aero helmets .............options and thoughts

jond

Zen MBB Master
giro air attack shield 2015 v bontrager ballista 2015 v kask vertigo non aero helmet

my christmas presents under the tree have been put to use. here is a subjective completely personal unscientific opinion.

i say if you feel fast you are fast. yeah yeah

temperature of the head and comfort.

from the outset let me say it is summer here downunda.

therefore the hottest helmet has had only a couple of rides. the hottest helmet by far is the giro air attack.

the bontrager ballista is cool almost as cool as the kask. yet the ballista has few vents. the ballista also includes two inserts with one operating as a sweat divert. it therefore has a great cooling design.

the giro will have to wait for autumn. fall fall fall :) sheesh

i find the kask the most comfortable as expected of their premium helmet.

cost

kask 350 /giro 300 /bontrager 200 aust dollars.
nb australian standards make our helmets heavier as our standard is tougher than others.

hey there good looking

i find the kask the nicest looking. the rounded shape and shield of the giro are .....polarising but gives the most purposeful look. the shield is either something that works for you or not.

the bontrager is more like the kask in overall shape but is still noticeably different as an aero helmet.
i like it if not quite as much as the traditional shaped helmet. .

fit on the vendetta and my noggin

both the bontrager and giro fit well on the vendetta with an adjustable harness height at the back of the head. both are 3 position style and clear the headrest in my case.

previous kask helmets could be made to fit the vendetta but so far i cannot get the vertigo to work.

they all fit well enough on my ahem ahem large size head.

speed

well i feel faster with the aero helmets and that surely is all that counts. vroom vroom listen to the noise right.

research says 16 watts and whilst i have power meters i cannot be bothered to scientifically experiment.

lest i find a confusing result :)

value and quality

kask is a nicely finished helmet and priced to match.

giro has come down in price as it loses market share and is of good quality. the lens is a class act as is the docking mechanism

bontrager is of lesser quality and finish but has the two interchangeable linings and a bag all for a reasonable price.

winner

well at this stage i would have to give it to the bontrager ballista with the caveat that i will do further testing of the giro as it cools down....unda.

based on year round comfort. sun protection with few vents. appearance. versatility. third party pro testing of aero advantage . value for money. inclusions.

Robert O

I like the Giro for the shield. The Pacific Northwest of the USA has a reputation for being kind of, well, damp. This year, it's definitely living up to that. I needed a way to keep rain out of my eyes, and my prescription glasses complicate that. The Giro's shield design keeps the upper part of my face from getting pelted, and it's easier for me to clear water off the shield than off of my glasses.

emperature of the head and comfort.

from the outset let me say it is summer here downunda.

therefore the hottest helmet has had only a couple of rides. the hottest helmet by far is the giro air attack.

the bontrager ballista is cool almost as cool as the kask. yet the ballista has few vents. the ballista also includes two inserts with one operating as a sweat divert. it therefore has a great cooling design.

the giro will have to wait for autumn. fall fall fall :) sheesh

i find the kask the most comfortable as expected of their premium helmet.

Sadly I have to agree with the Giro Air Attack. I don't have 3 other helmets to fall back on. I have my old Catlike whisper plus which funnily enough I bought because my previous didn't have enough cooling. However the does not work the best with the vendetta. I have put up with it but been longing to replace it. I might try and see if I can find a work around for the giro because I looove it, otherwise it will cool down soon enough

jond

Zen MBB Master
see if I can find a work around for the giro because I looove it,

barry you would not be disappointed with the bontrager ballista i would think and as i said the harness is like the giro.adjustable for height at the back. my wife has been getting onto me lately about my stripey head. standard helmet with vents allows a certain unusual suntan to pattern my bald ness and this is the real reason i purchased go fast helmets :) ha ha. the bontrager stops this suntan pattern yet is still very cool and i can feel the air rushing over my chrome dome. great design. looks a bit funny but then so does my head.

best of all is the value if you consider $200 a reasonable ask for an "aero" helmet that fits a vendetta without undue positioning tilting of said helmet.

barry you would not be disappointed with the bontrager ballista
I am sure I would not however my budget does not extend to another helmet for an as yet still unregistered teacher thanks to ongoing bureaucracy but that's another story. I cannot easily and don't want to return the giro it will come good as it starts to cool down. Perhaps next summer I may consider the bontrager as a second when it gets too hot.

1happyreader

zen/child method
a visor that makes sense on a recumbent against a low sun, but isn't too expensive
Quickbeam,
You will find years of threads on BROL about sun visors .

I don't like wearing a ballcap or visor under a helmet.

Plastic or carbon sheet (zip tied )
free pattern (jpeg below)
Bent-Ray carbon sheet

Riding/Kayak helmet (single strip of adhesive velcro)
NRS
Salamander (broken link edit)

Bmx visor ( zip tied ? )
Fly
BTO

Da Brim Rezzo (strap on bra mount )
Three visor lenghts available

Rick Youngblood used a BMX visor .

My wife uses an NRS but my helmet did not have much smooth surface.

My icon shows me with the largest dabrim visor It's like having a front porch in the florida sun. The bra really has to be strapped tight. The visor can be fiddled to many angles but if you don't leave a bow or venting gap, It will try to remove itself in high wind. The bra interferes with some of the helmets venting. Fabric visor gets waterlogged in heavy rain.

The free pattern was used with a stiff plastic report cover.
creased along lines and zip tied on.
visora3.jpg

Hope this gives you a running start !! LOL
later,,,, bye

Last edited:

brokemyback

It looks like this thread is covering both visors and shields.
Has anyone tried "wideeyez" retrofit shields? http://www.wideeyez.com
Has anyone retrofit a Giro Air Attack shield onto another helmet?

I don't have a problem with simple fabrication, like inserting magnets to grab the Giro shield.

jond

Zen MBB Master
It looks like this thread is covering both visors and shields.
Has anyone tried "wideeyez" retrofit shields? http://www.wideeyez.com
Has anyone retrofit a Giro Air Attack shield onto another helmet?

I don't have a problem with simple fabrication, like inserting magnets to grab the Giro shield.

not tried wideeyez but have tried the free pattern and da brim in 100mm 4".

i really like da brim as you can angle it to suit the sun's direction and height from horizon. as noted they can blow off though if and only if you catch the wind with them. so at speed above 30klm per hour it is best to hold your head still and not lift your head. my visor has come off once at about 80klm per hour. around the velcro bra you can if you wish just zip tie it to the helmet for additional security. may friend did that i did not.

i also like the outdoor research sunrunner cap for neck protection. use netti uv leggings too.

glad to hear some of america still has sunshine :)

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I need a "smart shield" that will automatically dim in specific areas by degrees of darkening to block the sun from shining directly in my eyes. This could be based on the mirror and window technology that was invented a while back. But it would also have to be smart enough to do it just right so I don't get sun in my eyes but can see everything normally otherwise. I would also like it yesterday and to cost less than free.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I need a "smart shield" that will automatically dim in specific areas by degrees of darkening to block the sun from shining directly in my eyes. This could be based on the mirror and window technology that was invented a while back. But it would also have to be smart enough to do it just right so I don't get sun in my eyes but can see everything normally otherwise. I would also like it yesterday and to cost less than free.

Giro Smoke lense plus project rudy self tinting glasses under neath it works pretty well. Glasses will partially tint and you get the affect of the two filters. If it gets really bright flip up the Giro lense and let the glasses go full dark.