Another V20 Build Adventure

telephd

Guru
Greetings all. I have deboxed my Ebay V20 and am excited about putting it together. Im going with a full Ultegra 6800 build. Today received the groupset so Im ready to start building. Ill take some pics and document the process as I proceed.
I have a question before I get started. Does anyone know if a press-fit bottom bracket will work with the bottom bracket shell on the V20? The instructions say not to start the build without the BB and I will have to go purchase a threaded version if the press-fit isnt appropriate.

Thanks in advance!

Hal

scabinetguy

Hal, you may need a set of these for the BB clamps. The 6800 cups are smaller in diameter than the previous versions.

telephd

Guru
Ill bite scabinetguy, what do

Ill bite scabinetguy, what do you call those and where might I locate a pair?

scabinetguy

Shims

These are cut from aluminum tubing (onlinemetals.com). Nothing mysterious, 1 3/4" outside x 1 5/8" inside. The old BBs are 1 3/4" diameter, the 6800s are 1 5/8". I don't have any experience with the press-on type. I have a feeling that the threaded type would be best for clamping. Another note is that you need to have a nice square edge to clamp to, some BBs have tapered edges.

telephd

Guru
Rick, I talked with the LBS

Rick, I talked with the LBS and they suggested that the pressfit would not provide the same positive interface as would a threaded BB. It will be Monday until I get down to pick up a new BB. I was suprised to find that there were no assembly instructions with the V20 so I printed off the instructions from the V2.0 and am using them to the best of my ability. Im pretty much hamstrung without the BB however. It appears that the V20 has come more assembled than the V2.0s did.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Correct me if I wrong. But,

Correct me if I wrong. But, is not press fit a (or in) BB30, and if so I don't think they would work with BSA??

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I was suprised to find that

I was suprised to find that there were no assembly instructions with the V20...

This sounds like a job for "Bob the Builder"...hint, hint! Bob, a good way to spend those freezing days ahead?!?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
GXP Is required

If someone wants to send me a V20 frameset i will be happy to do a build diary.

As as for the press fit. That indeed will not work as the bearings don't have a large enough outboard cup.

You need a GXP outboard bearing cup to clamp onto.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Hal - assembly instructions & pics for the V20

Cruzbike support just sent me these. Hope they help.

telephd

Guru
Rick, I was suprised not to

Rick, I was suprised not to find directions too. Larry, did your V20 have instructions in the box? Thanks for forwarding those pics too Larry. My headset stack was already assembled on the steer tube and the boom was fully assembled as well. I have the item from the first pics and assumed that it must have something to do with securing the headrest.

Bob, Ive got a Ultegra 6800 crankset and was assuming that I would pick up the BB for that crank. Do you know if the GXP BB will work with the 6800 crankset?

LarryOz

Hal - no I did not get any instructions either

Cruzbike support had not finished them yet, and emailed me that pdf I attached

telephd

Guru
Missed that the first time

Missed that the first time around - just saw the pics. Thanks again Larry. Glad to see your fix for the boom....

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Hello all, There are new

Hello all,

There are new instructions nearing completion now. The new ones are not radically different that the old ones or than the S30 ones that are up (shared front ends)

They should be up shortly.

Robert

iow

"Do you know if the GXP BB

"Do you know if the GXP BB will work with the 6800 crankset?"

no, the gxp bb's are 2mm smaller internal diameter on the non-drive side, but any of the earlier shimano road HTII bb's will fit. ie. if you want to stay with ultegra the BB6700 will work with your 6800 cranks and will not require shims (or a new tool to fit).

telephd

Guru
My build has not progressed

My build has not progressed because the diameter of the threaded 6800 BB is too small to fit the V20 BB housing. Im not comfortable trying the shims and really wanted to stay with the 6800 because the reviews show it much superior to the 6700. Does anyone here have experience with both? Is the 6800 that much better? Is there another higher quality BB that will fit the BB housing that I can use with my 6800 cranks? Larry, will the GPX you chose work with the 6800? thanks, Hal

LarryOz

yes, GXP XD-15 works well for me... but

I have SRAM GXP crankset to go with it, not sure about
This is what you want if the GXP works for you, probably can't get much better!

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id225.html

I found this, but haven't had a chance to really dissect it thoroughly.
http://wheelsmfg.com/complete-crankset-bb-adapter-guide

telephd

Guru
Thanks Larry.  The GPX is not

Thanks Larry. The GPX is not compatable with Shimano. Right now Im researching the dura ace BB-9000 and the XTR BB93.

BrianA

I have recently completed a

I have recently completed a S30 build using a Shimano Ultegra 6800 groupset. The S30 and V20 have the same frame (basically) and you will need an English thread BB. As mentioned above the BB that comes with the 6800 groupset is not suitable, because the outer diameter of the bearing cups is too small for the chainstay clamp. I would not recommend fitting shims - I purchased another BB (an older style Shimano) that has the larger bearing cups, a small price to pay to ensure everything fits properly.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
As far as I know the Xd-15 is

As far as I know the Xd-15 is compatible with all the hollowtech 2 road cranks.

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id240.html

This is the Shimano version of the one Larry and I both run.

They have less expensive ones here.

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id224.html

Not fully up on the 6800 crank and why they changed the BB but support at RWC could tell you for sure.