All sorts

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Sometimes the Thread Title doesn't come naturally. The ride was the first real ride where I was pushing it after a knee injury after 3.5 weeks. I have now changed my training routine and diet. Recovery rides every other ride which includes stretches. I physically stop the bike, get off and stretch because I know when I get home I can't be bothered. They are really important as all the muscles in my thighs and lower legs were so tight ... with tendons so tight, it can't be good for the knees or the lower back. So there is a stretching regime. Calf , hamstring, quadriceps and glutes stretches and knee strengthening exercises too.

Not only this but my diet has changed too. I stopped taking sugar in my coffee and food. I don't eat anything with corn syrup or fructose. I eat raisons and peanuts between meals and have fruit after meals. I try to eat early in the evening - finishing before 9pm and eat breakfast between 10:30 and 11:30. The best thing about the diet... I don't feel hungry at all. Before with consuming sugar... I would peak and swing the opposite way thus wanting another high; so always hungry. So I am better balanced. If you haven't seen the film "The Sugar Film", watch it. It's a life changer.

The bike has got the carbon wheels on and I have just been itching to ride it up a great big hill. So how did it go??? My heart rate went up to 164bpm going up the hill and usually by the top of the hill, the sweat is pouring off me, but not any more. More importantly my left knee didn't bother me.

I took a tin of Tuna to put on my breakfast. :rolleyes: I asked the owners of the restaurant if I could put it on my toast and tomato and they agreed. Excellent. I get a dose of protein just when it counts about half way around the ride.

I have found it impossible to get past 30mph on the straights but now I can reach 33mph (52.94kph). The most strangest thing about that goal of getting past 30mph I never set myself a reward. So I bought another Giro Replacement Air Attack shield from Amazon. They are really cheap at the moment.

It was magnificent. Incredible. I came back so excited.The weather over here has been perfect in the mornings between 13 to 19c with very little wind and a few clouds... with a big sea breeze kicking in later in the day. It has been so good that I had to stop a few times to appreciate the beauty that surrounded me. So So Grateful for this.

One negative that I have is my chain isn't engaging so well on the large chainwheel. Could it be stretched? I pedal with carbon soled shoes so there is more power and I haven't changed the chain for 18 months. How long does a chain last? Or shall I just take a link out and see if it behaves better?

Oh yes... I prefer to cycle with the Giro shield on as there are so many bees flying around. Not much fun with these little fellas and there are so many in the air but they just bounce of the visor shield just fine.

Love cycling, better than any drug.
IMG_1507.PNG IMG_1511.PNG IMG_1512.PNG IMG_1513.PNG

Lief

Guru Schmuru
David!
You hit me with a double whammy this time! Vendetta + sugar reduction.

On advice of my naturopath several ears ago I drastically reduced my intake of simple sugars and simple carbohydrates and yes - life changer.

Several years ago I drastically reduced my intake and my life changes for the better in many ways. I'll post my personal blog post on the subject or pm it to you if you like.

And just yesterday I read this article on nutritional advice from the past 40 yrs.
Wow.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/07/the-sugar-conspiracy-robert-lustig-john-yudkin

Glad to hear of all your measurable success! Ride on!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
One negative that I have is my chain isn't engaging so well on the large chainwheel. Could it be stretched? I pedal with carbon soled shoes so there is more power and I haven't changed the chain for 18 months. How long does a chain last? Or shall I just take a link out and see if it behaves better?

You want this: http://www.parktool.com/product/chain-checker-cc-2

Since you have dropped the sugar; no gel packs. Carry a small package of almond butter; In the U.S. you can get them in little pouches just like the Gel.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
David,

Here are two things to try if you haven't yet:

1) Ice your problem knee after every ride 10 to 20 minutes per hour for a few hours for up to 24 hours. It will work wonders on a problem knee. You can even ice your other knee - it feels good.
2) Buy a hard foam roller and roll out your legs after every ride. Work the fronts and sides thoroughly. It will speed up recovery. It can be a little painful, but it's worth it.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler

quickbeam

One negative that I have is my chain isn't engaging so well on the large chainwheel. Could it be stretched?
I assume you've tried adjusting the derailleur? If it's not engaging on the large chainwheel, but the smaller is okay, I would think it's too tight, not too loose, or am I missing something?

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Instead of going out and buying a new chain I thought of replacing the fraying front gear cable. It's a little cheaper and move the limiting nut and apply more tension. Let's see what happens when I am out next time.

It's what Bob says... A chain should last 8000 miles. Well I don't think I am quite up to that level and I keep my chain really clean each week. So it's worth doing to see what's what.

I will give my self another goal and if I reach it I will buy a most wonderful chain.

Maybe I read the book that Jim mentions and lose another 10 lbs. That could be well worth a nice waxed chain for sure!

Last edited: