A Proposed Method to Fight Cancer: Starve it.

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
{What's this doing on the Cruzbike forum? Well, some of the smartest people I know are on this forum, so why not? - Jim Parker, MD}

The title of a 2010 documentary movie about cancer treatment, Cut Poison Burn, refers to three types of conventional treatments aimed at fighting cancer. Many cancers tend to form a mass, and surgery (cut) takes advantage of the mass-forming quality of cancers. Cancer cells also divide rapidly. Thus, chemotherapy (poison) is used to target rapidly dividing cells. Radiation (burn) also targets the mass-forming quality of cancers.

My proposal is based on targeting the unique metabolic qualities of cancer cells, thus adding “starve” to “cut, poison, and burn”. This is not a new idea, but the method we propose may be. It holds the potential to slow or cure cancer without the use of any expensive/proprietary drugs, radiation equipment, or long-term side effects. The drugs needed are inexpensive and of little or no toxicity. We present this proposal in the hope of stimulating discussion, research, and clinical trials.

-----------------------------------------------------

The Warburg effect was first described 80 years ago, when Dr. Otto H. Warburg discovered that many cancer cells get all their energy from glycolysis--the splitting of a 6-carbon glucose molecule into two 3-carbon molecules. Healthy non-cancerous cells have other pathways to extract energy from sources other than glucose, but cancer cells are less flexible. Some research suggests that they may be able to use lactate as fuel in addition to glucose, but this remains unclear (1).

The normal range of glucose in the blood is approximately 80 to 110 mg/dl. Our bodies maintain a
constant minimum level of glucose, thus cancer cells are never without an abundant supply of glucose. Contrary to popular belief, our brains do not completely depend on glucose to stay alive and active. The brain can burn ketones. Ketones are 2-carbon molecules formed when we burn fatty acids (fats) for energy. Fatty acids cannot cross the blood-brain barrier, but ketones can. Most people are not efficient at burning fat because they don’t need to be. Most people eat a steady supply of carbohydrates which are easily converted to glucose. If people drastically cut down on their carbohydrate intake, the body will ramp up enzymes and pathways to improve fat-burning capacity. This process has been termed keto-adaptation, because the body increases its capacity to produce and burn ketones.

Here is the proposal: Selected cancer patients will be put on a very low carbohydrate diet for at least two weeks to allow for keto-adaptation. Next, in a monitored health care facility, they will undergo an infusion of insulin (and other agents to be discussed later) which will drop the blood glucose to a level that, hopefully, is deadly to cancer cells but not to healthy cells.

Supplementary methods to increase the kill rate for cancers will need to be explored. But based on existing studies (3,4), the administration of 2-DOG (2-deoxyglucose) may be useful. The analogy I like to use is the Trojan War, where the Greeks used both a siege and the Trojan Horse to bring about the fall of Troy. Cancer cells treat 2-DOG like glucose and transport it into the cell, but it cannot be metabolized by cancer cells. In the Trojan War metaphor, the 2-DOG is the Trojan Horse. The siege is the ketogenic diet and the infusion of insulin or other hypoglycemic agents (e.g. metformin) in the ketone-protected patient. We do not know what period of starvation will kill cancer cells. It could be 2 hours or 24 hours, or it might not work at all. Some cancer cells may just go dormant until the glucose returns. We have reason to believe, however, that depriving cancer cells of glucose will stimulate cell death.

Oxygen plays a central role in human metabolism. Thus, the addition of either hypoxia (low oxygen levels) via use of an altitude tent, or hyperoxia (high oxygen levels) via hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) may improve the effectiveness of my proposed treatment. Indeed, the latter therapy in combination with a ketogenic diet proved significantly beneficial in a 2013 study of metastatic cancer in mice (5).

It must be emphasized that insulin infusion into “normal” (non-keto-adapted) patients results in coma and death due to severe hypoglycemia. However, research done decades ago (2) showed that insulin infused into starving keto-adapted patients--at doses that would have killed normal people--left the patients unfazed. They remained alert and functioned normally despite blood glucose levels below 30 mg/dl.

Here’s a sample of a protocol for this technique, for discussion only (do not try this at home). Patient A has metastatic carcinoma with less than 2-years average life-expectancy. A PET scan is obtained prior to the procedure. This test involves injecting patients with fluoro-deoxy-glucose (FDG). FDG is another glucose analog. The body treats it like glucose, but we can image it clearly with a PET scan, and see where and how large a cancer is inside the body. Only patients with FDG-avid cancers would be eligible for this treatment.

After informed consent, the patient is brought into ketosis at a blood ketone level of approximately 5 mmol/L. This may be done with dietary restriction of carbohydrate, or infusion of ketones, or both. The patient has a PICC or other central venous access device for simple blood sampling and infusion. Next, the patient, in a fasting state, is placed comfortably in an altitude room/tent simulating 14,000 feet elevation (or alternately, in a HBOT chamber). ACLS-trained personnel and appropriate resuscitation equipment are standing by, including IV glucose solution and an oxygen supply. EKG leads monitor cardiac activity. The heart works well running on ketones, so the hypoglycemia should not cause any cardiac events, but better safe than sorry. Baseline glucose and ketone levels are monitored and sampled every 5 minutes. Pulse oximetry is used to chart the oxygen saturation of the blood. Insulin is infused intravenously at a slow rate, monitoring the patient’s response. The goal is a maximum reduction of blood glucose concentration with few or no symptoms in the patient. The patient should be alert and oriented throughout the procedure. Ketone levels are also maintained at appropriate levels throughout the procedure.

Once maximum asymptomatic hypoglycemia is achieved, the level of hypoglycemia is maintained for X hours (X may vary widely). Finally the insulin infusion is stopped, glucose returns to normal levels, and the patient can leave the high (or low) oxygen room. The patient has a follow-up PET scan within a week to determine the response. If the response is only partial, the treatment is repeated with longer hypoglycemia, and/or with a change of other factors, such as oxygen level, 2-DOG dosing, or metformin supplementation.

The technique will need testing and refining. It’s quite feasible that the period of treatment may need to be repeated over several weeks, or cycled over 24-hours. It may also turn out that the hypoxia is less important than the hypoglycemia, or that alternating high and low blood oxygen levels may enhance cancer apoptosis (cell death). The addition of 2-DOG and/or metformin may or may not improve the effectiveness of the treatment.

This idea first occurred to me while sitting in a Panera Bread restaurant in Charlotte, NC on 12/5/15, after reading an excellent book by Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney called The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living. My passion for cycling and the need to lose weight prompted a desire for a deeper understanding of human metabolism, which led to reading this fine book. My wife, Maria Parker, and her passion for finding a cure for brain cancer, which deprived her of her sister in 2014, also motivated me to think about how cancer’s unique metabolism could be used against it. My son, William Parker, also contributed significantly to the refinement of this proposal and uncovering similar proposals including a 2009 hypothesis by MW Nijsten and GM van Dam (6) and a 2014 one by Adam Kapelner and Matthew Vorsanger (7).

Jim Parker, MD

1) Goodwin ML, Gladden LB, Nijsten MWN, Jones KB. Lactate and Cancer: Revisiting the Warburg Effect in an Era of Lactate Shuttling. Frontiers in Nutrition. 2014;1:27. doi:10.3389/fnut.2014.00027.

2) Cahill GF, Jr., Aoki TT: Alternate fuel utilization by brain. In: Cerebral Metabolism and Neural Function. Passonneau, JV et al, Eds. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, 1980. Pp 234-42.

3) Cheong JH, Park ES, Liang J, Dennison JB, Tsavachidou D, Nguyen-Charles C, Wa Cheng K, Hall H, Zhang D, Lu Y, Ravoori M, Kundra V, Ajani J, Lee JS, Ki Hong W, Mills GB: Dual inhibition of tumor energy pathway by 2-deoxyglucose and metformin is effective against a broad spectrum of preclinical cancer models. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics. 2011 Dec;10(12):2350-62. doi: 10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-11-0497. Epub 2011 Oct 12.

4) Sahra IB, Laurent K, Giuliano S, Larbret F, Ponzio G, Gounon P, Marchand-Brustel YL, Giorgetti-Peraldi S, Cormont M, Bertolotto C, Deckert M, Auberger P, Tanti JF, Bost F: Therapeutics, Targets, and Chemical Biology:Targeting Cancer Cell Metabolism: The Combination of Metformin and 2-Deoxyglucose Induces p53-Dependent Apoptosis in Prostate Cancer Cells.

Cancer Research. March 15, 2010 70:2465-2475; Published OnlineFirst March 9, 2010;doi:10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-09-2782

5) Poff AM, Ari C, Seyfried TN, D’Agostino DP: The Ketogenic Diet and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Prolong Survival in Mice with Systemic Metastatic Cancer. PLoS ONE 8(6): e65522. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0065522

6) Nijstem MW, van Dam GM: Hypothesis: using the Warburg effect against cancer by reducing glucose and providing lactate. Med Hypotheses. 2009 Jul;73(1):48-51. doi: 10.1016/j.mehy.2009.01.041. Epub 2009 Mar 4.

7) Kapelner A, Vorsanger M: Starvation of Cancer via Induced Ketogenesis and Severe Hypoglycemia. arXiv:1407.7622v2 [q-bio_OT] 8 Dec 2014.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Nice Post Jim.
I really believe that God created our bodies to overcome extraordinary things.
But all the things we (society) have done to our food supply (pesticides, hormones, genetic modifications, etc) has certainly taken it's toll on us.
It is so simple really: just eating right and getting a proper amount of exercise daily would go a long way, I think, in healing many issues we face.
Still - we all are going to die of something - and it's nice not to fear what is on the "other side"!
Keep up the great work!

telephd

Guru
Jim, I think your proposal has considerable merit. Are you planning on submitting for funding? Looking for a research manager?:cool:

One thing you might want to consider is the possible effect of severe induced hypoglycemia on erythrocyte function. Erythrocytes rely almost exclusively on glucose, and some lactate fermentation, for energy having no ability to utilize ketones or oxidize lipids or proteins (no mitochondria hence no Krebs Cycle and Electron Transport Chain). Deprived of glucose the erythrocyte can't produce ATP via glycolysis and deprived of ATP there is liability for maintaining hemoglobin iron in its divalent state (reduced) to transport oxygen, for running active transport mechanisms that maintain appropriate intracellular potassium, sodium and calcium concentrations and for maintaining a reducing intracellular environment to allow for proper enzyme and cofactor function. Im not sure what duration of severe hypoglycemia would sufficiently deprive the erythrocyte and expose these possible liabilities but Im pretty sure the literature would be pretty easy to search.

Last edited:

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
Jim, I think your proposal has considerable merit. Are you planning on submitting for funding? Looking for a research manager?:cool:

One thing you might want to consider is the possible effect of severe induced hypoglycemia on erythrocyte function. Erythrocytes rely almost exclusively on glucose, and some lactate fermentation, for energy having no ability to utilize ketones or oxidize lipids or proteins (no mitochondria hence no Krebs Cycle and Electron Transport Chain). Deprived of glucose the erythrocyte can't produce ATP via glycolysis and deprived of ATP there is liability for maintaining hemoglobin iron in its divalent state (reduced) to transport oxygen, for running active transport mechanisms that maintain appropriate intracellular potassium, sodium and calcium concentrations and for maintaining a reducing intracellular environment to allow for proper enzyme and cofactor function. Im not sure what duration of severe hypoglycemia would sufficiently deprive the erythrocyte and expose these possible liabilities but Im pretty sure the literature would be pretty easy to search.
I am not too worried about hurting RBCs with hypoglycemia. I can't find any evidence that hypoglycemia would cause significant death/lysis of RBCs. And even if it did, they don't reproduce, and they have a short lifespan anyway. Based on my experience reading PET scans, I would say RBCs take up a relatively tiny amount of glucose compared to most cancers. If they took up a lot, we would see large arteries and veins as very active, but we don't.

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
My son, Will, just found another important article to be added to the list of references. The researchers tested an ingenious protocol to induce severe hypoglycemia in 13 dogs, while preserving the function of the organs via ketones. It worked very well, and the dogs were unharmed in the process. These dogs didn't have cancer. The next step would have been to test the protocol in dogs with cancer, but it seems that never happened.
Look at the incredibly low levels of both glucose and lactate that they were able to reach in the graph below. This was published over 20 years ago, yet no one has pursued such a simple way to treat cancer.
Because the drugs used are generic and inexpensive, there would be no lucrative patents to recoup the cost of the research. One must wonder if this is the reason that there not been more research into this method.

Jim

upload_2016-6-12_6-44-3.png

Ciraolo ST, Previs SF, Fernandez CA, Agarwal KC, David F, Koshy J, Lucas D, Tammaro A, Stevens MP, Tserng KY, et al.
Model of extreme hypoglycemia in dogs made ketotic with (R,S)-1,3-butanediol acetoacetate esters.
Am J Physiol. 1995 Jul;269(1 Pt 1):E67-75.

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
I opened up my July issue of RADIOLOGY and this article caught my attention: "Radiogenomic Analysis Demonstrates Associations between 18F-Fluoro-2-Deoxyglucose PET, Prognosis, and Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition in Non–Small Cell Lung Cancer". This is an important article.
Here are the take-home points (in my opinion):
Cancers such as Non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), the most common type of lung cancer, may not start out really nasty/deadly, but at some point undergo what's called Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition (EMT). "EMT is increasingly being recognized as a critical cancer phenotype... and is associated with aggressive behavior, such as poor prognosis, chemotherapeutic resistance, and increased metastasis." Cancers that undergo EMT exhibit "enhanced mobility, invasiveness, and chemoresistance."

That's the bad news.
The good news is that a PET scan can allow us to easily see areas where EMT has occurred because post-EMT cancer cells take up glucose at 3.3X the rate of pre-EMT cancer cells, which already are very active burners of glucose.

What this may mean is that the very WORST cancers, the most aggressive cancers, will be the MOST SUSCEPTIBLE to an attack based on depriving them of glucose.

All this is to say someone needs to do some trials... in mice, dogs, or even people with cancer that modern medicine can't really offer much.
Hey - any researchers out there want to cure cancer?!

Jim
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Radiogenomic Analysis Demonstrates Associations between 18F-Fluoro-2-Deoxyglucose PET, Prognosis, and Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition in Non–Small Cell Lung Cancer
Shota Yamamoto, MD, Danshan Huang, MD, PhD, Liutao Du, MD, PhD, Ronald L. Korn, MD, PhD, Neema Jamshidi, MD, PhD, Barry L. Burnette, PhD, Michael D. Kuo, MD
From the Department of Radiology, The David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California–Los Angeles (UCLA), 10833 LeConte Ave, Box 951721, CHS 17-135, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1721 (S.Y., D.H., L.D., N.J., B.L.B., M.D.K.); Department of Bioengineering, UCLA, Los Angeles, Calif (M.D.K.); and Scottsdale Medical Imaging, Scottsdale, Ariz (R.L.K.).