At last, the first ride on my Silvio 2.0

Jeremy S

Dude
Just took a leisurely ride

Just took a leisurely ride partway down the Minuteman Bikeway. I meant to go a bit farther, but I noticed my front shock was bottoming out. Uh oh.

A couple from the road (pardon my cellphone camera):

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

Last edited:

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
nice bike and backdrop

This looks like the kind of place I would like to ride. Your Silvio looks great and I can see you are really enjoying it.

Jeremy S

Dude
Thanks Andrew. I'm trying to

Thanks Andrew. I'm trying to retrace my old routes on the new bike. Next up is the Boston Esplanade, along the Charles River. It's a nice scenic ride on the water, but a bit hard to get to from my current apartment.

A few impressions from today's ride:

The Silvio seems easier to push off and get started on than my old Sofrider, if I'm sitting up. Many aspects of the geometry are different (even my cranks are longer) and I guess they add up to some improvement here. Maybe the reduced weight helps.

I was just getting comfortable in the seat toward the end of my ride, which I think bodes well for the future.

I got some positive comments, including one excited neighbor calling down from his porch. But, I'm used to that from my Sofrider. Cruzbikes may not be so good for shy people...

There were a few issues, namely the shock went flat (I'll be watching it on future rides...), RD shifting wasn't always perfect (will try additional tuning if issues persist), and my cables are too long (housings can be an annoyance while pedaling). These should get cleared up with time and overall it was smooth sailing.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
shock going flat

Jeremy, I had a similar issue on my Silvio and I wasn't sure if it was user error or what, but one time I decided to pump it up to 200 psi and from then on, it hasn't gone flat on me. I did bleed the air once and an brought it back to 150 psi, where it remains quite constant. About the cable rub, it is annoying, isn't it? But it's the price to pay while getting everything dialed in just right.

Jeremy S

Dude
Today I rode through the

Today I rode through the fairly busy urban areas of Davis Square, Somerville, and Harvard Square, Cambridge. I was forced to ride through a gravelly construction area in Harvard. The construction guys cheered me on! Finally I made it to the Charles River and cruised along the esplanade. It was bumpier than I remembered, so maybe the Silvio suspension isn't quite as robust as the Sofrider suspension was. It was also quite crowded with pedestrians. I guess I picked too nice a day!

The anxiety I used to have on the Sofrider about slow speed maneuvering and starts in traffic is pretty much gone on the Silvio. If I sit up straight in the seat, I have excellent control at very low speed, about as good as on my DF.

My front shock is still looking flat after going over a few bumps, even after trying Andrew's suggestion of pumping to 200 psi. Seems there are many threads on this topic, for example this one where Doug suggests inspecting and oiling the valve core:
http://cruzbike.com/silvio-air-shock-retain-pressure

Or this one where someone suggests oiling the "shock slider":
http://cruzbike.com/front-shock-question

And also suggestions that I may not be removing the pump properly and leaking too much air. A few things to think about.

3WHELZ

Guru
Schrader Valve Replacement

Last week, I had noticed slow leak from the Schrader valve. It was an easy job to replace the valve, eliminating the leak. You can purchase a kit that includes the extraction/install tool and new valves at your local automotive store. It is an inexpensive purchase.

Also, I too discovered that when I first used the supplied high pressure pump, I was disconnecting it incorrectly resulting in the shock deflating. John had provided me information on how to properly remove the pump, which I had missed on packaging. I have since switched to another pump that I found easier to use.

Hope this helps.

Ivan

Guru
I followed the forum

I followed the forum instructions for detaching the front suspension pump and have not had any problems. There is no hiss of air when disconnecting the pump. After two weeks I checked the pressure and it was still the 150psi I had set it at.

Jeremy S

Dude
Today I completely failed at

Today I completely failed at my first attempt to ride with new SPD pedals and shoes. I could not clip in reliably. I fiddled with the tension adjustment on the pedals until I seem to have stripped the head of one of the adjustment bolts, and worn down two hex keys. A frustrating day.

georgec

You might want to try the Crank Bros Candy 1

FWIW, I experimented with various Shimano SPD pedals and ended up feeling like the clip force was overkill. So I went with Crank Brothers Candy 1 Mountain Bike Pedals. I have used the Candy 1's this summer with Keen Men's Commuter III Cycling Shoes and I'm a happy camper. And, I have only fallen over a few times.

Jeremy S

Dude
George, I just invested a

George, I just invested a bunch of money in these pedals so hoping not to buy something else, but that is something to think about, thanks.

Your profile says you're in Boston, I've never seen another Cruzbike around here! If you don't mind my asking, where do you ride?

Ivan

Guru
Hi Jeremy. Stripped the

Hi Jeremy. Stripped the adjustment bolts? They should be really light to turn and hardly require much force. Loosen them (counter-clockwise) all the way and they should be quite loose. If you have old cleats, use them as they will be even looser. Did you get the SPD A630's in the end, or something else?

I started Silvio riding with my SPD's in the loosest position. I have turned it tighter 2-3 notches now and am quite happy.

Jeremy S

Dude
Ivan, I did get A600's, and

Ivan, I did get A600's, and the adjustment bolts were not light to turn! They turn in discrete steps and are actually quite stiff on each step. My 3mm hex key kept jumping out of the bolt, and eventually wore to the point where it turns in the bolt head without turning the bolt!

Ivan

Guru
Hmmm...that does not sound

Hmmm...that does not sound like my A600 pedals and I have 2 sets now on 2 bikes. I have previously had 2 other types of SPD pedals A530 and a very old one I can't remember. All turn in discrete steps but are not difficult to turn. None were difficult to adjust as you mention.

Jeremy S

Dude
Bought a new hex key, reset

Bought a new hex key, reset the pedal tension to the minimum, and finally managed to clip in (and out) several times while sitting still. Seems I need to hook the front part of the cleat onto the pedal by feel, then push hard, forward and upward, to get the back part to snap in. Before I was just pushing forward, not upward... Unclipping is also a bit violent, even at the lowest tension. Now to see if I can do this on the road!

I did some Googling and read that SPD pedals may be harder to clip into than other designs (as George suggested). A coworker had told me the opposite. I do want the convenience of a recessed cleat, so I'm hoping this works out.

Jeremy S

Dude
Thanks for sharing your

Thanks for sharing your experience, Charles. Seems it went well for you. Are you still using SPD pedals?

BBL

Maybe a little grease will help

Jeremy ....
I use SPD pedals too. I have noticed that when new, they are a little stiff. I like them better when they have a little wear. As a matter of fact, if I sell a bike, I buy new pedals to sell and keep the old. My experience is that a little bicycle grease (I would avoid anti-seize grease for this application) helps. It doesn't take much. Apply some with a stiff brush on the back side of the pedal clip, near the spring where the shoe cleat clips into the pedal and some on the cleat on your shoe. And make sure you don't walk across your carpets for awhile. Soon the pedals will loosen up, but in the meantime, I found that this has helped me with new SPD pedals. Hope this helps you.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Jeremy,
Yes, I'm still

Hi Jeremy,

Yes, I'm still using the same dual sided SPD/platform pedals (I have two pair - one for my Sofrider and one for my Mantis).

When I first tried to clip the shoe into the pedal with my hands, I failed. It really took repeated practice (with my feet) before I was able to clip in and out.

Almost 3,000 miles later, I've only fallen twice due to being clipped in. Both times when I was climbing really steep hills (the first time, I didn't mean to clip in but accidentally did; the second time I was quite tired and just kind of fell over).

Cheers,
Charles

I use Shimano's SPD-SL road

I use Shimano's SPD-SL road pedals. These work GREAT on the Quest because when I am not clipped in they sit a an easy angle to clip in to.

Jeremy S

Dude
Water bottle fail

I had my first actual clipped-in ride today, and I think it went pretty well. I think I will have to move the pedals a bit farther out (I guess the cleated sandals are thicker than my regular sandals) and perhaps tweak the cleat position. At intersections, I found that it worked well to only unclip my left foot and keep my right foot ready to restart the bike. After starting with the right foot, I was often able to clip the left foot back in on the first stroke or two.

I did have one mishap, though. I reached the turn around point in my ride, and got off to drink some water. My water bottle was gone! I retraced my route and never found it. I guess my water bottle holder is too horizontal, or not tight enough to hold the bottle. I should never underestimate the violence of the bumps around here!

IMG_5768-2.jpg

Last edited: