2018 V20 Coming Down the Line

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
If it's possible... how does a cruzbike ambassador gets a set of Boyd wheels :rolleyes:
?

Showing up in Oceanside and watching our crew assemble these Vendettas was like walking into Willy Wonka's chocolate factory for the first time. Not only are they the most stunning recumbent out there but I'd say they are the best looking bicycle in existence today. For my first interaction with other Cruzbikes, it was quickly made clear how special our Cruzbike tribe really is. I can't wait to see where we're at 10 years from now! This new V20 is a milestone for Cruzbike. :)

Apollo

All I can say, is it won't take that long to see even more amazing Crubikes! - Not only cooler looking - faster too!:eek:
Faster maybe, but I think it will be very hard to beat the looks of the RAAM bikes. I think they're at the very top in aesthetics right now and that's without an exotic frame material. The choice of color and the angles of the Vendetta have collaborated to create a masterpiece in aesthetics. Looking at these bikes is pure cycling bliss.

If in the future another frame material would be used instead of the tried and true aluminum, the current aesthetics might be thrown off. For example, if carbon is used the twin rear stays would probably meld into a single unit like on the Ollinger prototype, and the double triangle frame pattern would be lost for a weight savings.

I'm all for progress though, if it yields a significant performance increase even at the cost of aesthetics - up to a point.

Maria Parker

Administrator
Thanks again for the enthusiasm and feedback. I rode my new gold V20 with Doug Kline this past Monday at an annual century ride we do near us. The ride, Tour De Moore is not competitive, but Jim likes to go, get out front and hold on as long as he can. On Monday he made it for 70 miles before the peleton of 7 or 8 strong riders caught and eventually passed him (not without a fight though). Meantime, Doug and I were cycling steady. Doug was on his new S40 with the Thor seat (which looked great) and absolutely killed it on the hills. I'd get little away on the downhills, but he easily caught me on the climbs. His riding impressed me so much! Great job Doug. Meanwhile, he politely told me that I'd confused him with the actor Kevin in the OP of this thread. Sorry Doug. It was a great day. We had a finish time of about 5 hours and 40 minutes. I loved riding with another CBer: felt safe, at home and happy.

I thoroughly enjoyed riding with Maria this weekend, and the opportunity to not ride solo. She’s a strong and consistent rider that never wastes a good downhill. Unless I was in her slipstream, she consistently pulled away from me on the downhill. That was a new experience for me, it never happens, I’m always riding my brake if I’m behind someone. Superior aerodynamics of the V20 over the S40, perhaps, but I weigh at least twice Maria, and no one pulls away from me on a downhill.

As I’m prepping my S40 today for the next ride, I see the drive wheel is not spinning free. I spin it by hand and it goes for 3 seconds. I walk over to my V20 and that wheel spins for 40 seconds. I removed the disc brake caliper, so that's not involved. After I fix this wheel, I’m going to need another crack at chasing Maria to be convinced that aero beats excessive weight on a downhill.

Oh, did Maria mention this ride had 5100 ft of climb. I took my S40 because its geared for the hills and I like it in the hills. My V20 is currently geared for the flat lands and it clearly out runs the S40 there. I did 211 miles in 12-hours on my V20 two weeks ago at the Mid-Atlantic and was completely comfortable. That was my first time on a Cruzbike at a UMCA event. All my other 200+ mile days were on a DF bike that was incredibly painful.

As it turns out my wheel spins free without the chain, so the friction was in the freehub. Which means no excess friction while I'm pedaling. Which means Maria is very fast downhill for a lightweight. The aero position on her V20 outperformed my gravity advantage on my S40 on a downhill. Which means she's a pleasure to ride with. I'll have to bring my V20 on my next chance to chase her.

Hi All, Was configuring a Vendetta today and noticed that it says the Cobalt and the Gold colors are "limited". Implies that these won't be available throughout the 2018 model year? Once they are gone, there aren't anymore frames in that color for 2018(only the gray will be offered)?

I had two other questions if its alright to post them here:
1. Will the two build kits listed on the website be offered throughout 2018 or are they limited time as well?
2. How does the carbon trunk bag open to allow access to the interior? Looks like 3 fasteners on top? Has anyone used this bag? Enough room to hold spare tubes/CO2 inflation gear/wallet/snacks/etc?

The reason for asking these questions is that I'm saving up to buy a Vendetta but prefer the gold color and am guessing that it will be a popular color that might be all snapped up before spring!

Thanks for any replies from anyone with the inside scoop!
Mark

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
1. Will the two build kits listed on the website be offered throughout 2018 or are they limited time as well?

The Blue and Yellow being limited, based on past facts, will be gone and that's it. The Charcoal seems to be the "Staying" cool; and those tend to come and go. Usually if you don't get one before March they tend to get sold out.

2. How does the carbon trunk bag open to allow access to the interior? Looks like 3 fasteners on top?

Three screws hold the cover. The water bottle version also has a removable plate on time.

Enough room to hold spare tubes/CO2 inflation gear/wallet/snacks/etc?
That list yes. I can get a 70-oz water bladder, phone, keys, snack .... but it's on the small side if you compare it to something like Brain Box.

Last edited:
Ratz, Thanks for the reply. Might be best to get it earlier to get the special color. Although all three current paint schemes are super nice!

IMG_4156.JPG IMG_4157.JPG Here are a couple photos of the limited color V20s from the Recumbent Cycle Con in Philly. In case you need that extra boost to buy your own. :cruzbike::rolleyes: