31st annual Michigan HPV Rally - 6/13/2015 to 6/14/2015

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Location: Waterford Hills sports car racing track, Clarkston, Mi
Description: The 31st annual event conducted by the Michigan Human Powered Vehicle Assocation takes place on the 1.4 mile Waterford Hills track, which has nine turns and one hill. HPRA rules apply. Riders of all types of bicycles/tricycles welcome.

More info: http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/calendar.asp (first article - shows nice layout of track too)

I am going, and I see that Eric Winn is also registered. If you are close enough to come, give it a shot. I'm not even close (almost 700 miles), but though I'd pay it a visit for something different.
This will be my first visit, but it look like a lot of fun. You can still pre-register today by midnight ($40 for both days all events, but can also register the day of the event for an extra $10.) Free camping on the infield of the track. Mike Mowett says that many people do that and it is great fun and fellowship. Nothing really "ultra" distance here - 1 hour TT is the longest event. Plan to see some of interesting and different bikes.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS (subject to change):
Saturday, June 13
Registration and technical inspection starts at 8 a.m.
One-hour time trial (streamliner, streetliner classes) - 9:30-10:30 a.m
One-hour time trial (stock, junior, women, tandem) - 11 a.m.-noon
Lunch
Hill climb/coast down (all classes) - 1:30-2:30 p.m.LeMans start road races (or other event, depending on consensus of competitors) - 3 p.m.

Urban transportation contest - in afternoon.

6 p.m. (approximate) – Eat at local restaurants.
8 p.m. – Meeting to discuss future of Michigan HPV Association and Michigan HPV Rally.
Sunday
200-foot sprints, flying start (all classes) - 8:30-9:30 a.m.
Tricycle race - 10 a.m.
Road race 1 (faster vehicles, 20 laps, 12 miles, no hill) - 10:30 a.m.
Road race 2 (slower Vehicles, 15 laps, 9 miles, no hill) - 11 a.m.
Awards ceremony by 1 p.m. (hopefully).

LarryOz

Can't believe you are "sp" close - a little jealous I have to drive 670 miles and you only, what 27.5!
Looking forward to meeting you and riding with you Eric! It looks like it will be a lot of fun!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Or just make a streamliner by combining the t-trike and a two piece velo body with a hinge in the middle to let the front end tilt and turn.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Or just make a streamliner by combining the t-trike and a two piece velo body with a hinge in the middle to let the front end tilt and turn.

Or....

A socked TTrike!!!!!

That would kick so much @$$!!!!!

(I just drooled on my keyboard thinking about it...)

LarryOz

OK, I am back from the 31st Michigan HPVA Rally. What a different experience when compared to a 12 or 24 hour event!
A lot more "waiting around" than riding! :)

I met fellow Cruzbikers: Eric Winn and Daryl Hanger - both riding Vendettas.
All in all, I think we placed really well as the "Cruzbike team" against lots of other bikes and styles.

In the 1 Hour TT:
We took 1st(Larry @ 25.96 mph), 6th (Daryl@21.22 mph), and 10th (Eric@ 19.09 mph) That is amazing for Eric since I think he said he has not ridden the Vendetta since last fall!! (Is that right Eric?)
(Eric also road an Hour TT that started 90 minutes before the the "stock" on above on his Velo - he gets extra points for doing 2 of them back -to - back).
Dayrl also did back-to-back- 1 Hour TT's. He rode the Vendettta first with the "streamliner" division, so he could ride his "trike" in the stock clase (when Eric and I rode the Vendettas!)
It was a little of a bummer that we did not have all 3 Vendetta's in the ! hour TT together. :(

In the Hill climb:
We took 3rd(Larry), 4th(Daryl), & 6th(Eric) I don't have any "times" for that segment.

In the coast down:
We took 5th(Larry, 6th(Eric), & 7th (Daryl) - the other bikes that beat us where all lower to the ground: M1, M5, home-built M1 type, etc)

In the flying sprint:
We took 4th(Daryl at 35.79 mph), 5th(Larry @ 35.15 mph), and 6th (Eric 32.86 mph))

I found out I have no real power for the sprinting stuff, so putting power intervals back in my program for Norhtbrook at the end of July

Here is the spreadsheet showing all the different classes, etc.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gxpBAEuWEjdYdbc1evbCRqswMzhrNYFD4NwtkRQ55Hg/pubhtml

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I found out I have no real power for the sprinting stuff, so putting power intervals back in my program for Norhtbrook at the end of July

That's funny, I would have said that clearly you are never "not" sprinting.

Nice results guys.

OK, I am back from the 31st Michigan HPVA Rally. What a different experience when compared to a 12 or 24 hour event!
A lot more "waiting around" than riding! :)

I met fellow Cruzbikers: Eric Winn and Daryl Hanger - both riding Vendettas.
All in all, I think we placed really well as the "Cruzbike team" against lots of other bikes and styles.

In the 1 Hour TT:
We took 1st(Larry @ 25.96 mph), 6th (Daryl@21.22 mph), and 10th (Eric@ 19.09 mph) That is amazing for Eric since I think he said he has not ridden the Vendetta since last fall!! (Is that right Eric?)
(Eric also road an Hour TT that started 90 minutes before the the "stock" on above on his Velo - he gets extra points for doing 2 of them back -to - back).
Dayrl also did back-to-back- 1 Hour TT's. He rode the Vendettta first with the "streamliner" division, so he could ride his "trike" in the stock clase (when Eric and I rode the Vendettas!)
It was a little of a bummer that we did not have all 3 Vendetta's in the ! hour TT together. :(

In the Hill climb:
We took 3rd(Larry), 4th(Daryl), & 6th(Eric) I don't have any "times" for that segment.

In the coast down:
We took 5th(Larry, 6th(Eric), & 7th (Daryl) - the other bikes that beat us where all lower to the ground: M1, M5, home-built M1 type, etc)

In the flying sprint:
We took 4th(Daryl at 35.79 mph), 5th(Larry @ 35.15 mph), and 6th (Eric 32.86 mph))

Here is the spreadsheet showing all the different classes, etc.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gxpBAEuWEjdYdbc1evbCRqswMzhrNYFD4NwtkRQ55Hg/pubhtml
What won the hill climb?

LarryOz

Was really curious what outclimbed the Vendettas.
Obviously it also depends on "who" was riding them!

M1 ridden by Mike Mowett
M5 ridden by Florian Kowalik
V20 ridden by yours truly. (obviously in my un-areo position!) :)
V2.2 ridden by Eric Winn
Could not find a picgture of the V1 ridden by Daryl Hanger (Daryl, if you have one - post it)

MikeM1.jpg FlorianK1.jpg Larry7.jpg EricWinn1.jpg

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
not ridden the Vendetta since last fall!! (Is that right Eric?)
Yeah, sometime in early September I think out on the road. About 10-20 minutes the day before when I took it off the KICKR so yes, Waterford was really the first time back on two wheels in almost 10 months. Winter hit early last year with snow that stayed and never really went away. Prior years we've had warm pops into the 35-45F range and sometimes higher. Most of this winter seemed to stay below freezing and the little bit warmer days there was too much snow and ice on the roads to venture out on 2 wheels.

I did spend a lot of time on it with it attached to the KICKR over the winter but that isn't really the same as riding it.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Larry, you left my other hill climb out... Me + velomobile is approx 262 pounds. Me + Vendetta is approx 215 pounds. Aero rules but I feel that extra 47 pounds, especially going up hill....

Hill Climb in the Velo.jpg

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Last edited: