2016 Devil Mountain Double (206 miles 20,000 feet of accent) 4-30-16

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I'm going to just leave this here and update later with a ride/race report a pictures if anyone takes any because I'll be hanging on for dear life in the windiest day of 2016 by far ahead of us. I haven't done something like this with such a extremely high change of total bonking involved so yeah even with a shot of NyQuil last night as my last dose against my diminishing head cold I still slept restlessly.

link to the event
http://www.quackcyclists.com/dmd.htm

Weather calling for 40mph gusts throughout the day and it's already howling outside my house at 3:30am
https://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:94550.1.99999

Strava example of the course record
https://www.strava.com/activities/7536626#921500624

devil-mountain-double-century-profile.png

VenRiderGuy

:eek: Wow.....go Super Rojo.....for this sort of ride/race, I'm just wanting to be a spectator, never a participant. May the winds always be at your back. :cool:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Absolutely killed it today but even still that's only going to be good for like a top 5 or top 10, I'll have to wait for the results. With that said I'm beyond pleased about how well I did in the second half just soaking up rider after rider after everyone started reaching their limits. Don't send a bunch of roadie to put the hurt on a 24hr Mtb PRO, you may not like the results :p

Oh and the wind was making parts of the race so sketchy at times.

https://www.strava.com/activities/561526321

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Jason, that's an incredible result, with LOTS of climbing, and descending, 330 km 5980 m climbing!!!!.
Were you faster on both climbing and descending?

Did many DF riders ask questions about the Vendetta after the race?

AND it was a SUNNY 18C (65F) day with NO rain!!!
It must be good living in CA!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
We've been speculating for a couple years what might happen we you put a superior athlete on a superior bike.

I think we can stop speculating now.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
@Jim Parker I may not have won but it was absolutely clear after getting totally dropped in the first big climb every rider I soaked up was in complete awe of the Vendetta. For the few riders who were able to stick with me for more then a moment or those caught back up at an aid station, they always commented on it's absolute dominance on the DHs and flats. There was one sag vehicle driver who was there for the start and immediately recognized the bike as FWD Cruzbike and even though he knew what it was you could tell it was his first time seeing one in person like he had just spotted a unicorn in a herd of horses , he always gave me a big thumbs up every time he passed me. Speaking of SAG vehicles, I had the honor of getting pushed off the road into the gutter on the second big climb by a the main SAG van with the big RAMM stickers all over it:rolleyes:

Everyone expects a recumbent to be fast at the flat races but I think yesterdays event went a long way toward spreading the Cruzbike word and that's the least I could out here on the west coast.

Last edited:

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Haaaa I can see why you were so urgent with the disc brakes. I bet there were some surprised riders out there with you. Well done. I bet the head cold went very quickly.
:D:D:D

I wonder if you filmed that achievement? You might be up for the Hoodoo 500 with a result like that. :rolleyes:

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Exceptional achievement Jason and to do that in one single ride. Totally amazing. Looking forward to the detailed race report.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Congratulations!

There was one sag vehicle driver who was there for the start and immediately recognized the bike as FWD Cruzbike and even though he knew what it was you could tell it was his first time seeing one in person like he had just spotted a unicorn in a herd of horses
"A unicorn in a herd of horses." That would be a fun (unofficial) Cruzbike slogan! :cool: