At last, the first ride on my Silvio 2.0

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Length and type of adjustment

Hi Ivan,

I'm talking about adjusting from my 39.5" x-seam to someone with a 46" x-seam or more.

In your arrangement, the effective housing length will still change, because the upper cable stop for the housing is positioned by the upper slider, and the derailleur stalk is effectively attached to the lower slider tube.

If you move the upper and lower sliders together, this is no issue. If the upper and lower slider positions are adjusted separately, your FD will go out of adjustment.

Best,

Doug

Ivan

Guru
Still Works

Though my upper and lower sliders are moving independently, my effective internal cable length is not changing because I am running the cable housing from cable stop to cable stop (from hole in dérailleur stalk to cable adjuster on upper boom). Thus when the distance between these two cable stops shortens, the cable housing becomes more loopy, but the internal cable length stays pretty much the same. The analogy I would make is to the "rear" derailleur on any bike cos the cable housing runs from cable stop on chainstay to cable stop/adjuster on dérailleur itself. The rear derailleur constantly moves, but the effective internal cable length remains the same because the cable housing just makes bigger/smaller loops.

Therefore, I am suggesting that a Silvio can have the cable housing set for the tallest person that will ride it, then when the boom is shortened for the shortest person, the FD cble housing will make a bigger loop but the effective internal cable length would remain the same. One just has to ensure that the longer loop not get in the way of the chainrings and pedals.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
ah ha, you are using the hole

ah ha, you are using the hole in the BB clamping bracket as a cable stop. But what did you use to stop the housing sliding through, its a 7mm hole and the housing slides through?

Jeremy S

Dude
A man on a bike

IMG_5644.jpg

IMG_5647.jpg

IMG_5654.jpg
IMG_5660.jpg
IMG_5661.jpg
IMG_5681.jpg

IMG_5691(1).jpg height:758px;

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Jeremy be stylin' -

Jeremy be stylin' - woot!

John, you should use some of Jeremy's and Ivan's pics in the Silvio bike section and dump those old ones.

-Eric

Ivan

Guru
John, yes the housing slides

John, yes the housing slides through the hole in the BB clamping bracket, but when you put a ferrule on the end of the housing, it stops! I assumed that was by design as it fits so neatly and firmly. Since one end had this cable stop, I thought I should use the braze-on barrel adjuster as the other stop (no ferrule). Setting it up this ways therefore allows me to move lower/upper boom with minimal or no FD adjustments. I think it's a good way to setup for those of us who want to make leg length adjustments during our first few weeks of learning the Silvio.

Nice pics Jeremy!

Jeremy S

Dude
Ivan, my ferrule went right

Ivan, my ferrule went right through that hole. I think you must have an oversized ferrule or an undersized hole. In any case, it seems to have worked out well for you.

IMG_5702.jpg

Last edited:

Jeremy S

Dude
Mummy-wrapped handlebars and

Mummy-wrapped handlebars and dead-simple front light installation. I hope the white bar tape becomes a little less bright:

IMG_5706.jpg

Nothing fancy here, I was just surprised how easy it was to install a basic headlight on the boom:

IMG_5707.jpg

Taillight is clipped onto the headrest pocket, I hope it stays there:

IMG_5708.jpg

Last edited:
I'm curious about the front

I'm curious about the front suspension pump. I'd rather not have to carry two pumps with me when I go long distances. Could the suspension pump be used to pump up the tires as well?

Jeremy S

Dude
Elliot, I found this product

Elliot, I found this product page:

http://kssuspension.com/products/accessories/air-8-hi-pressure-shock-pump/

If the shock pump uses a Schrader valve, maybe a Presta adapter would let you pump the tires with it, not sure...

Ivan

Guru
FD cable and ferrule

Jeremy, interesting about your ferrule. Maybe I used the brake cable ferrule (slightly wider diameter) to get it to stay there. I can't remember but I am sure the holes would be the same size. Future 2.0 owners may want to play around with different possibilities.

Jeremy S

Dude
After my scolding from John,

After my scolding from John, taillight mounting #2, stable but off center (and still dead simple):

IMG_5709.jpg  width:667px

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
no point blinding the ants...

That' funny.

Why not get a second Cateye tail lamp and balance the symmetry? Besides, two lights are better than one.

Jeremy S

Dude
Sounds like a smart idea

Sounds like a smart idea Andrew, but my inner minimalist may prevent me. Another thought is to put a passive reflector on the other side.

BentBierz

Jeremy,
Minor detail and

Jeremy,

Minor detail and probably doesn't make a big difference but (not knowing where you live) living in America and riding on the right side of the road, I am going to favor the left side of my bike for attaching my light, right side for the left side driving folks.

Jeremy S

Dude
Larry, after reading your

Larry, after reading your comment I just switched it to the left side... I didn't expect this much feedback on the taillight mounting! But I asked for it by posting a photo, didn't I.