BB face and chase?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Ok so the frame kit arrive; yeah.

On inspection the bottom bracket is painted all the way though. I am assuming that the rule still holds that I should get that chased and face by someone with the correct tools? That is one of those exotic tools I do not have in my kit.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Suppose I should as the

Suppose I should as the qualifier. I am assuming that is paint because there is a nick in the meant from shipping where you can see silver metal, but the finish is such than maybe this isn't really paint but some sort of anodized finish.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
It's anodized

The bottom bracket assembly on your Silvio is anodized. On other anodized frames I have seen, the threads have either been cut or chased after anodizing.

At any rate, it seems that it is good enough to install your BB cups in the shell as-is and that chasing and facing may not be at all necessary. I prefer to have the shells prepped properly, but that's just me.

noahvale

Chasing and facing is

Chasing and facing is recommended if the factory did not align the threads correctly. I would imagine that cutting the threads in the Silvio boom would be much easier than on a DF frame. The threads on my Silvio were smooth and the BB threaded in easily. I'm about to build up a conversion kit and I don't plan to chase or face.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Call me old-fashioned

In the old days of steel frames, there was always the chance of thread or bottom bracket distortion from the brazing process, excess brass or flux could foul the threads and paint had to be cleared of the threads and removed from the bottom bracket shell faces as a facing tool was used to unsure they were parallel. Things have certainly changed over the years and this process is apparently no longer necessary. I don't assume my LBS faces the BBs on all those fancy carbon fiber frames now...most of which have press-fit BBs anyway.

It's always good to learn!