Advice requested about S30 gearing setup

Decker

Great discussion here... obviously a Cruzbike component wizard hangout. I hope to get some advice about an S30 set up

I've tremendously enjoyed my Quest 559 version 2.0 for the past few years, on a lovely commute of 25 miles/day. I'm now looking at a Silvio S30 for a road bike experience, but note that with a front compact 34/50 crank combined with a 11-32 cassette, my min/max gear inches would be about 28 and 121, not much different than the Quest (26.3 / 124.7) which I often maxed out on in relatively flat central Indiana.

Does anybody have experience with putting a standard crank-set (39/53) on the S30 with the 11-32 cassette? Any advice / problems with this set up?

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Except for chain length

Except for chain length differences, I would be surprised if you couldn't just pop off the 50/34 and throw on a 53/39. Or even swap back and forth.

And at some point you may even just go for 53/34 (assuming rear derailleur could handle it).

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Go with the Middle.

Since you didn't have problems with the Q559 default gearing and going up hill.....

I would put a 52/36 or 52/34 compact double BCD 110 on the front; both will shift fine. With the 52/34 you can't use little/little because the chain will rub on the inside of the 52 ring unless you have an Extension installed on your chainstay.

On the back you can run 11-32 or an 11-28. You will find that the Silvio will climb far easier than the Q559.
On our Silvio's I can climb most hills in F36+R26/28 but sometimes having the 11-32 installed is handy.

We have a Q559 and I absolutely had to put a 12-34 cassette on it, to climb the same hills that I can ride in F36+R28 on the Silvio.

Decker

Great Advice!

Thanks for the info...

Ratz, you mention a compact crank 52/36 or 52/34. Can I put a standard crank on the S30 or does it require a compact? (bit worried about putting too large a sprocket 52-53 on a compact crank)

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Decker I don't see why you

Decker I don't see why you couldn't...and also, I believe Ratz ran a 52x39 on a compact double.

I would also suggest, going with the Sram Force 22 FD if you aren't doing Di2 system. The shifts are smooth and precise once adjusted.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
52 rings are fine on a 110

52 rings are fine on a 110 bcd. 52/36 is a standard configure from all major players now. I follow a lot racing press (bike techno nerd) and most of the press now considers 53 too big for most riders much like the abandoning of 175mm cranks. According to many respected writers the 50/34 and 52/36 are now considered the premier options for above average (non-elite) riders. If you worry about the strength of the rings get aero ones that have more metal. If you want max range you can pair a 52/34 rotor qring on a compact, the elliptical nature with allow the shifting to work, and all gear combinations except little/little to be used. Lastly because of the shape that provides gearing that performs like running a 54/32 or 56/30 depending on the OCD you select.

Ivan

Guru
I got a good deal on

I got a good deal on shortened cranks 130bcd but if I had a choice new, I would indeed go for compact 110bcd to have the option of swapping to smaller chainring if needed for a hilly tour.