2016 Calvin's Challenge - who's going??

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
That why when people tell me I'm not allowed in the Velominati with a recumbent. I just smile and say "The only rule for a purest is #5, so apply it and shut me up if you think I'm wrong." About 15 seconds pause and I get a big smile on and a pat on the back "oh you are rule by 5 guy" and I'm in. Great ice breaker with the roads that recognize the decal, and besides I find the rules absolutely hilarious and entertaining.

ratz

Interesting, and there are 95 of them. That's a lot of memorizing.

I don't think that Larry and Lief have read rule 95. :D:rolleyes:

The audio book is great free laughter. The more roadies you know the more you'll be entertained.
You win like larry or cross a state like Lief we give you a pass on 95.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
So I was out riding 101 miles today, training for Calvin's, and some jackhole in a pickup truck drove past and tried to roll coal on me. But the wind blew the whole cloud of deisel smoke away from me so I wasn't even touched by it. Incompetent dipshit couldn't even roll coal effectively. What a douche.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
So I was out riding 101 miles today, training for Calvin's, and some jackhole in a pickup truck drove past and tried to roll coal on me. But the wind blew the whole cloud of deisel smoke away from me so I wasn't even touched by it. Incompetent dipshit couldn't even roll coal effectively. What a douche.
It part of your aerobic training! How long can you hold your breathe whist putting forth maximum effort.
Be careful out there man! You need to be alive for Calvin's in 2 weeks.
A 72 year well know cyclist just died this past Friday here on a busy road. It was just a jeep - but it was bigger than him!
It may be boring, but I rarely ride on the roads around here any more. Just too dangerous. I feel I get a much better workout on my trainer due to consistency - then I take it to the track. where all I have to worry about is someone walking there dogs. Believe me - when I'm flying around the track at 27+, they decide to go to t different "doggie" park! :eek::rolleyes:

The audio book is great free laughter. The more roadies you know the more you'll be entertained.
You win like larry or cross a state like Lief we give you a pass on 95.
I must be out of the loop here - did I miss a thread somewhere. What audio book - what is rule #95?

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
After doing 101 miles yesterday, while still tired from my Thursday and Friday rides, I went out today and did 97 more miles. The weather was perfect and every kid on the way liked the bike. I even got many thumbs ups from motorists. Everyone was having a great day. After about 60 miles, I felt like my batteries lost their charge. So I stopped at a gas station and bought a large Starbucks frappacino. Then I was flying down the road as high as a kite for an hour on caffeine.
Calvin's: T minus 13 days.

LarryOz

After doing 101 miles yesterday, while still tired from my Thursday and Friday rides, I went out today and did 97 more miles. The weather was perfect and every kid on the way liked the bike. I even got many thumbs ups from motorists. Everyone was having a great day. After about 60 miles, I felt like my batteries lost their charge. So I stopped at a gas station and bought a large Starbucks frappacino. Then I was flying down the road as high as a kite for an hour on caffeine.
Calvin's: T minus 13 days.
Way to go Joe - another week of hard riding, then start taping back so you are well rested.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Way to go Joe - another week of hard riding, then start taping back so you are well rested.
That's the plan man. A nice taper before the race. The weather is looking kind of iffy for next week, so I might finish off the training in the basement. That will suck after getting out so much in the last four days.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
So, I went out for a recovery ride tonight. The legs are not fully recovered, but they are feeling pretty good otherwise. Before I was too far from home, I was doing the speed limit (25 mph) at a 113 BPM HR. It was still ok, because my recovery goal is to stay under 120 BPM. But, dang it, this bike is just not a good bike for recovery rides. It simply will not take "slow" for an answer. I need to get out on my 50-pound single speed Electra Cruiser instead. There can be no wabbit chasing on that bike.
Calvin's: T minus 10 days.

ratz

So, I went out for a recovery ride tonight. The legs are not fully recovered, but they are feeling pretty good otherwise. Before I was too far from home, I was doing the speed limit (25 mph) at a 113 BPM HR. It was still ok, because my recovery goal is to stay under 120 BPM. But, dang it, this bike is just not a good bike for recovery rides. It simply will not take "slow" for an answer. I need to get out on my 50-pound single speed Electra Cruiser instead. There can be no wabbit chasing on that bike.
Calvin's: T minus 10 days.

You clearly need a bob trailer with weight for training.

But speaking of that; anyone else find that the bike also drives you into a low cadence; I have to be really conscious to not grab a huge gear and self select a 75 rpm pace; it's just too easy to barrel down the road like that in HR zone 1.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
anyone else find that the bike also drives you into a low cadence; I have to be really conscious to not grab a huge gear and self select a 75 rpm pace; it's just too easy to barrel down the road like that in HR zone 1.
I started using a Garmin 520 this season so I could watch my cadence and try to keep it closer to 90 RPM. I found that my cadence tends to be too low if I don't pay attention to it. On the trainer bike, I use the beeping sound of a metronome, which makes it easy, so I'm always at 90 RPM in the basement. But a metronome isn't realistic when riding outdoors. So I need to monitor my cadence constantly on the road. I like the Garmin 520 because I can configure the screens exactly as I want them - no more and no less, in the order I want. I've never been able to do that before with any other cycling computer and it is really nice. But the point is: cadence tends to gravitate towards the very low end if I let it.

hoyden

Can someone point me to an explanation why higher cadence is more desirable than low? My physics understanding says the energy is the same. I have observed that I can get a higher HR at either range. Sometimes my leg muscles feel depleted and spinning is easier than mashing. Other times it otherwise. Apart from serious up/downhill or wind I bounce my cadence back and forth in real time depending on how I feel in the moment.

LMT

Can someone point me to an explanation why higher cadence is more desirable than low? My physics understanding says the energy is the same. I have observed that I can get a higher HR at either range. Sometimes my leg muscles feel depleted and spinning is easier than mashing. Other times it otherwise. Apart from serious up/downhill or wind I bounce my cadence back and forth in real time depending on how I feel in the moment.
http://www.53x12.com/#!high-pedaling-cadence/gt682

LarryOz

I started using a Garmin 520 this season so I could watch my cadence and try to keep it closer to 90 RPM. I found that my cadence tends to be too low if I don't pay attention to it. On the trainer bike, I use the beeping sound of a metronome, which makes it easy, so I'm always at 90 RPM in the basement. But a metronome isn't realistic when riding outdoors. So I need to monitor my cadence constantly on the road. I like the Garmin 520 because I can configure the screens exactly as I want them - no more and no less, in the order I want. I've never been able to do that before with any other cycling computer and it is really nice. But the point is: cadence tends to gravitate towards the very low end if I let it.
Joe - I put a metronome app on my smart phone. Then just play it while I am riding outdoors or indoors.
I play music too with the metronome in the background. It is a little weird sometimes when they don't match up, but you get used to it.
I used my metronome app at Calvin's last year and just let it play out the speaker on my phone. You can hear it on my video, which I'll send you soon so you can "ride" the route at home before you go.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Last night was the weekly LBS ride. My legs were still feeling tired from all of the recent mileage due to training for Calvin’s. That was about 273 hard miles in four days (45, 30, 101, 97). This night, the fast guy showed up. Yes, he is the guy who can easily put the hurt on an entire A-rider group and drop it like a hot potato, leaving behind him a group of french fries. So last night, I’m just following along, moving out into the wind to get some resistance as needed, climbing the hills with the group, and feeling my tired legs. Then we arrived at the beginning of the big sprint that is in the middle of the ride. I say “ride”, but you know it is just the modern version of an illegal street race with hot rods from the fifties and sixties. It’s a long way to the stop ahead sign, so going out early is not recommended for sprinting. But fooey to that nonsense! As soon as we crossed the last intersection, things started to heat up. The fast guy, a previous professional athlete and Olympian, made his move. He has no fear because he can drop anyone in the area. Really, his uniform should be blue and red with a big S on his chest. He’s that fast. Hence, I dub thee Superman! He not only has super cycling powers, but he actually looks like Superman. He’s above the level of mere mortal cyclists like ourselves. So he made his move, and another guy followed him. I moved left and went around both guys. I pulled a gap and was out front for a little bit. But Superman pulled up behind me and started drafting. Then he pulled around and went out front with a guy in tow. I pulled into third position behind the second guy and drafted him. All the while, everyone else was in the dust. Then the second guy blew up trying to draft off of Superman going somewhere around 35 mph. So that screwed me up and I had to go around the second guy. He faded in the mirrors. I started gaining on Superman, but then it came down to just maintaining his speed because I couldn’t sustain a speed faster than his. I was a few bike lengths behind him and couldn’t get a draft, but I kept his pace. So we went on like that for a while and finally Superman got the sign. And I got my heart rate up to the highest this season so far. And I also got second place (which is first loser!). Then after a few more miles, we dropped out onto the final six miles to the last sign. He took off like, I don’t know, like a Superman out of hell I guess. I was a ways behind him and was going at the same maxed out speed, so I couldn’t catch him (again!). I dropped all the other A riders, but I was keeping an eye on them, way back, in my mirrors. But they weren’t gaining on me. I chased Superman for a few miles as fast as my tired legs would go, and then I spotted a group up ahead. This was the B group and all the A riders who had dropped early from the A group. As I approached from behind, I noticed Superman at the front of the group, just recovering and dragging everyone along. So I caught up to the group and passed it on the left at a speed higher than the group could manage. And I also passed Superman, who was on the front. We had a couple of hills coming up. It got sketchy before a big downhill. Then I started dropping and pulled around one guy who was in front of me so that I was in the lead, dropping like a rock downhill. Everyone was fading into the background - except for Superman, who was chasing me downhill! I stayed away but he passed me after the bottom of the hill and went out ahead. I dropped all the riders in the group and began chasing Superman yet again. Another mile or so and he got the sign. And I was following a ways behind and got first loser, again (sigh). The other guys were nowhere to be seen being so far behind. They were all history. So that’s the epic battle of Superman versus some normal guy riding a souped up, high-tech Batbike. (Gee, this kind of sounds like the makings of a movie - but the title should be shorter.) Until we meet again Man of Steel...until we meet again.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Superman vs Batman - Great read BTW Joe. Can't help but think - What would happen if Superman had a fast bike too? What would he be called then?

batmanvsuperman-xlarge.jpg

Last edited: