A Silvio of a Different Colour

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
I planned on revealing my Silvio make-over when it is complete, but I already gave away the colour in my Rusty Bolt thread. Here are some photos of the Silvio as it sits tonight. I'm planning to have decals made in the near future and will hopefully begin sourcing components after Christmas.

The powdercoat finish is called Shocker Yellow and was done by Armor Performance Coatings in Richland, WA. The total cost was $420.00 which isn't bad when you consider that six hours labour went into stripping the frame of body filler. I did like the look of the smoothed-over welds, but the weld beads add a different kind of beauty.
alt="Silvio in Shocker Yellow - Side View"
WP_20141111_002.jpg  margin-bottom:10px; margin-top:10px;

The fork was powdercoated to match the frame; partial disassembly of the fork is required to do so. So far, the fork retains 150lbs pressure even after going through a near 400 F oven.
alt="Silvio in Shocker Yellow - Weld Detail"
WP_20141111_003.jpg  margin-bottom:10px; margin-top:10px;

alt="Silvio in Shocker Yellow - Rear View"
WP_20141111_004.jpg  margin-bottom:10px; margin-top:10px;

The color seems to go from green to gold to yellow depending upon the light.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Thanks Rick

The colour seems subdued and just like a really nice green in natural light; I like it best when it's green. And talk about impatient; I've been riding my Cannondale Quick since July. I am definitely eager to get back onto a Cruzbike. :)

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Andrew,this is a stunning

Andrew,
this is a stunning DEEP colour that changes with different lighting, that makes even a Silvio V1.0 look as good as a V2.1!!
I like the colour system with the only parts black being the inner tube of the extendable boom!

What colour wheels are you going to buy to match the paintwork?

Did the painters wrap the air shock section in asbestos type cloth to limit the temp rise?

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Really cool Andrew! I like it

Really cool Andrew! I like it a lot. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

-Eric

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
NIce work

Wish I'd seen that before I sent off the quest; I think I would have done the fork and the clamps like you did. Hopefully the black stardust will pop as nicely as what you have there. Darn shame that's not on the road yet.

Shoot me a PM I might have the donor bike you are looking for.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Superslim: I am hoping to go

Superslim: I am hoping to go with an all black and green colour scheme, so black wheels are on my wish list!
No heat protection was provided for the shock portion of the fork, but I was confident that I had disassembled it far enough that any components that would fail from the melting/curing process were removed.

Suz, Eric: Thanks for the compliments. I can't wait until it's built up and I'll post new photos as the build progresses.

Bob: Thanks for the compliment. I find myself wondering if I would have preferred to keep the front end all black. The pivot clamp is especially a huge chunk of metal and it might have been better to downplay it by keeping it black. Too late now; I'm committed to green...or yellow.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Thanks, Charles. It's going

Thanks, Charles. It's going to have no wheels for a while...Christmas is just around the corner, and the kiddos come first. Now if Santa wants to leave a set of wheels beneath the tree, that would be alright. :)

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
About the fork...

I don't recommend powdercoating the fork.

When I first got the Silvio, the shock would leak after hitting a bump and would completely flatten out. Over time, that ceased to occur and the shock held pressure.

The fork is back to leaking again. :(

No worries though, I have a plan to fit a urethane bushing which should:
  1. Restore proper ride height
  2. Offer some degree of shock absorbption
  3. Eliminate the issue of air leakage
  4. Retain the stock appearance of the bike

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
All done
The Green Silvio Rides Again
Two photos of my Silvio ready for it's first roll since July.
WP_20141127_001%5B1%5D.jpg
WP_20141127_002%5B1%5D.jpg

It's been a long time coming, but everything came together at once with the help and generosity of a couple members of the "Cruzbike Community". I am truly thankful for the help in getting my favorite bike back on the road.
c93bca347a.jpg

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Logos

Yes! I am going to order some custom decals from DoItYourselfLettering.com. Their stuff looks really good and I hear that customer service is top-notch.

I'll probably just have a "Cruzbike" decal made for each side of the main tube.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Andrew, as SS says,

Andrew, as SS says, "STUNNING" indeed! I love it, the color just pops!!

Also like the pained look of fork and boom. It's so clean looking!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The Light of day

Love it. Out in the light that Green looks awesome.
The welds do pop nicely for a very industrial look.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Thanks for the compliments.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm happy with how it turned out so far and it does give new life to a frame that was looking a bit tired. I might just be satisfied until I can get my hands of an S30. The new ones are just so much more refined.