Any CruzBikers competing in the Race Across the West aka RAW?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Ive been constantly hounded by a certain individual about wanting me to enter the RAW ever since I finished the 24hr worlds last year. Organizing a chase vehicle and crew for a race like this is something I have no experience with and honestly just seems like too much hassle.

I'm just looking for a little insight to the ins and outs of the chase vehicle deal. Also is anyone else going to race it? Do the winners of the RAW even sleep?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Word has it via Jim's Blog post that Ben has been considering whether it's RAAM or RAW in the future.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Word has it via Jim's Blog post that Ben has been considering whether it's RAAM or RAW in the future.
I think I remember talking with Ben and that he indicated that he would ride RAW this year as kind of a pre-cursor to RAAM - i.e. help him try and figure out planning, logistics, etc for the longer RAAM ride later.
Jason, I'm not sure how often, or even if Ben gets on this forum, but I talk with him via text and email sometimes.
Send me your email and I'll forward it to him and you can strike up the conversation with him.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I'm pretty sure we're connected via FB. I was under the impression he was going full RAMM but honestly he seemed slightly hesitant after his 24hr worlds result.

I'm also freaking out about the cost to enter the race. If each rider is required to bring their own mobile aid station then why does it cost $1000 to enter? Why are RAMM related events so expensive? How much was Sebring 24hr?

Last edited:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I think Sebring 24 was about $100 or so.
Yes, I like the RAAM concept, but the cost is so exorbitant! That is probably why I'll never do it even if I thought I could unless there was someone who fully sponsored my - which would never happen! :)
If I ever wanted to do a cross-country I think I would do the Trans Am Bike Race (or similar). I would be fun to do with several others....
http://transambikerace.com/about/

ratz

I think Sebring 24 was about $100 or so.
Yes, I like the RAAM concept, but the cost is so exorbitant! That is probably why I'll never do it even if I thought I could unless there was someone who fully sponsored my - which would never happen! :)
If I ever wanted to do a cross-country I think I would do the Trans Am Bike Race (or similar). I would be fun to do with several others....
http://transambikerace.com/about/

Larry we can do that for fun after we both retire. I'll compete with you to see who can go slower.

And the more I think about it; this is a great idea; if we have the "luggage" distributed by rider strength. That would mean you'd be pull a "Bob-Brand" trailer behind your bike and I would have carrier a couple water bottles; thus making our Watts/Kg equal.

Last edited:

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I think I would do the Trans Am Bike Race (or similar). I would be fun to do with several others..
I saw the film on Apple TV when in Florida. Those riders just go for it. 3 hours sleep a night. One Canadian had his own powder so he could mix and just drink replacement meals for 15 days on the go as he needed a little more sleep than three hours a night.

I reckon they just had a fleecy jacket for night riding and a Bivvy bag, for the 3 hour sleep.

Does it really sound fun?

Probably would be if you were doing it for charity.

All sorts of things can happen on a journey like that.

And of course an English guy wins it.

Cracker!!!!

ratz

Well clearly it should be done with new East to West direction if you want to really make a statement about recumbents aero advantage. I like the idea of the new pairs option; non drafting but mutual support for break downs.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
if we have the "luggage"
Naaaa do it the easy way. Post a package to you on route. Pick it up on route and post back anything you don't need. Or you could buy new shirts and shorts on the way and post them back just so you don't have to carry so much.

Or do what the Canadian did in the film "TransAm" and post the meal powder to himself. He came a close second.

You could even use a lifestraw personal water filter too; I wouldn't be surprised if it could give drinking water out of seawater... It's real clever technology.

SamP

Guru
A water filter bottle is probably a lot more convenient than a lifestraw-style filter. You can filter water then pour it into your water bottles. (I have a Grayl I picked up about 18 months ago, as a backup when I went to Indonesia).

ratz

Ben announced on Facebook that he is signed up for RAW as of yesterday