Are Vendetta's really fast or what??????

Lief

Guru Schmuru
54 is very very fast.
If ever it looked like a good road for it that was the one.
Things change very quickly at that speed.

Oh and if I'd had a camera on we would have had a deer shot to watch. 10 feet or so in front of me. Not OVER me tho - crazy.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
That is CLOSE!!!!!!! 3 m

I nearly S##t myself when an escaped deer from a nearby deer farm, was grazing on the roadside, heard me say SH*T and took one step then jumped across a 2 lane road AND up a 20 ft embankment in ONE BOUND!!!!
It was like seeing a cat jump 8 ft horizontal and vertically to catch a bird, but 100 times bigger!!! Animals are absolutely amazing athletes!!!

I was doing 80 kph+ at the time on my Scorpion FX trike and LOCKED (BB5 with MTB levers, so a 73:1 mechanical advantage, instead of the normal BB7, Sprye of 33:1), the front wheels on a smooth hotmix road, so I missed him by 50 m NOT 3 m, but I still slowed down to 50 kph for the rest of the 7 km descent, with by hands on the brakes ALL the way!! It was a good excuse to replace the flattened Greenspeed Scorcher 20"*1.5" tyres with much better Kojaks 20"*1.3"

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Wow. 54 mph that is really high speed.
My speed record is 59 mph. It was on fully loaded bike, I simply cannot hit this speed without bags. My bag acts as tailbox and it adds significant weight. But never more. My frame is flexing a lot under heavy bags. I hitted some roughness and bike jumped a little bit. I balanced it without any problem. After downhill I was told that my balancing maneuver was more than 1 meter wide.

jond

Zen MBB Master
wow larry that was thrilling. butt squirming and clenching might i add too. your freewheel sounded like a swarm of angry wasps. what a ride.
the lean and coming over the double lines and subsequent lean into the corners was eek scary. personally on my catrike 700 i have hit 93klm per hour. i descended the same hill on the v last weekend but was not game to let her run. i reckon she would hit 100klm per hour for sure but the road surface is questionable pot holes. the video was epic loved it when you passed the DF . this is why we climb hills to bomb down the other side. advantage vendetta.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Yeah - it is pretty scary. I won't be don't that kind of speed anytime soon (I hope).
I do really prefer just flatlands, or nice rollers. Of course, even falling and sliding at 30mph can ruin your day.

I think I might have to look into the kevlar stuff at some point, even for just riding on the track! :)
ahh larry given the opportunity we all like to fly. gutsy for sure. the bikes are made for just exactly this it is just the riders who have to let the brakes off if we are game.... roadrunner alright. thanks for sharing that one.

Suz

Larry! Going around a curve at 50+ mph? I'm not worthy I'm not worthy (bowing to you).

Wow. For sure don't show Mrs Oz.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Which is the best hill descender!!!!
Silvio V2.5+(27 degree seat back + suspension) compared to a Vendetta (21 degree seat back, no suspension).
Silvio V1.0 and 1.5 compared (45 degree seat back) to a Silvio 2.0+ (27 degree seat back)

For you Guys and Gals with privilege of having two of the top end Cruzbikes, and have descended the same hill in similar weather conditions, I was wondering if the suspension on the Silvio was an advantage over the Vendetta, on rough sections and especially when cornering!

Is the 45 degree seat of the Silvio V1.0 & V1.5 an advantage over the V2.0+ with a 27 degree seat, with both having suspension.

How much improvement in cornering has there been when going to a larger width tyre?

Alan W Dolbeer

Cornering on a smooth road I would imagine the V would have a clear advantage. ( though I have yet to ride a V). I have been riding my Silvio 1.5 for the last four years and can feel the front suspension activate regularly on rough pavement surfaces. So perhaps the Silvio might have a corning advantage on rougher pavement but this is just a guess on my part. Many factors to consider really. IE rider weight, tire pressure, degree of roughness of the road, etc.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Based on the exact same wheelset with 25x700c tires.

The V will coast up to a higher speed on the same hill every time. My test hill 40 versus 36. CdA is the trump card.
The long wheel base on the Vendetta offsets much of the lacking of suspension; but the S Silvio is smoother; any speed on the Silvio feels "slower" than the same speed on the Vendetta. It's the sports car versus the cadillac effect.

Cornering at speed and applying power/acceleration into the pedals; the V inspires more confidence because the nose stays stable; so I don't feel the need to back off. but I'd much rather take a direct rock impact on the front tire of the Silvio at speed than the on the Vendetta. Having done it on both I would rate that event on the Silvio as an "oops" and on the Vendetta it is more like "@#$%@#$%@#$%@#$%"

Last edited:

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Alan and Ratz are correct. If it's not a really crappy road, aerodynamics will drive terminal velocity. As far as how fast you are willing to go, suspension may play a major role, particularly if the roads are quite crappy. And so the Silvio would shine here.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Two rides ago, just turned down the ramp and saw in my mirror a great big truck. The road narrow and the road goes from smooth to rough with on coming traffic. Not a nice position to be in. There was a foot of clearance when the truck past me. And I was vibrating like a jelly. I have 28 mm tyres on the V2.0 and I was still vibrating. I slowly applied the brakes and took one of my feet out of the clip just for balance. The 28mm tyres, the Vintisit seat pad, and the frame are the bike's suspension system.

I did beat my top speed today and I wasn't even trying. Just practicing getting the cadence rate up to 100 rpm... did a pb in that today as well... got to 102!

Last edited:

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Having been on high speed downhills - smooth and rough - on all of these bikes the V has the advantage in every case. It is like cornering on rails.

The Silvio handles the corners well, but I would not take them as fast as I do on my V.

Each of these bikes has very clear advantages in certain situations and that is a good thing.

Had my caliper brakes tuned by my LBS before riding the TdC on Sunday. Right before my phone died I hit a long, straight roller that I really didn't want to climb back out of. So I let Sigr-D run. Hit the bottom at 41 mph and carried enough momentum to get up the other side. Whoa was that an experience for someone that's been riding a CB for 6 weeks.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
The Silvio handles the corners well, but I would not take them as fast as I do on my V.

O.k. So I've ridden a Silvio 30 for 30 seconds and never seen a V in real life.

What about the Vendetta makes it corner better than a Silvio? Your CoM is lower on the V (and it isn't obvious to me if I think that should make it better or worse).

Others who have ridden both? Enquiring minds want to know! :)

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
I think it is a combo of a lower COG and no front suspension. There is zero vague feeling about the front end of a V - it is a power machine and like a train in the corners. This is where it shows its true racing roots I think.

That said, the S30 (or even the older Silvio V1 etc) are much smoother over the entire road and ride. It is a bit higher but at the same speed (for me at least) the front suspension has a bit softer feel.

They are both 100% awesome machines. If I could I would have the V1 Silvio for the steep climbs, the S30 for the rough roads, and the V20 for the screaming downhills. :)

Robert

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Cornering is fun on the Cruzbike, since you can power through corners
at acute lean angles without worrying about striking either the tarmac or the wheel with your heels.

Never corner so fast that you can't change your line.

Cruzbikes are faster than I am.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
"Cruzbikes are faster than I am"

I would agree with that 100%

The V1 has a great power position IMHO for the steeps. The V20 is faster on the rollers/flats/downhills.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Two rides ago, just turned down the ramp and saw in my mirror a great big truck. The road narrow and the road goes from smooth to rough with on coming traffic. Not a nice position to be in. There was a foot of clearance when the truck past me. And I was vibrating like a jelly. I have 28 mm tyres on the V2.0 and I was still vibrating. I slowly applied the brakes and took one of my feet out of the clip just for balance. The 28mm tyres, the Vintisit seat pad, and the frame are the bike's suspension system.

I did beat my top speed today and I wasn't even trying. Just practicing getting the cadence rate up to 100 rpm... did a pb in that today as well... got to 102!
102 wow you are game david. i wonder if the truck driver cared how close he was. you want to stay off that road if trucks are regular users.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
hey are both 100% awesome machines. If I could I would have the V1 Silvio for the steep climbs, the S30 for the rough roads, and the V20 for the screaming downhills. :)

I'd be content with a v20 and any Silvio with v20 front end. Bring on the upgrade option ;)