Axiom Journey 2429 Rack for Silvio 2.0

Tuloose

Guru
When I ordered my Silvio 2.0

When I ordered my Silvio 2.0 there was a rear rack on the accessories list.
I ordered the rack but a few days later Maria Parker called to tell me that the rack was for the 1.0 & 1.5 models and would not fit on the 2.0.
I was pretty disappointed about this as I planned to do some touring this next summer.
She said that Doug Burton was working on finding a rack that would fit but I haven't heard anything along those lines yet.
If you look at how laid back the seat is on the 2.0 I think you might come to the conclusion, as I have, that there is not sufficient room to get a rack in there.
I have been checking into the Extra Wheel, a light weight single wheel trailer that looks like a possible solution although it will only carry a single set of panniers.
Ivan and maybe a few others have been experimenting with Radical brand bags that hang under the seat.
I was thinking of strapping on my tent & sleeping pad under either side of the seat and then pulling an Extra Wheel as a possible solution.
My other idea is to build a touring Cruzbike from the conversion kit. The problem is in finding a suitable frame. I do not want a rear suspension bike as that limits the type of rack you can mount to ones that will not carry much weight.
I am going out tomorrow to our local bike co-op to see what they have lying around in their bone yard.

Hey Ray,  This isn't a rack,

Hey Ray,

This isn't a rack, but look at this thread and scroll down about 3/4 of the way to Noahvale's post. He's got a water and gear bag mounted behind the seat that might be what you need.

http://cruzbike.com/silvio-2.0-picture-thread

Looks like this is the bag

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/showers-pass-veleau-42-hydration-system

For extra gear storage, you could also mount a water bottle holder under the seat and put a tennis ball can in the water bottle holder.

Also, you might be able to mount a Bachetta Brain Box behind the seat, but you'd have to build the mount.

http://shop.bacchettabikes.com/brain-box.html

The Bachetta website says you can fit a 30-50 oz bladder in it, but it's just talking about one small compartment. I've crammed two 70 oz bladders in mine - enough for 100 miles in Texas in August.

Here's a mount I built

http://cruzbike.com/another-brain-box-mount-vendetta

and here's one that Eric Winn built

http://cruzbike.com/custom-mount-bracket-bachetta-brain-box-bag

-John

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Volume of brain box

What is the volume and weight carrying capacity of the brain box, and how much does it weight?

SS

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
550 cubic inches according to

550 cubic inches (about 9 liters) according to Bacchetta:

http://shop.bacchettabikes.com/accessories/bags/brain-box.html

It can hold a ton of crap and is easy to get carried away carrying a lot of excess weight.
tongue_smile.gif

Click each photo for a larger size.

Note the 12oz Pepsi can for scale.

-Eric

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Eric,
 what is the weight of

Eric,
what is the weight of the bag?

It looks bigger than I thought!
Thanks for the photos

Super Slim

Ivan

Guru
By strapping panniers to the

By strapping panniers to the frame or seat back, plus the Bachetta brain box, plus still available space under seat pan and in between wheels, there is a lot of storage that Silvio can accomplish. In fact, the Phil and Teds panniers I used can fit simultaneously where I places them in earlier pics AND under the seat pan hanging between the wheels. Thus I could have 4 panniers on my frame. One could also strap a narrow sleeping bag to the frame under the seat and hang bags off the seat (instead of the frame) over the sleeping bag. This has the effect of positioning the bags wider. The flexibility of positioning bags on either seat or frame produces a myriad of possibilities.

However it takes time to attach and detach these panniers with Velcro straps. A rack would really be nice. I for one would love a rack that is quickly and easily removable. I believe John has mentioned a Silvio 2 specific rack in the past but no confirmed news as yet.

Nice finds, Charles!   I'll

Nice finds, Charles! I'll bet those would work too. I like the first one better as it seems more adjustable.

Super Slim, I don't know what the exact weight is, but the BB is very light - it's just nylon fabric (strong though) plus a little bit of plastic so it holds shape. Its weight is insignificant compared to the stuff you put inside it.

Ivan, I agree with you - I prefer the capacity of the rack on my Silvio to the BB on my Vendetta, but the BB is plenty adequate, and in my opinion, looks nicer. Also, the bag on my Silvio is insulated, which helps keep my drinks cold. The BB is not.

This is the bag I have on the back of my Silvio 1.5: http://www.amazon.com/Axiom-Columbus-DLX-Trunk-Bag/dp/B004YIC0IO
It's nice. Plenty of storage in the main compartment, plus the sides fold down when extra storage is needed.

-John

Tuloose

Guru
This thread about adapting a

This thread about adapting a rear rack to a Silvio 2.0 reminds me of the old saying about the weather "Everybody talks about it but nobody does anything about it."
There are suggestions and musings about what should or what might work but to my knowledge no one has yet put a rack on a Silvio 2.0.
In other words, I'll believe it when I see it.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
There are suggestions and

There are suggestions and musings about what should or what might work but to my knowledge no one has yet put a rack on a Silvio 2.0.
In other words, I'll believe it when I see it.

Fair enough. Send me a Silvio V2 and I'll put a rack on it. :D

Jeremy S

Dude
Charles, I can see the top

Charles, I can see the top clamps on those racks maybe attaching to the headrest posts, but I cannot imagine where the lower supports could attach. Even if the geometry allowed these to attach to the rear wheel or seat stays (doesn't look likely), that would bridge the rear suspension which seems like a no-no.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Charles, I can see the top

Charles, I can see the top clamps on those racks maybe attaching to the headrest posts, but I cannot imagine where the lower supports could attach. Even if the geometry allowed these to attach to the rear wheel or seat stays (doesn't look likely), that would bridge the rear suspension which seems like a no-no.

I've done exactly that (bridging the suspension) on my Sofrider with my rack and I do recommend against doing that (I've undone it on my bike).

I'm imagining bending the upper arms down so they also attach to the seat stays (it comes with p-clamps).

For the lower arms, I would want to mount them as close to the axle as possible. If you have a rear disc brake, I can imagine mounting the rack slightly differently near the bottom on the right and left sides.

It is possible the other rack would work better.

My offer to mount a rack on any Silvio that gets sent to me stands. If you don't want to send me a Silvio, then at least taking close up pictures from both sides of the rear stays would help. :D

IMG_1951.JPG

Jeremy S

Dude
I'm imagining bending the

I'm imagining bending the upper arms down so they also attach to the seat stays (it comes with p-clamps).
Yes, some bending and I would imagine lengthening (or replacement) of the upper arms would be required or else the rack would be inside the rear wheel. And, you would end up adding unsprung weight, but I guess the same thing happens any time you add a rack to a conventional, unsuspended bike.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
 Two comments:
* I've seen

Two comments:

* I've seen Silvio racks before (on v1 bikes). In some cases the rack was not horizontal. You'll have to decide for yourself how problematic that would be.

* While I see why it might be nice to get the luggage suspended, as you point out, 90% of touring bikes are not suspended and do just fine.

Ivan

Guru
I don't think that the top

I don't think that the top clamp arms of Charles' first find would need to be bent to attach to the seat stays. Here's why: This low res pic I found appears to be same rack. It looks very suitable as it can be positioned further back and be adjusted so it's horizontal.

mAbFBkH0TdUmrrtC_M2Xxpg.jpg height:376px;

Charles' most recent find can't be adjusted for the angle so I think the first one is better.

Tuloose, my offer is better - just send me a rack and I'll reply back with tons of photos! :)

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Ivan,
Nice find on the

Hi Ivan,

Nice find on the picture. Notice that the bottom supports of the rack are done differently on the disc brake side and the other side.

Does look promising.

Cheers,
Charles

Jeremy S

Dude
Cool, looks like those arms

Cool, looks like those arms are designed to bend and extend. The next question in my mind is, how much clearance will you get between the rack and seat back? I guess if the goal is to hang bags off the sides of the rack, you don't need much.