Assault on Mt. Mitchell - 2015

Alan W Dolbeer

A very cool wheelset to be sure! ( only deep CF wheelset I have ever seen with the Cruzbike logo). However, many competitors may carry more than one wheelset to events and they can be swapped out reasonably quickly. That is why I mentioned not seeing a pic on the course. Anyway, just curious about the decision process Maria, Ben, and Larry went thru for their choice of wheels for this event vs Calvins.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Correct - Mine of the 88's that I have the Cruzbike Vendetta logo on.
I think Maria used the stock CB wheelset.
Ben had some 58's I think.
Did not see a pic yet of Larry's bike on the course at Mt Mitchell but I seem to recall he used 85mm deep CF wheels at Calvins.
I'm obviously not at photogenic as Maria or Ben, so no pics of me! haha, but yes, same set-up at Calvins. Might not have been the best choice, but they "look" so cool!

Alan W Dolbeer

Larry,

If my wheels ( and whole bike) were the weight of helium it would take me at least 8 hours to ride Assault on Mt Mitchell. I am sure some pics will surface. (-; Again congrats on another great ride. And thanks for the info on everyones wheels.

BentAero

Once again I'm pleased to say how proud I am of Maria, Ben, and Larry. You three crushed it!

So bummed I wasn't able to be with you while you raced 'just down the block'.

Challenge: Everyone with a Cruzbike needs to go after a UMCA recumbent record in their state. N-S, E-W, TT, timed, distance, whatever. Pick the one you think you can do and go for it! Just like Lief just did!
I will be attempting a UMCA Century on Oct 10, using the course that Maria set all her records on.
I think I need to start a new thread for this - stay tuned.

Whew - tall order at the moment. Longest ride ever is only 85 miles, and I ate lunch and had a nap in the middle (it was 96 degrees outside at that point) :)

LarryOz

Whew - tall order at the moment. Longest ride ever is only 85 miles, and I ate lunch and had a nap in the middle (it was 96 degrees outside at that point)
Plan something later in the year - something to train for and look forward to - Wait for the heat to subside!

Suz

Challenge: Everyone with a Cruzbike needs to go after a UMCA recumbent record in their state. N-S, E-W, TT, timed, distance, whatever. Pick the one you think you can do and go for it! Just like Lief just did!
I will be attempting a UMCA Century on Oct 10, using the course that Maria set all her records on.
I think I need to start a new thread for this - stay tuned

I opened the website Larry. That's all the further that challenge is going for this newbie.

Plan something later in the year - something to train for and look forward to - Wait for the heat to subside!
Riding the Tour de Tahoe to raise money for the JDRF in mid-September. Goal is to finish safely and enjoy the ride. Whatever time it takes, it takes.

CoachJV

Now there's a relentless climb; telemetry no longer says "Live" so they are either done or his computer is toast.

View attachment 362

A great ride by all at AOMM!

Keep in mind that most Garmins, even when connected to powermeters, do not report accurate energy values (KJ, or Kcal estimate). They report an estimate that is usually over twice reality. If you take the power data from the Garmin and analyse it in good software you can see the truth. So for anyone who looks at the Garmin numbers to figure out how many calories to take in on a ride or after, this can mess you up.

I had actually looked at the BikeMS event in October in these parts last year. I was still riding DF bikes (eeeeeeeewwwww), and couldn't imagine how I'd fight through the wrist pain to complete it.
I'll feel better committing to something once I have more miles in - I did just get the bike Friday. Planning on at least a half-cent if the weather (and work) holds this weekend.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I'll feel better committing to something once I have more miles in - I did just get the bike Friday. Planning on at least a half-cent if the weather (and work) holds this weekend.

It'll come; last summer Mrs Ratz tired at 25 miles wiped out by a 52 miler. This spring finished a metric century and was muttering that the ride was too short.

Last edited:

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I'm planning on a few various events this summer: National 24-hour Challenge (400 to 500 miles), MSU Gran Fondo (80 miles for charity), Covered Bridge Bike Tour (100 miles), Holland Hundred (100 miles), Coast Guard Festival (100 miles), ODRAM (150 miles), Ride United Lakeshore Tour (100 miles), and Colorburst Tour (100 miles) on my V. The Volae carbon seat and Ventisit pad are amazingly comfortable - my butt can't tell the difference between when I start a 100-mile ride and when I'm finished - on Michigan roads, no less! Long distance never felt so good. I thought I was done with long distance forever until I got my V this spring. Now I'm back in the saddle (literally!).

jond

Zen MBB Master
d
A great ride by all at AOMM!

Keep in mind that most Garmins, even when connected to powermeters, do not report accurate energy values (KJ, or Kcal estimate). They report an estimate that is usually over twice reality. If you take the power data from the Garmin and analyse it in good software you can see the truth. So for anyone who looks at the Garmin numbers to figure out how many calories to take in on a ride or after, this can mess you up.
does this mean i cannot eat a hot dinner every three hours on a long ride anymore.......nooooooooooooo seriously my aim is to try and maintain my weight really difficult if over 30 deg c. on longer rides of 300klm or more. heck i had better get out and do one again soon :)

LarryOz

I really like those wheels - might not have been the "best" choice for steep grades, but they look so good just sitting there!

For anyone interested, here is my "ride report" on Dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3kwbs7skhm3gnx/2015 AOMM ride report LarryO.pdf?dl=0

BTW: I did capture video of the entire OAMM ride on my VIRB and will hopefully have an "interactive" ride report posted in a few days with some great footage! :)
Will, Jim Parker's son also captured some great "support" footage with my other VIRB mounted on his shoulder.
Stay tuned.

I really like those wheels - might not have been the "best" choice for steep grades, but they look so good just sitting there!

For anyone interested, here is my "ride report" on Dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3kwbs7skhm3gnx/2015 AOMM ride report LarryO.pdf?dl=0

BTW: I did capture video of the entire OAMM ride on my VIRB and will hopefully have an "interactive" ride report posted in a few days with some great footage! :)
Will, Jim Parker's son also captured some great "support" footage with my other VIRB mounted on his shoulder.
Stay tuned.
Thanks for sharing the recap Larry and congrats again on your amazing performance in spite of it being less than you hoped. It was still incredible.