BBB 2016

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Since I'm not much of a picture taker:
www.bikesbluesbayous.com

Also Facebook page: Bikes, Blues & Bayous. Video posted by BBB of today's 62mi start; at the 24-25 second mark note the Flintstoning Vendetta rider :eek:

At the start: a weirdo and his weird bike--

image.jpeg

A blazingly hot and humid day in the Mississippi Delta but a great ride. I hope castlerobber will give us her perspective!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 5

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I hope castlerobber will give us her perspective!

How about a two-for-one deal?

The ninth annual Bikes, Blues and Bayous ride in the Mississippi Delta town of Greenwood took place August 6. A record 947 riders from 17 states turned out for the flat, hot, humid event. More than 500 of those riders chose the metric century loop, while the rest rode out-and-back options of 46 miles, 20 miles, or 11 miles up the east side of the loop. Probably the main reason this ride grows every year, besides its quiet, flat course, is the excellent volunteer support, and the live blues performances at the start/finish area and the rest stops.

My almost 16-year-old son wanted to ride the 20-miler, while I opted for the 46-mile route.

20-mile route
Unlike last year, when my son insisted on riding his nearly-outgrown MTB and paid for it with aching knees and backside, he asked to use my Q507 instead of his new, larger bike. We started near the back of the pack, since his slow-speed handling skills were a bit rusty. He settled into a 13.5 mph pace after the first couple of miles, at which we steadily passed groups of DF riders all the way to the first rest stop/20-mile turnaround at Money. He was amazed at how easily the miles go by on a comfortable bike. :cool:

After downing some Gatorade at the rest stop, my boy headed back south, while I continued north. On the way back, he found a couple of "middle-aged nurses," as he put it, to ride behind for 6 or 7 miles. He claimed he wasn't drafting close, but he was near enough to overhear one of the ladies giving the other her meatloaf recipe. :D He finished the 10.4 mile return trip in about 41 minutes, according to his dad.

Duncan BBB 2016 crop.jpg

46-mile route
A quiet ride from Money to Minter City, with a few stretches of shade trees alternating with fields of corn "as high as an elephant's eye." At that point, the 46-milers were spread out over several miles, but I was still overtaking the occasional DF. A pack of 6 or 7 uprights, who had dawdled at the rest stop, blasted by as if to make up for lost time.

The Minter City Methodist Church put on their usual awesome rest stop at the 46-mile turnaround. Volunteers filling the riders' water bottles with ice; tables laid with crustless pimento-cheese and PB&J sandwiches, homemade cookies, and fruit, served on silver trays; seating in the shade, with huge box fans keeping everyone...well, not cool, but less hot. :p The little congregation was well prepared for nearly 800 riders, so all the lines moved along smoothly and pleasantly. Many of the faster 62-milers were there already (including @ReklinedRider), some of them looking a little wilted from 39 miles of heat and humidity.

There was a bit of a tailwind the four or five miles eastbound on the return leg. All too soon the route turned south...and just before the turn, here came that same pack of uprights that had passed me earlier. Not quite as fast this time, but around they went. The temperature by then was in the mid-80s, with humidity around 70%.

Additional volunteers had arrived at Money when I got there around 10:15 a.m., along with a fresh bluesman, and hundreds of iced-down 8-oz. glass bottles of Coke. One volunteer's sole job was to open the bottles for the riders; he kept up a steady stream of encouragement and humor all the while. Two groups of Tri-Fit Chicks (?) were negotiating over slowing their pace and joining forces for the last 10 miles, while the musician led the crowd in an impromptu blues version of "Happy Birthday" for a rider named Karen.

The final push back to Greenwood was strewn with riders whose "get up and go" had just about got up and went. Standing on the pedals stretching, shaking out sore hands, stretching tight shoulders. And with only about four or five miles to the finish, doggoned if that pack of uprights didn't pass me again...slowly...looking really uncomfortable. I latched onto the back and stayed with them until a mile or so from the finish; by then, they had slowed so much I had to pass them. :D

Here's to 1,000 riders next year!

blr finishing BBB 2016 crop.jpg

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Great write-up and great pics of your son on the Quest and you on the Silvio! Love the Yazoo River in the background.
For the non-Mississipians--The Yazoo is formed by the confluence of the Yalobusha and the Tallahatchie just north of the spot you see in @castlerobber's photo; for those old enough to know anything about late 1960's pop music, the Tallahatchie is the river into which Billy Joe McAllister jumped from the Tallahatchie Bridge (Ode to Billy Joe, by Bobbie Gentry). Some say they can sense Billy Joe's ghost along the Tallahatchie and Yazoo Rivers:eek::eek::eek: especially 'round the 3rd of June. I don't believe in ghosts but I ain't about to go fer a swim in them there mythical waters neither;)

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
High dollar: The Alluvian. Probably already booked up.
Medium: Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, Best Western
The true Delta experience: Tallahatchie Flats www.tallahatchieflats.com
Or stay a 30 minute drive out in Winona.
Packet pick up is Friday afternoon/evening in Greenwood at the Alluvian Hotel

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Da "Flats" would be pretty cool. Probably go for one of the standard hotels though. The Alluvian looks like something Miz Diane would appreciate...maybe I can talk her into driving! ;)

super slim

Zen MBB Master
How about a two-for-one deal?

The ninth annual Bikes, Blues and Bayous ride in the Mississippi Delta town of Greenwood took place August 6. A record 947 riders from 17 states turned out for the flat, hot, humid event. More than 500 of those riders chose the metric century loop, while the rest rode out-and-back options of 46 miles, 20 miles, or 11 miles up the east side of the loop. Probably the main reason this ride grows every year, besides its quiet, flat course, is the excellent volunteer support, and the live blues performances at the start/finish area and the rest stops.

My almost 16-year-old son wanted to ride the 20-miler, while I opted for the 46-mile route.

20-mile route
Unlike last year, when my son insisted on riding his nearly-outgrown MTB and paid for it with aching knees and backside, he asked to use my Q507 instead of his new, larger bike. We started near the back of the pack, since his slow-speed handling skills were a bit rusty. He settled into a 13.5 mph pace after the first couple of miles, at which we steadily passed groups of DF riders all the way to the first rest stop/20-mile turnaround at Money. He was amazed at how easily the miles go by on a comfortable bike. :cool:

After downing some Gatorade at the rest stop, my boy headed back south, while I continued north. On the way back, he found a couple of "middle-aged nurses," as he put it, to ride behind for 6 or 7 miles. He claimed he wasn't drafting close, but he was near enough to overhear one of the ladies giving the other her meatloaf recipe. :D He finished the 10.4 mile return trip in about 41 minutes, according to his dad.

View attachment 3028

46-mile route
A quiet ride from Money to Minter City, with a few stretches of shade trees alternating with fields of corn "as high as an elephant's eye." At that point, the 46-milers were spread out over several miles, but I was still overtaking the occasional DF. A pack of 6 or 7 uprights, who had dawdled at the rest stop, blasted by as if to make up for lost time.

The Minter City Methodist Church put on their usual awesome rest stop at the 46-mile turnaround. Volunteers filling the riders' water bottles with ice; tables laid with crustless pimento-cheese and PB&J sandwiches, homemade cookies, and fruit, served on silver trays; seating in the shade, with huge box fans keeping everyone...well, not cool, but less hot. :p The little congregation was well prepared for nearly 800 riders, so all the lines moved along smoothly and pleasantly. Many of the faster 62-milers were there already (including @ReklinedRider), some of them looking a little wilted from 39 miles of heat and humidity.

There was a bit of a tailwind the four or five miles eastbound on the return leg. All too soon the route turned south...and just before the turn, here came that same pack of uprights that had passed me earlier. Not quite as fast this time, but around they went. The temperature by then was in the mid-80s, with humidity around 70%.

Additional volunteers had arrived at Money when I got there around 10:15 a.m., along with a fresh bluesman, and hundreds of iced-down 8-oz. glass bottles of Coke. One volunteer's sole job was to open the bottles for the riders; he kept up a steady stream of encouragement and humor all the while. Two groups of Tri-Fit Chicks (?) were negotiating over slowing their pace and joining forces for the last 10 miles, while the musician led the crowd in an impromptu blues version of "Happy Birthday" for a rider named Karen.

The final push back to Greenwood was strewn with riders whose "get up and go" had just about got up and went. Standing on the pedals stretching, shaking out sore hands, stretching tight shoulders. And with only about four or five miles to the finish, doggoned if that pack of uprights didn't pass me again...slowly...looking really uncomfortable. I latched onto the back and stayed with them until a mile or so from the finish; by then, they had slowed so much I had to pass them. :D

Here's to 1,000 riders next year!

View attachment 3063
jim silvio.jpg
Is this your Silvio in this Photo, as the gentleman??? in the photo TRIED to say that he had been converted after riding 6 weeks with me, from Canada to Mexico on an ACA Pacific Coast tour?
The BB height gave it away?

Last edited:

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
I got it used, frameset only, from a gal in Virginia. I think she was the original owner but not positive about that.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Jim, (the Pretender!!!) lives in Memphis, so I thought it might have been you!!!
I have emailed him to find out where the photo was taken!