Adding crazy tilt assembly... but to which frame?

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
This is sooo cool and very creative. This confirms my opinion to JT once on this forum that the Silvio is the most versatile of all cruzbikes hands down. Clearly with refinement this can become lighter and potentially a standard accessory to the Silvio

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Nope. Never gonna work. You should give up now and just send me the bike...

:)

OK. I tried.

That is just awe. some.

And we're really gonna need video sooner than later. Just sayin'.

:D

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
I wanted to check in and see how this project was going. Any videos of it in action? Very interesting.

Jim

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Hey Jim-- I went on tour (2 months of riding) about 16 hours after the delivery of the prototype, and haven't bolted it back onto the bike since then.
Perhaps I'll have some time this weekend, but any video would be short, since it looks to be stressing the frame a bit much. A couple of laps around the block would probably be it.

Prototype #2 will hopefully stress the frame less (I'll move the wheels more inboard, which reduces the lever-arm and thus the torque on the lower rear triangle mount which is currently visibly moving/bending which is pretty much just bad for Alu!) along with some other necessary improvements (more robust cam surface or multiple cam followers to reduce stress on it).

.. basically typical prototyping issues :)

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
The first prototype is bolted back onto the bike. I hope to have a video in the next day or two. Basically any riding on it is gated on receiving a new cam follower from McMaster Carr. They're generally amazingly fast at shipping, so there is hope this isn't overly optimistic!
The backup cam (not to be confused with a cam follower) is on there. Since it has a different profile than the original cam, it will feel different. I can still hopefully give folks an idea of how it works with a video.
I've also made some progress strapping a couple of GoPro cameras to the bike so that there will be mostly synchronized video facing forwards and looking at the mechanism (though from an angle). I don't know how informative it will be as the following video generated from the CAD model demonstrates what one could do with a cam better than you'll see in real-life since I exaggerated the dimensions greatly. In the real-life mechanism the movements along the rail are on the order of one or two millimeters.

I've taken a few pictures to help whet people's appetites for the videos for now.
I took the liberty of attaching both a 700c and a 20" (406) wheel. Since I didn't have two 700c wheels which I could attach, I just did them at the same time. I could totally ride the bike this way if I wished, but it'd look weird!.
In any case, I took a picture of it from each side to try to help people visualize what it might look like with each.

The following imgur album has the pics:
http://imgur.com/a/0dsCY

Pics 7 and 8 show how some of the parts were failing.
The part mating to the heim joint (pic 7) is twisting. Wrong material choice-- should have used steel or supported it from both sides.
In 8 you can see how the cam roller died-- the bottom disintegrated and the roller also cracked. This is probably because the stud onto which the cam roller is mounted bent, because it dented the original aluminium cam and these things together created stress risers..

.. ahhh prototypes...

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
So, the cam follower replacement arrived.
I installed it, and the/a new cam.

I mounted a couple of GoPros on the bike, and then made some videos.
I haven't yet figured out how to do picture-in-picture with any of the newly downloaded video editing software, but decided to go ahead and upload the video of the mechanism.
As I mention in the video description, you can see the mechanism slowly self-destruct as I ride "around the block", and that I fully intend to fix it.
(The easy fix is: Reduce the size of the cam by 1.25". Increase the size of the cam follower by the same amount. Make the new cam out of steel. Put the cam follower on another slider. Stick a piece of elastomer between the slider onto which the cam follower is mounted and something solid, and now we have something far less likely to break, and with a bit of suspension added in for good measure.)

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
So, the cam follower replacement arrived.
I installed it, and the/a new cam.

I mounted a couple of GoPros on the bike, and then made some videos.
I haven't yet figured out how to do picture-in-picture...

Ratz to the rescue! Maybe you can send the raw videos to him and let him edit them for you?

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
After downloading Blender and figuring it out for a bit, I put together a composite video of both foward-looking and looking-at-mechanism views.
I also got a quick video of me riding it, and then me demonstrating how the mechanism worked with some extreme tilts.

Enjoy!
Now time to focus on prototype #2-- steel beats alu!

(check out the one in the next post instead of this one!)

Last edited:

Martinius Berg

B.t.w how is it going with the Vendetta T Trike project that Jim Parker and Maria Parker are testing out together . Have they already decided to put the extra wheel/axle solution into production including a solution fore the other Cruzbike models ?

Martinius.

Last edited:

jond

Zen MBB Master
B.t.w how is it going with the Vendetta trike project that Jim Parker is testing out together with Maria Parker . Have they already decided to put the extra wheel/axle solution into production including a solution fore the other Cruzbike models ?

Martinius.
martinus you can find out more on the home page product outline. and sign up for updates

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Jond-- did you actually get updates about the Trikke or TTrike? If so, then when I signed up, I probably made some error and didn't :p :)

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
So, the other 700c wheel came in, so I now have pictures of the bike with all 700c wheels.
I've also been riding it around (yes, even with the self-destructing cam) for short distances.
Oh My Gosh. It is amazing at slow speeds. I can almost trackstand with it!
I can do the 90-degree 8-foot turning radius turn into my front walkway easily and repeatably.
I can do it while carrying a (heavyish) grocery bag in my left hand.

High-speed cornering.. not as great. I suspect this is mostly because of the self-destructing cam surface. As evidence to this, left turns currently have less resistance to right turns (because that is how the cam crumbles). I'm quite certain a new steel cam will solve this.

New pictures at the following link:

http://imgur.com/a/jZDSp

Teaser image:
bVLIvKWl.jpg

Please let me know if there are any specific pictures/videos you'd like to see.
I do intend to get another video of riding the bike (this time with the 700c wheels), but that will have to wait until the kiddo is sleeping and the wife is available :)