2016 HPRA FLORIDA CHALLENGE

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/calendar.asp

Well, I'm here now (with my bride - Gayle) - bum shoulder and all.
As you can see - we are in a really tennie wennie place - Of course the bikes get the bed.
crowded room-s.jpg
- we'll not really since Gayle is with me! haha But they do have to live on the bed during the day so we can move around the rest of our 12'x15' deluxe accommodations! I swear it looked bigger in the picture, but in all honesty I really forgot to account for where to put the bikes! :0

We left them alone all afternoon, so I'm hoping they mated - and I'll end up with the best of both worlds! :eek::rolleyes:o_O

I rode about an hour today on the Arrowhead, but it was quiet hard, mostly because of my shoulder. But it was doable. I did manage to get about 10 "illegal" laps in on the veleodrome too and did manage a 29.4mph lap with a max speed of 35.4. This race is a 50 lap race on Sunday. Velodrome record is 27.21 by Mike Mowett on his M1 - 3 years ago. Not sure I can manage that with my bum shoulder, but we''ll see.

The road course is a really tiny 1/2 mile course with verytight corners. It was hard to do on the Arrowhead. I will gladly ride the Vendetta on it. I think this race is 25 laps on Saturday. Course record for it is 26.11 mph for a 20 minute race, so drafting allowed, but man that is screaming for an average on those tight corners. I did manage a 26mph lap today on the Arrowhead (and that was almost coasting through the tight right corner) so I guess it is possible, but it took accelerating up past 30 on the short straightaway to do it.

I'm gonna take the Vendetta there tomorrow and see what I can do for about 30 minutes or so.
More later.

Last edited:

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
LarryOz said:
We left them alone all afternoon, so I'm hoping they mated

You have all those bikes, and you are starting a farm? You will need to attach a trailer to your pick-up, with another wooden rack.

What does a pregnant bike look like? Are they less aero?

Actually, I have just looked at the picture. This is a union between a MBB and a FBB. I am pretty open-minded, but that is disgusting. The MBB should not lie together with the FBB.

jond

Zen MBB Master
larry larry larry. i believe the accommodation owner is trying to reach you to have you pay for the ruined bedding.

something about a loud proud vendetta up against a minority arrowhead and chain grease on the bedspread whilst leaving the air conditioner running. :) sheesh some folk..............

mzweili

Guru
Larry said:
Not sure I can manage that with my bum shoulder, but we'll see.
Unbelievable performance, imagine when Larry goes at 100%

LarryOz

Am I reading that correctly? Did Larry just stomp on everyone?
Thanks everyone.
I was definitely lucky to win all 7 events, especially partially incapacitated due to my left shoulder.
If Mike Mowett had been there, he would have probably killed me in the short spirits.
All in all it was a great time and John and Jacquie Schlitter did a great job in hosting the event.
It is a beautiful venue with the road course in one area and of course the velodrome in the other. (Of course this is the one time per year that they allow "non-fixed gear" bikes of any kind on the veledrome.)
I have on board videos of all 7 events I am processing now.
I will post them all with a little commentary as soon as I can (The Veledrome ones are particularly cool - and even a little scary to watch - so says my wife!)

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
I watch all of your videos, Larry. What other events do you have up your sleeve for this year?

jond

Zen MBB Master
If Mike Mowett had been there,

larry your modesty is charming and welcome . you smacked the 50 lap record held by mike. and mike was not there.

well done on being a champion in all ways.

did the motel catch up with you :)

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Larry, another GREAT Racing effort!!!

Were you riding the Vendetta OR the funny looking low handle bar, "Mister Carbon"??

LarryOz

I watch all of your videos, Larry. What other events do you have up your sleeve for this year?
Thanks - hope to have videos up today or tomorrow.

Events this year: I am thinking of:
Calvin's Challenge 12-hour - April 30
Other HPRA events (like Piccolo Park):
  • Somewhere in Ohio - May ??,
  • Waterford Michigan June 18
  • Northbrook, Ill - July 23
  • Manchester, In Aug 13
  • Cedar Rapids, Iowa - Sept 13
Also:
Big Jay Fat Ass 12-hour - July 15 (maybe ride with Kevin again and not crash!)
Am also thing of another Century record attempt sometime in July - Maybe on a Track this year??
Mid-Atlantic Century - August 20 -
HooDoo 500 Stage - August 26 ?? (Would love to do this, but we'll see. It is a long way to travel and may not have the time or money)

did the motel catch up with you :)
Nope Jon - My bikes got away free and clear!

Larry, another GREAT Racing effort!!!
Were you riding the Vendetta OR the funny looking low handle bar, "Mister Carbon"??
Thanks Slim, a little redemption from Sebring I suppose. :)
I rode the Vendetta the whole time. I did take the Arrowhead with me, and did do a few practice runs on it, but it was quite a bit harder to start and control with its "gunner" style handlebar and I did not really feel confident on it at 30+ mph - Especially knowing I was going to be in heavy traffic. My shoulder was barely able to control the Vendetta without too much pain.
Looking forward to healing up. :)

LarryOz

Here are also the links to all the videos I shot from the front of my bike while racing. Enjoy
2016 FL Challenge 1 Mile Sprint

2016 FL Challenge 20 minute stock race

2016 FL Challenge 200 foot flying Sprint

2016 FL Challenge Last Man out stock race

2016 FL Challenge 200 Meter Sprint on Velodrome

2016 FL Challenge 1 KM Sprint on Velodrome
https://youtu.be/cvsl64Ps8YE

2016 FL Challenge 50 lap stock race on Velodrome
https://youtu.be/y-eVmC5fcTo

Last edited:

LarryOz

Too bad he's not experimenting with 650b wheels.
Who says I'm not?;) I have a nice set of zipp 404 650's. But I guess I need to get tubeless versions, right?
Several of my bikes have at least one 650. What is "650b"? Does the "b" stand for better? or tubeless version? If so, I'm in!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Who says I'm not?;) I have a nice set of zipp 404 650's. But I guess I need to get tubeless versions, right?
Several of my bikes have at least one 650. What is "650b"? Does the "b" stand for better? or tubeless version? If so, I'm in!

B is the width.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/650b.html

If that tire is what it claims and tested at. It has some interesting implications for rando bikes built with 650 rims. The idea of running at 30psi with the same CDr as a race wheel is interesting. CDa should be nominal but weight is likely an issue. But still good to see the innovation. I would rate this more interesting than solid Tanis tires