The Thing" Grimm (a.k.a. Ben "The Tommy Gun" Tomblin), and Guy Who Rides The Bat Bike (need to come up with a better name for that guy) are coming for you! Ya better put on some Spandex (like normal superheroes do) 'cause it's gonna get weird up in here.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
How about WeissGuy, as you ARE a member of the CruzMafia, on an all black bike...
That's much better than anything I could think of, such as Batguy, Batmaniac, Batdude, Batmale, Bat-human, Batgentleman, Batfellow, Batperson, or Mr. Bat. Stan Lee must really work hard to come up with such creative names.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
JoeBat for the win....

Order your Velominati decal now; after all all that matters is rule #5

Or since it's Giro season you could go with Joe Pipistrello

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
JoeBat for the win....

Order your Velominati decal now; after all all that matters is rule #5

Or since it's Giro season you could go with Joe Pipistrello
It's all those DF riders who are going to need rule 5 at Calvin's. :confused:

Last edited:

McWheels

Off the long run
Vespertilio hominis in Latin, and it doesn't easily homologate well, so I'd go with the raw Spanish, El Murcielago.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
El Murciélago! I like it

Or just use Bruce Wayne as an alias. They'll have plenty of time to put 2+2 together later....