Atlantic Coast Epic Tour ride report

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Sadly, this won't be much of a ride report given the number of days spent. I'm just not that loquacious :)

Raw data:
http://ridewithgps.com/users/479802
Filter on "East Coast Epic Tour", and you'll find 54 days worth of GPS traces.

Impressions:
The Silvio S30 did wonderfully on this trip, consistently getting me to the day's destination well before anyone else. It was particularly good on the flats, and on the rollers. That isn't to say it wasn't good on the hills, but they're just more of an equalizer, since the aero advantage just doesn't matter as much there.

.. And what do I mean by good on the rollers?
Well, on many rollers I'd find myself nearly effortlessly half a hill ahead with each hill ridden. The Silvio S30 did such a better job coasting and maintaining its energy that I'd get up to the top of the next hill with only a few pedal strokes whereas they folks on the regular bikes would be pedaling up 2/3rds of the hill.

There were a few days of biking-in-the-rain. The Silvio did fine in the rain. There was one little issue though, which (after searching) has been pointed out elsewhere. The hydroformed part of the frame collects water when it is raining. I'd guesstimate (from the size of the puddle when you upend the bike) that it was holding around 12 oz of water. The Cruzbike folks really need to put a weep-hole into the frame to prevent this for those of us who ride in the rain.

I was *way* *WAY* more comfortable than the regular diamond-frame riders.

My two outer fingers hurt at the end of most days. I need to redo my (bullhorn-style) bars to help prevent this by making tilting the bullhorns up more to relieve some stress on those fingers.

A cruddy road surface is *really* noticable. So, basically biking in any of the Carolinas, or most of Ga and FL was far slower than it'd be on a reasonable road surface. And by bad surface I mean something like "Dragon Scales," if you know what I mean.

After a while I couldn't tell when I was going up vs going flat vs going down except by how hard I felt I was pushing. There were a few times I thought I was going slightly downhill or flat and was actually going up a fair bit. I managed 17mph sustained on one of these hills, and didn't realize it 'till I crested and started going 22+. Oops :)

Other trip highlights:
A guy on a Bachetta high-racer past me as I was noodling along slowly (something I did often so I could be at least *somewhat* social with the others of the tour). He seemed to be pushing it. I had no problem whatsoever catching up and passing him.

A guy (without a helmet) on one of the bike trails along a river in Philly passed me and appeared to scoff at me.
I caught up to him, passed him, let him onto my rear wheel, and then slowly accelerated until he was a spec in the rear mirror. Satisfying.

I repeatedly hit 50+ mph going down hills, with a top speed of 54.5mph on this trip.

I had literally hundreds of people wave at me, stare at me, or shout "Nice Bike!" or equivalent. There were busses of schoolchildren who pasted their faces on the windows to get a better look at the bike as either I passed the busses, or they passed me.

One of the girls on the tour complained that normally everyone looked at her when she was biking with folks, but when I was riding with her *everyone* was looking at my bike and me instead. This was particularly hilarious to me.

A couple of us (counting me) accidentally got onto a (wet, not really technical) single track. I was able to ride most of it without dismounting (not counting needing to portage across a couple of streams), whereas my diamond-frame riding partner had to dismount three times.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Fun read. Lot of miles in a short period of time. I'm impressed and it sounds like you had a blast.

-Eric

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Certainly did have loads of fun!
I still can't believe the amount of attention the bike received on the trip. It had me embarrassed (not to be riding it, but from a wealth of positive attention) a little bit!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
When you left you were but a learner and now you are a master....

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
OH and a couple of other trip highlights:
We took a number of ferries. One of them had no observation deck in which to sit.
So, I sat on the bike.
... until, that is, I realized that I was *sleeping*on the bike while leaned against the ferry's side.

I nearly fell asleep following one of my slower riding companions. We were tooling along at ~14mph, and it felt so slow and relaxing, that I realized I was nearly sleeping.
I had pedal sitting up for a good 10 minutes in order to wake up again. I was very amused. Since when is it supposed to be so comfy?! :)

Cruzbike Chris

Great read, makes me want to get out and ride. Quick question for you, was this some kind of organized event? You said there were others riding as well. How did you find out about it and what made you decide to do it?

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
This was an ACA ride:
http://www.adventurecycling.org/
In particular it was:
http://www.adventurecycling.org/guided-tours/van-supported-tours/2015-atlantic-coast/

So, there were two "leaders," one of whom drove the van each day. The van had camping supplies, and food within, which allowed us to ride with not as much luggage as we'd have done if the tour was a self-supported one. We'd rotate cooking and cleaning duties amongst the group members (2 members cooked for the rest). There were 11 group members (two dropped out before the start, else it would have been 13) including the leaders. The group members were from completely different places-- we even had a couple of Aussies along!

Their blog is at:
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=15859

I found out about it by looking for routes that crossed the US. I figured the best and safest way to get my dad to do it too was to not require him to carry 100lbs of luggage on the bike, though he might be able to manage it now. The oldest member of the trip was 73. The second oldest was 72. These trips are totally doable.

I decided to do it because I've done a few tours in the Alps before, each of which had done good things for me, physically, while also being something I enjoyed (or at least didn't dislike). Those tours in the Alps were far more intense, however, and I didn't want to be so geographically far from my wife for various reasons, and so I decided to do a tour that was closer to home.

jond

Zen MBB Master
fantastic ride. truly inspiring. what did you cook up for the hungry group. :) what did the aussies cook up before the vote to eat out. ? how wonderful to be able to share such a ride with your dad. respect. 5000klm nice trip nice holiday. took a look at the cgoab report. nice. your whites would not have stayed that way so long.

Last edited:

Suz

I still can't believe the amount of attention the bike received on the trip. It had me embarrassed (not to be riding it, but from a wealth of positive attention) a little bit!
I found the same to be true! I was also uncomfortable with all the attention. People were genuinely interested and I liked talking about it but it became awkward that it dominated the conversation. Also because I'm not a strong rider, and just getting back into riding, I didn't want to give it a bad name. :) Looks like you put on a great show with it! Nice job. I have to say when we had flat days, I did surprise people.
I got my "Rocket Launcher" comment on a series of large rollers for the exact same reason you mentioned above. I could coast half way up the next hill and barely had to exert myself to the top. Fun! The guy I was riding with at the time was laughing, he said "one minute we were talking, the next minute you put on your rocket launchers and sailed down that hill". To be fair, I thought I said I was going to take off and I'd meet him at the water stop. Ha.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Wow! Really nice!

Quote: "The quick way to Florida City - Roberto Junior is way the quickest of us - youth or a very fast machine?"

Roberto

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
fantastic ride. truly inspiring. what did you cook up for the hungry group. :) what did the aussies cook up before the vote to eat out. ? how wonderful to be able to share such a ride with your dad. respect. 5000klm nice trip nice holiday. took a look at the cgoab report. nice. your whites would not have stayed that way so long.
I cooked a number of meals. I admit I also bought a few meals at restaurants for the group, when it made sense to do so.
One of the more popular meals included tunafish salad, corn on the cob, lima beans, salad, broccoli, chips & salsa, and other appetizers.