2016 Calvin's Challenge - who's going??

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Thanks everyone!
Riding home now, Gary driving.
A quick replay before I write my full ride report. It was so rainy and windy that visibility was horrible with slightly foggy and rain smeared visor. Worst sustained conditions I have ever ridden in! I literally prayed my way through the last 15 miles of the 3rd 50 mile loop and the entire 4th 50 mile loop after i was all alone. So, so, so many pot holes. Some you could see, some just looked like puddles. It was slow going and really slow through the 50+ turns on each 50 mile loop. Total consentrain required "every second" to avoid a miss-hap and no going all out, just too dangerous.
After I transitioned to the 7 mile loop, my crew said I was so far ahead (15-20 mins) of my nearest competition that I dialed it back a notch to just under 20mph. I caught and rode with Ben and Joe a lap, but the kept my pace and kept going.
Much to my surprise and young whipper snapper passed me on an upright TT with 9 mile left to go. I didn't know if he was on my lap, but I couldn't take any chances, so I stayed with him. I calculated that they would only let us ride to the 5th mile before the 12 hours was up, so I shifted up and laid into the pedals with 1/4 mile left to go. (We were doing about 25 at the time). I flew by him: and he said "you got me!", and I passed the 5 mile marker ahead of him. But.. the Marshall said you have time to go to mile post 6!
Man, my 1/4 sprint just turned in a 1 & 1/4 mile sprint, so I just kept the power on, not even knowing if he was right on my tail or nother (glad I did those sprint interval last winter now).
We both ended up with the same mileage, but I won since I was ahead.
I asked him after the race if was he behind me after I passed him. He said no. He said he could not go any faster and dropped back to about 20mph since he had 3 minutes to get to the next mile post.

Nutrition summary:
I rode the entire 12 hours on 4 scoops of Infinite, 2 scoops of perpetuam, and one swig of warm chocolate milk. Last year I used 2 1/2 scoops of Infinite each hour (=30 scoops). 5 times more fueling last year! No cramping, did not run out of energy, and could hammer at the end.

Thanks again everyone for the support.
Special Thanks to Gary and Andrew who made the trip to crew. Great to ride with you again: Kevin (bummed you flatted and got skinned up, but glad you are ok - you're sooooo strong!); and you Ben (good luck at RAW), and to great meet you Joe. You are all first class and it was an honor to ride with you. Tons of memories, mostly wet, all good!

I'll post my ride report as soon as I can.
P.s. I also rigged up double battery packs on my VIRB camera and got the entire race recorded.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Thanks for the news brief Larry. With the bad weather, it sounds like the race was pain on pain. It takes unbelievable focus and determination to ride 12 hours in those kind of conditions. My hats off and I salute everyone that raced and their support teams for making it possible to endure a memorable race :D:D:D:D:D five happy faces to all!

skipB

What a ride . Training, skill, and determination is where you start . Pure guts is what you finish on . Congratulations Larry and to all that rode , and to the team that supported them all . Very impressive

Maria Parker

Administrator
Larry, Ben, Joe and Kevin - So proud of you all. Larry welcome to the keto-strong!!! Congratulations on your wonderful performance. Ben, good strong steady performance as usual. Joe - great great job, so glad to have another racer out their representing! Kevin, I'm so sorry to hear about your flat and wreck - I hope you saved enough to blow away another race. Thank you gentleman! You all did us proud.

Bill K

Guru
1st overall; Larry 250
4th overall; Ben 237
Tied for 5th overall; Joe 223

Totally Awesome!

To put this in perspective, I'm just a mere mortal, from Earth.
The last time I rode 250 miles it took me over 27 hours, and I could not have done it without sleep.

You guys are definitely not mere mortals.

Bill

LarryOz

Any more incidents of your heart racing under this new fueling strategy?
No not this year and not at Calvins. Average HR for the 12 hours was 138 (Last year it was 145 - hmm?)
But truthfully I have not been pushing the upper HR limits like I was last year when it was happening.
I only hit 167 for 1 second riding in this year's Calvin's event, and that was going after the biggest hill on the course, and it was quickly back down to 130's
I usually experienced the "heart racing" stuff when I was riding at sustained 165bpm for 3-4 hours.
I will get into some of that riding as I prepare for my century record attempt again this summer, and then we will see. :)

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Kevin, Really sorry about your misfortune. Good Job you are really healthy as you will recover quickly.

The sprint in the end of the race with the young whippersnapper on an upright TT was impressive.

Riding in the rain for such a long time is not easy.
I have done some races in the rain but they were not long races like this one.

Some years ago, before I got a Vendetta I raced on a Phantom.
One race it rained the entire race.
I used a homemade enclosed setup. I was the only dry racer.
There was some wind and it was very helpful on the first part of the race.
I think I was the first in the group that I started with to the turnaround point.
It was sailing and pedaling at the same time so the speed was fast on some of the sections.
After turning back, the wind was not so good since it came from a different direction.
I was the passed by many but I was the only dry racer!

LarryOz

The sprint in the end of the race with the young whippersnapper on an upright TT was impressive.
Thanks Peder.
I video'd the entire race this year. I'll try and post the last few minutes where I passed the young "whippersnapper" in a few days!
Putting the finishing touches on my ride report at well - hopefully will post it tomorrow.

LarryOz

Here is a link to my ride report for 2016 Calvin's Challenge.
Thanks again for the awesome support of the Tribe before, during, and after the race.

And a special thanks again to the amzing on-site support of Andrew, Gary, Leslie, and Gretchen. We could not have done it without you guys!

"It take a tribe" ..... to finish a race!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/19i4pj76xntbnqp/2016 Calvins Challenge-Larry Oslund-final.pdf?dl=0

Some cool video's to follow .... from support and from the bike!

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Here is a link to my ride report for 2016 Calvin's Challenge.
Thanks again for the awesome support of the Tribe before, during, and after the race.

And a special thanks again to the amzing on-site support of Andrew, Gary, Leslie, and Gretchen. We could not have done it without you guys!

"It take a tribe" ..... to finish a race!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/19i4pj76xntbnqp/2016 Calvins Challenge-Larry Oslund-final.pdf?dl=0

Some cool video's to follow .... from support and from the bike!
Epic read... It felt as though I was there.

I am oddly enough following the same diet low carb plan. After getting past week 2 , the recovery time after an intense ride seems a lot less. It's weird for sure... I call it miraculous. I like eating fruit but limiting to half half an apple a day to keep the carbs low.

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
great read Larry. such a story of giving.remarkable. so very happy for everyone involved. shame about the one flat and crash. would have been good to push each other to the finish line. superb.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
No not this year and not at Calvins. Average HR for the 12 hours was 138 (Last year it was 145 - hmm?)
But truthfully I have not been pushing the upper HR limits like I was last year when it was happening.
I only hit 167 for 1 second riding in this year's Calvin's event, and that was going after the biggest hill on the course, and it was quickly back down to 130's
I usually experienced the "heart racing" stuff when I was riding at sustained 165bpm for 3-4 hours.
I will get into some of that riding as I prepare for my century record attempt again this summer, and then we will see. :)

Do you think its your new diet, OR ALL the varied intensity training you have done, that has lowered your heart rate (20%) so much for the same race speeds!
That is an impressive fitness improvement!
Have you been doing more training at a sustained lower heart rate, compared to your previous very high heartrate for a LONG time?

LarryOz

Do you think its your new diet, OR ALL the varied intensity training you have done, that has lowered your heart rate (20%) so much for the same race speeds!
That is an impressive fitness improvement!
Have you been doing more training at a sustained lower heart rate, compared to your previous very high heartrate for a LONG time?
SuperSlim - It is true my pulse average was 7bpm lower this year from last year, but my power output was also about 5-6watts higher on average, plus my weighted power average was more than "twice" above the average wattage. That was probably due to more time spent above the 300 watts range when dealing with the according affect of the large group riding. I was much more "level" this year since it was either just me or me and Kevin for 99% of the time. In my opinion that is probably why my heart rate had a lower average. It is also my opinion that I probably had a 10% higher fitness level last year than this year. Just too much other stuff going on in life this year.
Having said all that - yes I have been doing more training at a lower sustained heart rate - lots of time in the 130 range. That was part of the new diet and training plan. Last year I was doing weekend rides 3 and 4 hours in the 160 range, this year nothing like that "yet'. That is helpful for those "power" Centuries, but maybe not for the 12-hour steady state riding required for Calvins. In the end - it is hard to tell. Wish I had unlimited time to try lots of different variations.