Another V20 Build Adventure

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
The component manufacturers

The component manufacturers are constantly changing the specs for this sort of thing and really there is no reason for them to be a certain size or shape for anyone else. Even the new FSA EVO line requires a special tool, which as a shop already stocked with BB tools is annoying to have to purchase yet another proprietary tool.

Robert

telephd

Guru
Thanks again everyone.  I

Thanks again everyone. I found a BB-7900 locally but it is Italian threaded. Since Im not looking to thread the BB into a shell it shouldnt matter english or italian threads should it?

Apollo

The BB must be English

The BB must be English threaded, any other threading won't work and you might damage the BB shell if you force an incompatible BB. It's the same for any bike frame, only one thread standard will work.

Regarding the new Shimano BBs, the Dura-Ace BB-9000 and new Ultegra 6800/105 5800 BB designated SM-BBR60, have smaller diameter adjustment cups that require the clamp adapters to fit the frame.

telephd

Guru
Apollo, there is no threaded

Apollo, there is no threaded shell just chainstay clamps that holds the BB.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
There is indeed a threaded BB

There is indeed a threaded BB shell and it only takes English threads. The clamps attach to the external bearing cups which are screwed in the shell.

as to this 6800 fork of the thread. Options are simple pick a BB from a third party for $49-$199 or return the crank and get a different one. Other than that we seem to be going in circles here.

telephd

Guru
Bob, I appreciate your

Bob, I appreciate your comments but it is apparent that because you have built or worked on several cruzbikes this is intuitive to you. It is not so for me. No where in the instructions does it say that the BB requires english threading. Apollo's mention was the first. Obviously Im confused about this as is my LBS. Ive sent several help requests to Cruzbike Support and all have gone unanswered. The instructions that Support sent Larry reference many pictures but there were none in the PDF. He included a couple on that reply but none show the installation of the BB. Just trying to figure out how to to get the bike built....thats all

ratz

Yeah that's what happens when

Yeah that's what happens when I post from an ipad late at night.

Sorry about that Hal when I read it last night I could have sworn it was someone else giving you bad info. That small screen doesn't do much for my reading and typing tone.

My point was that a BB Shell is a very common term and a quick google of it will lead you to the definition of what it is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_frame#Bottom_bracket_shell So I wanted to keep someone from misleading you. Of course it was you posting so I missed the mark completely. Sorry about that, best intentions.....

If you local LBS is confused by the BB Shell an English threads; I would honestly see if they have a more experience mechanic you can work with; all bike mechanics should be able to point to the shell at 30 feet from any frame; the cruzbike included, and a quick check with any bear cup on head would confirm which thread it is. This of course assume they have gotten over the shock of the weird looking frame. That's not to decry them; it's just surprising that's all.

As for the 6800 series as Robert posted that's a freaking scam by Shimano to sell more expensive tools. External bearing cups have been standard for awhile now and all shops have the tools. Everything I have googled tell me that is a standard hallowtech2 crank; so you should be able pickup GXP style BB with English Threads that is Hallowtech Compatible. You LBS should actually have them in stock in the shops; it's a pretty common part. If not get some cheap $49-ish and try it; you'll know pretty quick if it works or not. If a hallowtech2 compatible BB doesn't work; then your best off getting a different crank and saving yourself further frustration.

The V 2.0 installation guides while slightly different than the V20 should give you most of what you might be missing:
http://cruzbike.com/sites/default/files/documentation/Vendetta%20Assembly%20Notes%20version%202.0.pdf

Also useful is the V 1.5 notes and Silvio V30 manual
http://cruzbike.com/VendettaAssemblyNotes.pdf
http://cruzbike.com/sites/default/files/documentation/Silvio%20S30%20Assembly%20Notes%20version%202.2.pdf

I imagine support is slow because of all the rebranding, ttrike stuff and the trip to florida. That's unfortunate timing, but in the meantime a few of us here can fill in the blanks; assuming we don't get whose posting mixed up in our heads. Again sorry about that.

So at this point where are you stuck? Is it still a function of getting an English Three BB with External cups that are traditional sized and compatible with the Hallowtech2 6800?

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I thought the answer was all

I thought the answer was all the way up @ post #13 by ~IOW:
"Do you know if the GXP BB will work with the 6800 crankset?"no, the gxp bb's are 2mm smaller internal diameter on the non-drive side, but any of the earlier shimano road HTII bb's will fit. ie. if you want to stay with ultegra the BB6700 will work with your 6800 cranks and will not require shims (or a new tool to fit).

I would add make sure it's English Threads!

telephd

Guru
Thanks again Bob and Rick. 

Thanks again Bob and Rick. Bob I think my quick trip into the LBS and the odd looking (part) of the triangle that I brought in totally confused the mechanic I spoke with. I had located a 7900 BB with Italian threads and that was the reason for that question. Another shop I checked told me they had a set of English 7900 cups but no tube that connects the cups (a complete BB I assumed.) When I looked at the diagram with the V20 and S30 instructions it just mentions the cups. Do I need the entire bottom bracket including the part the connects the cups or just the cups? Sorry for the rookie questions I really thought I was better versed!

Rick I have been trying to source a 6700 or 7900 BB but both are scarce as hens teeth around here.

ratz

Warning, it's another

Warning, it's another bleary eye post :) :) My contacts seem to fatigue at this hour.

The tube is for dust, moisture and dirt protection. Most of them are the same length and diameter; as them steal one from another one :)

You can install without one if you ride in really wet or dessert dry conditions daily. If you do have those conditions you'll want to double back and add one eventually, but it's not something that will keep you off the road. Over tightening you chain stay cup clamps will do more damage to the bearings than omitting the sleeve will. You should be fine for < 1000 miles.

As you are learning these kit builds make you smarter fast; and it's all by error education. You're doing great.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Rick I have been trying to

Rick I have been trying to source a 6700 or 7900 BB but both are scarce as hens teeth around here.

As Bob posted early on in the thread the RWC makes some great BB sets that will work with Shimano Hollowtech 2 Cranks spindles.

XD-15 BOTTOM BRACKET GRADE 3 CERAMIC BALLS FOR SHIMANO&reg; HOLLOWTECH 2&reg; Best $199

"RWC" CERAMIC HYBRID BOTTOM BRACKET FOR SHIMANO&reg; HOLLOWTECH 2&reg; $124

"RWC" OUTBOARD BOTTOM BRACKET FOR SHIMANO&reg; HOLLOWTECH 2&reg; $59

Bob has a video around here somewhere showing the difference between a stock (non-ceramic and ceramic bearing BB) when spinning the cranks without a chain installed, and the XD-15 is like the Energizer Bunny, it just keeps going and going. They are on my bike whishlist.

But, I think you have in your hands what you need to get the bike on the road, the tubeless 7900 bb should work for now.

telephd

Guru
Thanks again Bob and Rick. 

Thanks again Bob and Rick. Wanted to go with the x-15 but cash flow is reaching critical and I need to slow the hemorrhage. Found new, old stock complete BB-7900 up in San Lois Obispo for $20 each so I ordered two this morning. I remember watching that spin down video it is very telling. Bob, in that thread you mentioned another thread that had some instructions regarding tightening the chainstay clamps. I searched for bottom bracket and couldnt find that thread. Could either of you please point me to it?

On another note, my new to me S30 is going to be delivered tomorrow morning
tongue_smile.gif

ratz

Robert recommends only

Robert recommends only tightening them 1/4 turn past snug; that's what I do now and it seems to work; but that's only tested on the indoor trainer since learning it. But I have no reason to doubt him and it does make a different; I was clearly over tightening them before.

Cruzbike Chris

And that works Bob

I will add ditto to what Bob says. I loosened mine up and tighten to 1/4 turn and they have been that way now for close to 300 miles without a glitch. Sounds loose and feels loose when you are done but it works in reality. Thanks again Bob for the suggestion.

ratz

Hal - no I did not get any instructions either

Cruzbike support had not finished them yet, and emailed me that pdf I attached

Looks like the forum upgrade ate the PDF as it's no longer attached to that post.