Assault on Mt. Mitchell - 2015

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The week of fun isn't over yet.

Reminder tomorrow is the The Assault on Mt Mitchell. 6:30am the "fun" begins.

I know Larry's riding; anyone else got the tally sheet of the foo.... err brave riders?

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
The fun never stops, go get 'em T E A M .. C R U Z B I K E ! !

cheerleading-pom-pons_2111.gif

slide_249995_1506676_free.gif

Last edited:

ratz

Now there's a relentless climb; telemetry no longer says "Live" so they are either done or his computer is toast.

Screen Shot 2015-05-18 at 11.11.58 AM.png

ratz

Update from Larry on the bus ride back down.

"Hello everyone,I finished (103 miles) in 6th 40 mins. It was a bad day for me. I am ok, did not wreck or anything, I just did not have very much energy, could not generate normal power when the big hills started (like I bonked or something) and did not perform well. Foggy and rainy at the finish.

Ben killed it in 6:23 I think (or maybe 6:17, or 6:27)- either way a record!, and Maria was 6:58 - her personal best!

We are on our 2 hour bus ride down to Marion now as I write this at 2pm."

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Holy Cow, great job guys and gal! Pretty darn good for a bonk Larry. I'm curious as to the recumbent record. I'm guessing both male and female just saw a reset? This is turning out to be a great year for Cruzbike.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Thanks Bob, for the "Larry" update. Looking forward to reading the full story. Congratulations to everyone including support.

Even when Larry "bonks" it still very impress. Wish I could ride with as much power as Larry bonk-power.

Holy Cow, great job guys and gal! Pretty darn good for a bonk Larry. I'm curious as to the recumbent record. I'm guessing both male and female just saw a reset? This is turning out to be a great year for Cruzbike.
According to their post on FaceBook both the Women's and Men's recumbent records fell to our intrepid Cruzbike trio. Ben bested the record by 16 minutes and Maria by 27. And even bonking, Larry was just a minute shy of the old record . Hail the conquering heroes!

ratz

Even when Larry "bonks" it still very impress. Wish I could ride with as much power as Larry bonk-power.

Least it be lost in the telling. Larry road the darn climb 8 days ago; just to make sure his gearing was good enough to make it. move that out to say 14 days before; and it might have been a sprint finish.

Congrats to all.

Besides having multiple different people take home first place means even more; than having 1 ace.

I aspire to be nearly as good as Larry bad performance! :D (And believe me when I tell you, that's already a completely unrealistic goal for me.)
Report from 2016 Assault on Mt Mitchell: Larry OZ repeated his 2015 time but this time towing Charles Plager in a trailer allowing Charles to match Larry's time. Cruzbike riders work together whenever they get the chance.

jond

Zen MBB Master
go team cruzbike. be safe. be inspired and
Least it be lost in the telling. Larry road the darn climb 8 days ago; just to make sure his gearing was good enough to make it. move that out to say 14 days before; and it might have been a sprint finish.

Congrats to all.

Besides having multiple different people take home first place means even more; than having 1 ace.
yes carrying for the week some 340klm into the ride may have had something to do with it. residual fatigue... or just a bad day. no matter larry is a champion for finishing so close. great performances from ben maria and larry. awesome effort. and a great learning experience.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Man that road surface looks really nice. You should see the crap we have around here.

Congrats to the Cruzbike team. Larry you're one fast, crazy, masochistic dude. ;)

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Thanks everyone for all the comments. I am so tired - way more tired than I was after my 264 miles at Calvins 12hour 2 weeks ago.
(Jon may be right: My pre-assualt on Mitchell a week ago and all my "crank length" testing last week was not the best plan.)
I will write up my ride report (I promised shorter this time) in a couple days.
New all time high speed I think was 54mph
I also "think" that I recorded the whole ride on my VIRB. I will try and process it and post it also whenever I can..
Again: Congrats to Maria and Ben to setting new recumbent records for this ride! Amazing!
The Cruzbike "team" continues to make headlines: The "team" is everyone who owns a Cruzbike by the way !

Challenge: Everyone with a Cruzbike needs to go after a UMCA recumbent record in their state. N-S, E-W, TT, timed, distance, whatever. Pick the one you think you can do and go for it! Just like Lief just did!
I will be attempting a UMCA Century on Oct 10, using the course that Maria set all her records on.
I think I need to start a new thread for this - stay tuned.

Alan W Dolbeer

Well done Team Cruzbike!
Just an observation but Maria used a different wheelset for Mt Mitchell than Calvin's challenge. Ben may have used the same wheels as at Calvins I but am not sure. Did not see a pic yet of Larry's bike on the course at Mt Mitchell but I seem to recall he used 85mm deep CF wheels at Calvins.

ratz

Well done Team Cruzbike!
Just an observation but Maria used a different wheelset for Mt Mitchell than Calvin's challenge. Ben may have used the same wheels as at Calvins I but am not sure. Did not see a pic yet of Larry's bike on the course at Mt Mitchell but I seem to recall he used 85mm deep CF wheels at Calvins.
Picture from the hotel room was the 85mm "Cruzbike" Grahpiced.wheels.