Bar-end Shifters on a Silvio

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
I don't have a Silvio yet, but have already disassembled my road bike to scavenge parts. I plan to build a Silvio up with Shimano Ultegra 10-speed (c. 2006), Ultegra Brakes and Truvativ Rouleur crankset with Rotor rings (I believe they are 50 x34). I still need to purchase a wheelset, so that is open, but I have been thinking about the shifters. I am really interested in Microshift's bar-end/tt shifters. Has anyone equipped their Silvio with bar-end shifters? Does it work? What considerations are there?

Microshift Barends.jpg

http://www.microshift.biz/pviewitem1.asp?sn=694&area=51&cat=181#

Also, Microshift offers a clamp on shifter...

Microshift SL-A10.jpg height: 177px;

http://www.microshift.biz/pviewitem1.asp?sn=810&area=52&cat=176

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Point forward?

So that would mean a TT or "bullhorn" bar, correct? It looks great on the Vendetta, but how about the Silvio? Does it work?

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Tried it, didn't like it.

I still lust after bullhorns on my Silvio - still have my SRAM bar end shifters as a reminder.
It didn't work.

I didn't do any bar customization but no matter how I tried it the shifters were too far away for comfort, the brake levers had to clamp on sideways to avoid the cables from the shifters (massively goofy) and because of the TeleTopTube angle I have (no chainstay extender mind you) I couldn't bring the bars down low enough for an aero (or comfortable) setup.

I tried them for about 60 miles in about 3 configurations and scrapped it.
BUT...if you figure something out drop me a line. ;)

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Thanks for directing me to

Thanks for directing me to your post. http://cruzbike.com/sram-rival-rear-shifter-breakage

With the popularity of handlebars like the Origin 8 Gary that splay outward, I think that bar-end shifters might be a good choice as I would assume there would be reduced leg/shifter contact. Currently I have a 2006 set of Ultegra brifters that I am saving for the day I own a Silvio, but knowing that these bits can and do wear out, I am planning for a more affordable and reliable option.

I'm not sure how well a bullhorn bar would work on the Silvio; there are many options available and the process of buying and trying gets tedious and expensive unless you have access to the parts bin of the Gods.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Safety concern.

The main reason we don't care for bar end shifters in the traditional position on the Silvio is the possibility of spearing yourself in an accident. Also, they tend to fall in a position that takes your hands out of the power transfer position when shifting on a climb.

I like bar-end shifters for their simplicity and lack of expense while providing very good shifting precision and control.

Some folks have mounted them on Paul's Thumbie brackets ( virtually identical to the Microshift unit you pictured) but it's a bit challenging to route the cables in a reasonable way while keeping the levers ready-to-hand.

In the end, it's all about what works for you and sometimes you have to try things to figure this out to your liking.

Cheers,

Doug

georgec

Kinder Gentler Bar End Shifter

A Jtek bar end shifter (pix 1) came with the Shimano Nexus 8 geared hub that I bought for my Silvio. At the time,I read this post and I looked around for alternatives, but it seemed like the Jtek was the best shifter out there for the hub, and I don't really like twist shifters, which is what Shimano sells for the hub.

So I put the Jtek on the bike and rode for a month. But I got to say, looking at it and thinking about wiping out, it was real easy to imagine Mr. Jtek taking a bite out of my little ole leg.

So I made this rubber bumper on the end of the Jtek (pix 2) using 3M Scotch 2242 Linerless Electrical Rubber Tape.

This produced something like a slightly soft squash ball. Now I figure that when this little sucker has at my leg, it won't be able to do any more damage than the end of the bar can ;)

BTW, this tape is great to use when you want to build up thickness and produce a soft gripping or bumper surface than regular vinyl tape.

George

baov

I'm reviving this thread to know if bar end shifters are a safe option now with the new flared drops on the S30?

I also thought about getting the gevenalle retroshift brifters but it appears that the hoods are impossible to ride on a Silvio so that rules it out.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I have a Silvio2 with a single chainwheel. I like my bar-end-shifter. I am still experimenting with the configuration of the handlebars, but my shifter points forward and does not poke me. I do not have to move my hand very much. I recommend bar-end-shifters.

baov

How do they point forward ? Are you using a bullhorn bar?
Specifically I want to know if it's safe to use bar end on a flared drop bar.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
I have seen pictures of @trplay and LIEF ZIMMERMAN with bar end shifters on their Silvio. I am thinking of trying out bar-end shifters on a flared drop bar (On One Midge bar) for my home-build. How have you found them on your Silvio in terms of functionality and safety. Have they ever poked your legs? What if the bike accidentally falls, are they vulnerable?

I had bar end shifters on my S30 using bullhorn bars. The bend at the end was too obtuse; the grip was too horizontal. It was always uncomfortable and, more importantly, made for a weak connection between me and the handlebars. I highly recommend prioritizing a near vertical hand grip section. I too was looking towards an inverted flare drop bar setup. I think this could work very well.IMG_0405.JPG