2017 Race and Event Season

Rich

I am planning on riding in the WNC Flyer (formally the Fletcher Flyer) on June 4 in Brevard NC.
Start and finish at Oscar Blues Brewery so it has that going for it. I have not participated in this ride before, but hear that it is a good one.
I will also be in our local Cap-2-Cap ride on the Virginia Capital Trail on May 13.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
6hr drive to the Bleckley for me. Even if I had known about it, I probably couldn't have gone anyway. I haven't ridden anything since November...just put 10mi on the V20 last night, first time this year. I'm a victim of soicumstances, I tell ya! :rolleyes:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I am planning on riding in the WNC Flyer (formally the Fletcher Flyer) on June 4 in Brevard NC.
It is a pretty fun ride. I may be riding in it, but it depends when I have to leave for RAAM.

Jeffrey Ritter

Start and finish at Oscar Blues Brewery so it has that going for it. I have not participated in this ride before, but hear that it is a good one.
I will also be in our local Cap-2-Cap ride on the Virginia Capital Trail on May 13.
Hi Rich, any sense of the amount of climbing on WNC Flyer? Looks pretty well managed and worth the reputation.

Rich

Jeffery,
the climbs are indicated on the website for the Flyer. Look under the ride routes and the elevations are listed for the different distances.
I am not up for the century (just a slow old man), but plan to do one of the shorter routes.
Should be a good time.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Bikes, Blues and Bayous August 5, 2017
Very flat, definitely recumbent-friendly.
I realized today that we probably have enough Cruzbikers within driving distance for a meet-up that Friday night or Saturday afternoon, if y'all are interested. Besides @ReklinedRider and me, my son will be there riding my Q, unless his senior retreat is scheduled for that weekend. @trapdoor2 expressed interest in coming this year, after reading my write-up of the 2016 ride. @Kerry Kerr rode BBB last year, though not on a Cruzbike. @Layne lives about as far away from Greenwood as I do, albeit in a different direction. Maybe @RideOn and his Mrs. could pencil it into their travel schedule. And I spoke with a new Cruzbiker from my old hometown this afternoon, who has just today bought a Silvio 2.0 and started his parking-lot drills.

Who else is out there? Ride registration opens April 15.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
http://www.clarksvillecentury.com recumbent friendly, pretty much flat (66ft max rise) and there's an "elite peloton" that tries to break the record every year. 2014 they did the century in 3:43. They say "no tandems" in the peloton but nothing about recumbents. I suspect if a Cruzbike peloton showed up, they'd ask you not to mix with the DF peloton. Would be fun to see what a well-trained Vendetta peloton could do there.
That's 46.671 kph average! Are you sure about that? Did they have to be carried away on a stretcher?

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
That's 46.671 kph average! Are you sure about that? Did they have to be carried away on a stretcher?
I would have trouble beating that time in a car, I think. The record is posted on their website...so it has to be true, right? :)

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy

Actually it's 43.1kpm or 26.8mph. That's very possible with a group of elite riders sharing the load in a pack on a flat course. We don't have any lap loop race courses in my area but the flatter rolling hill courses have KOM times from road races that I can't match.

I could probably go sub 4hours on my own but 3:43 on my own would super hard on my own. DF packs holds more power than most here realize. Sure they aren't as aero as we are but they can draft each other 3-4 riders wide in a pack and the best we can typically manage is a single line.

Jim, Larry and I have been discussing the possible race dynamics of the Assult on Mt. Mitchell century/hill climb. Flattish rolling for the first 80 miles then a massive 10,000' accent in the last 20 miles. The race between a recumbent rider and DF rider is very dependent on the course profile. I know you guys in the flat lands don't have to deal with this much but it's a huge part of my race prep. Only way to win on a recumbent at mt Mitchell would be to open up at least a 10 min gap over the peloton and then hope it's enough for them not to catch you. Even I couldn't get out of sight of elite peloton if they didn't want me to. The success of opening that gap is totally dependent on wether or not the peloton perceives the recumbent or recumbents out front as a threat or not. Sadly our success in the races with more climbing is a double edge sword. On one hand it's great to show what we can do on our outcast machines but it makes everyone more aware of what we can do making them more aware about how to shut us down with tactics.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I realized today that we probably have enough Cruzbikers within driving distance for a meet-up that Friday night or Saturday afternoon, if y'all are interested. Besides @ReklinedRider and me, my son will be there riding my Q, unless his senior retreat is scheduled for that weekend. @trapdoor2 expressed interest in coming this year, after reading my write-up of the 2016 ride.

I do like flat metric centuries. :) I need to add that one to my reminders...otherwise I'll forget all about it. About a 5hr drive for me (not too bad) but I can't see far enough ahead to make any long-term plans yet. As long as there is A/C in the hotel room and good food in the offing, Miz Diane might be convinced to help me drive down...maybe. :rolleyes:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
3:43 Century: This is very do-able, especially with a strong group. The 10-12 person group in last year's UMCA National Champ Century averaged around 26mph and that included a lot of resting breaks. We did not really go "all out" the whole time, exept for maybe the last 20 minutes.
On a local track, I have been able to do just under a 3:48 solo and unsupported Century (carrying all my fuel from the start)
I am shooting for breaking the overall (UMCA) indoor track record of Micharl Secrest of 3:46:16
Here is the brief story of his record: http://ultracycling.com/sections/records/reports/secrest_100mi_indoor_track_2011/
I agree with Jason - It is pretty unbelievable the power that a large DF group can have. It almost defies logic, and I suspect that it might be more than a group of equivalent bents riders because of how far we would all have to be from each other. The collective size of the group would be spread out, somewhat dissipating the energy by needing to occupy a larger space. Just a theory though. :)

Kerry Kerr

I realized today that we probably have enough Cruzbikers within driving distance for a meet-up that Friday night or Saturday afternoon, if y'all are interested. Besides @ReklinedRider and me, my son will be there riding my Q, unless his senior retreat is scheduled for that weekend. @trapdoor2 expressed interest in coming this year, after reading my write-up of the 2016 ride. @Kerry Kerr rode BBB last year, though not on a Cruzbike. @Layne lives about as far away from Greenwood as I do, albeit in a different direction. Maybe @RideOn and his Mrs. could pencil it into their travel schedule. And I spoke with a new Cruzbiker from my old hometown this afternoon, who has just today bought a Silvio 2.0 and started his parking-lot drills.

Who else is out there? Ride registration opens April 15.
I will be there!

Rods

Is anyone here doing the Midwest Recumbent Rally this year?
I am going, trying to decide which bike to bring. Just learning to ride my V, but i don't know if I would feel comfortable on it yet by then. If there were other Cruzbikers there it could be fun, though!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Is anyone here doing the Midwest Recumbent Rally this year?
I am going, trying to decide which bike to bring. Just learning to ride my V, but i don't know if I would feel comfortable on it yet by then. If there were other Cruzbikers there it could be fun, though!

Confirmed; will be there by 7am Saturday