At last, the first ride on my Silvio 2.0

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
bottle cages for under seat applications

Jeremy,

For under seat applications those zefel cages are sub optimal as you just found out.

I've been using lezyne flow hp cages on my Catrike 700. Bottles mounted under the seat (and mine are mounted upside down at a 10 degree decline. 1800 miles and haven't lost a bottle yet. And they are cheap $9.99 here's the link for a black one that will look nice on a your ride.

http://www.lezyne.com/en/products/bottle-cages/bottle-cages#!flow-cage

Ivan

Guru
I wrap small pieces of Velcro

I wrap small pieces of Velcro around each of my Zefal underwear bottle cages. This allows me to control how tight I want the bottles. I have lost bottles before and they are expensive so I don't want to lose more unnecessarily!

i agree however that the Lezyne design would be better.

Jeremy S

Dude
Hm, I was thinking about a

Hm, I was thinking about a sturdy rubber band, but a velcro strip should work similarly, and that Lezyne cage also looks pretty cool... Thanks.

Jeremy S

Dude
Happy to report that the

Happy to report that the combination of Lezyne "Flow Cage" and Camelbak "Podium Big Chill" bottle worked well.

Jeremy S

Dude
Hi Shelley, first of all, it

Hi Shelley, first of all, it sounds to me like your shifter lever broke. I have SRAM shifters, not Shimano, but when I have not been able to shift down, the lever has been tight, not slack as you described.

FYI, the problem with my setup was too much cable tension, introduced by a cable tie that the bike shop put on. Lots of cable tension holds the shifter in the larger gear. While there was too much tension, the shift lever did not move when I pushed on it (SRAM shifters only have one lever).

Also FYI, others have reported that their boom and slider have moved while riding (under heavy pedaling load), which can increase the FD cable tension (since the FD cable runs down the boom) and cause the FD to shift up. You might check that your boom is staying where you adjusted it to.

catksills_crank

FD shift problems

I was reading about Jeremy's problem of the front deraileur "only being able to shift up" when first building his Silvio. It sounds like he resolved that. I may be having a similar problem so I thought I'd ask here.

Background: I'm just a few weeks getting acquainted with a Silvio 1.5 that I purchased from ebay. Shimano Ultegra Crankset 52/42/30. ST6510 brake-shifters.

The Silvio was shipped in a large box, only partially diassembled by the prior owner. I put the seat, handlebars, and wheels on; tweaked the derailleur cables a bit, and was soon on the road. The good: I was wobbling around soon after opening the box, all gears shifting fine. The bad: Haven't not built the bike from scratch (nor any other bike), I'm really ignorant of the components I'm dealing with. Trying to catch up.

This is my first recumbent, and first time using combination brake/shift levers. My bike of the past 12 years had an internal gear hub, mtb style gripshifters, and no fuss brake levers. Except for killing my wrists, neck and butt, it was low maintenance machine.

During my latest ride on the Silvio, I suddenly lost my ability to downshift from the FD large chainring. The little paddle that ought to take me down a chainring went slack. It remains completely slack now with no tension, no clicking sound. The main lever however still engages. The bike is in the stand for now as I fuss with mechanism and cable scour the web.

Some quick googling on 'shimano ultegra shifter problems' is showing me that popular as these are, they can be fussy and break quite often.

I don't know if my mechanism is broken, or if I just have to dismantle the shifter and recable... I'll hit the LBS this week should I not figure it out.

Given how incredibly helpful the CB community is, I thought it couldn't hurt to ask for some insight.

Thanks for any help.

Tuloose

Guru
Is the cable moving

Is the cable moving freely?
Loosen the little bolt that holds the cable to the FD.
The FD should now shift the chain to the smallest chain ring.
Grab the end of the cable and work the shifter with the other hand.
Does the cable move back & forth?
It could be a badly abraded cable or a kinked cable housing.
Also check the alignment of the FD.
It should sit parallel to the chain ring and the outside plate should be no more than 2 mm above the large chain ring.
Instructions for adjustment can be found online.