24" donor

Rose Sundet

I hope I didn't make a mistake by using me daughter's old 24" as a donor. I'm just barely 5' tall, so I tout it might be ok. Problem: cockpit is way too tight. How can I get more room? I was thinking: 1) can I bend the seat post to let the seat recline further? 2) Can I somehow angle the handlebars forward so they aren't so close to my chest and cut the ginormous metal pole that threatens to bruise my sternum if I lean forward at all?

Please don't tell me I need to find a bigger donor. (Although if that is the only solution, I'll probably do it.)
How do I attach a photograph to my posting?

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
24" donors should work fine for you

Bending the seatpost is a popular option, as is using a longer stem to get the bars further away from you.

To post a picture, click the "picture" icon just above the text box, use the second tab on the pop up to upload the picture from your computer.

I'm looking forward to see what you're building.

Cheers,

Doug

Rose Sundet

photo(2).JPG width: 267px;
Here is the work in progress. I don't know how to bend the seat post. Do you think LBS would have that equipment? Tomorrow's a holiday - guess I'll call Tuesday.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
A couple of things

First, make dure you've maximized the available recline. Do this by mounting the post clamp with the nuts behind the seat post (this bike was built from the same frame you're using):

Toms-Bike 005.jpg

Toms-Bike 002a.jpg

You can't bend an aluminum seat post; it will flatten and fracture (anyone who's succeeded please chime in). The steel posts are also rather resistant to bending; I think someone has done it in a muffler shop.

An alternative is to use 3/4" EMT (electrical metal tubing) sold in hardware stores. The outside diameter is 1.050 inches; the seat tube on the frame is 1.070 inches inner diameter. You may need to use the metal from a Coke can as a shim. EMT is much easier to bend, but sufficiently strong to support your backrest. The top clamp may need to be opened up to accomodate the larger post diameter (the clamp is designed for a 7/8 inch post top.) Or the top of the old seatpost can be sawed off, forced into the EMT and pop-riveted in for security.

Secondly, use a long enough stem to get your arms stretched out a bit. An adjustable stem works well for this. Another alternative would be to use our Freerider Handlebar kit, which includes a stem designed to attach to our lower front tube. It opens up the cockpit a great deal.

Cheers,

Doug

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
A rough method to bend a steel seat tube

A rough method to bend a seat tube is to put in in the V of a tree, or between two solid fence posts, then slide a big pipe on one end of it and heave on the end of the pipe. There is a chance this will crease the seat post where the pipe ends, so move the pipe 1/4" and give it another bend, move pipe, another bend etc.

Rose Sundet

Many thanx, Doug! We turned around the post clamp for the seat back and that made it rideable. I may want to look into the freerider handlebar kit in the future.

Once again, a big Than Q.

defjack

Zen MBB Master
  Heres how I set up a 20in

Heres how I set up a 20in Downtube. First remove seat post and loosen the seat screws so you can bend back seat easly.Then check and see how long a seat post you need to get the seat around 45 degrees. I have never needed to bend a seat post yet. Jack

Rose Sundet

changed to freerider handlebars

The difference between the conversion kit handlebars and the freerider style bars is quite significant. Opening up the cockpit has made the ride much less scary. Took it out for the longest ride yet today - probably only 3 miles, but that is significant for me. We went to trail. I don't think I'm ready for real traffic other than our quiet little neighborhood yet. I made some tighter turns and went up a couple hills. Didn't quite make a few of the turns and walked a couple of the hills - getting stronger each time I ride.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
The best handlebars are the

The best handlebars are the ones that you like the best. I could imagine you trying the others in a year or so and liking them better (although I'd bet that you're still going to prefer the ones you like now).

Keep riding on paths away from cars until you're ready; it sounds like you're making a good progress. These bikes are definitely different and do take some time to get used to, but it's worth it.

Keep riding!

Cheers,
Charles

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Very nice conversion

Charles is right here; handlebars are probably the most personal component when building a Cruzbike.

This is a well-done conversion.

I see two places where we might be able to ease the learning curve a little.

You can probably move the seat pan forward a couple of inches without interfering with the stem. This would get you a bit more seat recline.

The kit instructions suggest turning the fork around 180 degrees to move the front wheel back a bit and increase trail in the steering. This will assure any "nervousness" at higher speeds is eliminated.

I see you've found some reasonable tires; that's not always easy for 24 inch wheels.

Well done indeed.

Cheers,

Doug

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
oh, yes - flip the fork around

You have very little or zero 'trail', which is the supermarket trolley wheel thing where the wheel alway twists around to suit the direction you are travelling. Bicycles need it. You can get this effect going adequately by flipping the fork around.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
On my 24" conversion, I put

On my 24" conversion, I put 650c wheels and tires on it and run road calipers on it. Doug was kind enough to machine a block for my back break, which bolts up to the kickstand bracket, but the temporary fix I had used worked, also. My 24" frame was a Trek rigid frame and fork. My daughter, who owned the bike originally, has since kidnapped my conversion kit, since it was attached to "her" frame.

Mark

Rose Sundet

Turned the fork around

You guys are awesome! I'd never heard of "trail" and had to search the Internet to learn about it. Springfield Bike Shop did the main convervion, but DH and I have been able to do the necessary tweaking. Turned the fork as suggested and I think today's ride was fairly smooth. DH and I both took it out and agree the ride was better. (Not sure if it was the adjustment or just my technique improving.) I might try to recline the seat more as suggested. Two weeks left until the family "Sundet Summer Cycle Excursion".