A few simple thing made a difference

Kenneth

A few things I have done recently improved my riding

My old shoes were pretty worn and where not suited for clipping in well at the angle of the S40. The new pair makes it much easier to start from a stop because they slide in so well to the cleats. The other benefit that i didn't expect was that the stiffness of the upper part of the shoe made me realize that I had been riding with my legs a bit splayed open, which was easy to do in the old ones as the uppers were so soft from use and time. Pulling my knees in and keeping a straight line from hip to pedal really helped keeping balance less work and peddling better.
I bought a Ventisit seat pad which work well and are comfortable and I added a lumber support underneath it made from the stock cushion. This has helped support my lower back which has a bad disc while allowing my pelvis to be at the angle it wants to be to ride.
The last thing that has made my ride way better is mirrors. I never used or needed them on a df and had been using a hand mirror on the S40 but it didn't do much for me, but new mirrors mounted on the handle bars are like eyes in the back of my head and really have allowed me to ride stress free as most all my daily riding is very urban.