A Funny Thing Happened Today

geoffand

Hi.
I was doing my Sunday ride this morning and half way into it my route intersected with a local bike club event. I had stopped to talk with a couple of the marshals when the warning car announcing the arrival of the lead peleton came into view. I said to the guys that I'd better go as I didn't want to get in the way of the riders. They were amused and pointed out that the peleton would undoubtedly overtake me within seconds (I have ridden with one of these guys on my old DF road bike and he knows my limitations). By the time I was underway I ended up between the lead car and the peleton with a large bunch of riders right on my shoulder and clearly giving it their all but as the Vendetta built up speed they just couldn't keep up and I ended up dropping them and confusing the hell out of the guys in the lead car who didn't seem to know whether to let me overtake or to stay in front in spite of the increasing gap between them and the racers. This was in rolling country where I found I could quite easily maintain a pace to keep a distance between me and the peleton. Purely out of politeness and to avoid more confusion I turned off before hitting any decent hills - up hill has never been my thing.

I've had my Vendetta for three months now and I am still fiddling to get it set just right for me so all rides are test rides. Even so I did already know I was riding a lot faster (and having more fun) than my old bike but not until this morning did I really appreciate just how fast it is.Even up hill I don't think I'm noticably slower on the Vendetta than on the old road bike. Huge grin.

Cheers.

Congrats - thanks for sharing - have fun in your season!!

Funny that 12hrs (or so) later I also just did my Sunday ride... on a new Sofrider Mod that came to my mind this morning.
I'll post some pictures - on the ride and our landscape here in the Ride dept., and on the tech in the Sofrider Mods dept. I hope they will not be upside down for you as I am "down under" seen from your position
wink_smile.gif
Keep it going and have fun! I hope you have sweet tarmaced roads there for those high speeds, ours are ... well, different. (There must be a reason why most Euro touring recumbents feature suspension or fat tires or both...)

Cheers

Ernest

geoffand

Thanks Ernest
Most of our

Thanks Ernest
Most of our roads are pretty good and not so crowded as the UK where I started out - some are less smooth than others. Very few separate cycleways here.
All the best
Geoff