Adding crazy tilt assembly... but to which frame?

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Everything is in this picture (but not all done yet)!

The slider plate (on which the bellcrank/cam is mounted) is made here (note that it is smaller than in the previous picture).
The second adapter plate is made.
The rail holder is made (but not bent into shape yet). This mounts to the top of the Silvio's carboyoke mount and holds the rail from the bottom.
The cam follower mount is made (note that in previous photos the cam follower was mounted directly to the rails. and now it is on top of a small block of aluminum).

9MIiYEb.jpg

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Bellcrank, rail, and rail holders all mounted.
Looks like the roller mount may need strengthening.
In a future version, the bellcrank could be lightened/shrunk a fair amount (perhaps to a 4" diameter instead of 6"). Not all of the radius would be in use and that material could be removed.
For now that isn't happening, since it isn't essential to proving that it works/prototyping.
NYKKD4l.jpg

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Your project is coming together and making sense.

This could very well be the prototype of my future, "OldManacle."
(OldManacle = tricycle.)

Two thumbs up!

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
So, more progress today.
Looks like the bottom mount there isn't strong enough to handle the weight.
.. So we'll need to build a cross-brace (it isn't called prototyping for nothing).
For now, looks like I'll have a place to mount luggage, so it isn't all bad.

X0U9yxS.jpg

q8ENQeh.jpg

Next time I'll just build the sliding mechanism onto a boom (which in this case could get mounted to the upper suspension brace or along the bottom, as in the original design drawings. Thats prototyping for ya, though...

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
So, I got to ride the prototype today (which is good, since I'll be using the bike (in non-prototype mode) on a cycling adventure).

The good:

* Ride-quality: It is both awesome and strange. At low-speed there is waaaaaaay more stability. I totally believe that climbing really steep hills (and doing hill starts on really steep hills which is royally annoying in standard mode on a 20% grade) is going to be way easier. At higher speeds, it is a bit more hesitant to tilt, which shouldn't come as a surprise. The question there is: is this something that one can learn/forget about/intuit after a while?

*Looks: It doesn't look totally dorky, and could probably be made to look cool.

The bad:
* It is a prototype, and it has fatal flaws that mean that it will be relegated to the scrap heap (though work will start on a v2).
* The original cam profile was way too curvy/steep. It worked really well. As in you couldn't ever really tilt. So, scratch that profile. Not that this was entirely unexpected as two other cam profiles were made...
* The location on the cam which interfaced the roller was crushed and distorted by the cam (did I mention that I did some "abusive" hopping on it while at a standstill to ensure it wouldn't dump me? No. Well I did.).
* After the cam was distorted, it raised a pressure ridge which destroyed the cam follower/roller.
* The way the assembly was mounted just didn't inspire confidence. You could see the carboyoke receiver flexing when I bounced (admittedly hard) on the bike. I worried about frame fatigue if it was ridden for any moderate length of time.

Next steps:
Less and Simpler!
Now that we understand how the Silvio frame acts on these kinds of loads, I'll do a redesign that actually loads it that way. The redesign will have the virtue of being more easily mountable on some other bike as well (anyone want to donate a Vendetta? No? Ok, can't blame me for trying ;) ).
Basically the redesign will look a lot like the original design: A cross-piece similar to the current prototype with a (likely square) boom is attached which (for the Silvio) will head towards the suspension mounts and attach there. I'll ditch the rails and instead probably just have it slide within a slot on the boom. This should work just fine since the total amount of travel needed here is probably < 10mm.

This should have the virtue of being simpler, easier to mount in a variety of configurations (rotate it and add a piece and one could instead stick this on the rear triangle of a Vendatta, probably), more robust, and lighter.

I'll try to remember to upload a few of the photos!

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I'll try-- they're low priority. I'm preparing to bike from Key West to Maine (using the Silvio), and am mostly worried about logistics for that.
Once I've arrived, or if I manage to deal with all of the logistics in time, I'll post the photos... they're already on the computer, just need to convert from RAW and upload and link...

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Pictures uploaded!
I am not the person appearing on the bike, however-- that is my fabricator.

mrg4wJL.jpg

zR3jJbW.jpg

eVLSlNP.jpg

Tp4y4U9.jpg

Tilting! (way more than you'd do in reality, probably)
fRNeF60.jpg

I wish I'd found the silver 20" aeroheat rims in time, but all I could get my hands on was the black. It would have been prettier with the silver rims (matching the front).
Oh well!
OOBEpZP.jpg

DORyFJa.jpg
BtsxqEP.jpg