Beginners Pedaling Stroke

skipB

Looks like I am just going to have to go slower and take it easy (much easier said than done ). Thanks again for all the help guys . I will keep you all informed of the progress

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
We've all been there, and going slowly pays in the long run. Especially doing reps in learning, and later reps in skills building. Keep us posted on progress, and as stated earlier side pics by someone else of your bike and you riding may give us clues to assist.

DavidJL

I have been getting better at no-hands coasting, and can actually pedal at least gently no handed. I was using 175 cranks, but switched to 165's. Did the pedaling using clip-in shoes. Last week did three rides on DF bikes, and had no trouble switching back to the QX100. Definitely better to practice frequently in short sessions. Don't give up yet. It's really fun cornering on a Cruzbike.

Bill K

Guru
This might sound crazy (and it is). Just before you start to ride, think of the funniest joke you have ever heard. Then start laughing, out loud. Then start riding.
The idea is to break the tension, let your subconscious mind learn to ride while your conscious mind is slightly distracted by something relaxing.

Bill

Balor

Zen MBB Master
I will try to get some video of my riding . My biceps are killing me in a mile (ridden in quarter mile increments no less). I am twisting the the handlebars off the bike. And when this thing takes off to the right or left god luck saving it .. good thing I still have good knees. when trying to ride open handed palm only I find myself pushing my shoulders hard back into the seat . so hard in fact I have to stop because my shoulder ache.. But I am nothing if not tenacious . Ratz I have really taken all of the advice very seriously . I have been keeping the sessions relatively short just to build that set of skills slowly . I do better when I am looking up instead of in the cockpit but this is really taking time . you can be sure I won't be off my driveway for a good while

Try switching from pushing with quads to flexing the knees and 'scraping' the pedals.
This way you there is virtually no pedal feedback, so you can relax, but I doubt that you'll be able to ride like this for a long time for now, it takes training, but it is an essential skill for MBB.

Balor

Zen MBB Master
Also, I've bought powerlifting straps. I've just cycled 200k brevet, and my hands were really sore by the end of it.
I daresay they may come in real handy on 300+ brevets, at least until I've build up enough upper body stamina. Would be hilarious (actually, not) to DNF not due to leg, but due to arm fatigue :).
Actually, this is more dangerous, because when 'just' wasted you can at least crawl slowly, but when you cannot control your bike...

skipB

Ok update . Had a breakthrough this weekend . Rode in wobbly straight line for a quarter of a mile then down the block (about 200 yds ) to the elementary school parking lot and accomplished some figure eights. Since then one hour every evening (same route) with better confidence and I am following the sidewalks and figure eights . Remarkable that it just happened . I want to thank all the folks here for their encouragement and advice . It does work .

I have been learning on A Silvio. I can ride many miles but am still very shaky on starts and having a tough time with control on the hills. Especially this bridge I have to cross every day. I made it across today but was very wobbly. Pissed off a rider behind me. Oops! Maybe I will praise in the early AM when no one is awake. Probably should have been in a lower gear but I seem to have better control climbing in a higher gear and sitting up. I wish that I would have been able to ride a Quest first. The higher seat angle might have helped me to learn easier.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I have been learning on A Silvio. I can ride many miles but am still very shaky on starts and having a tough time with control on the hills. Especially this bridge I have to cross every day. I made it across today but was very wobbly. Pissed off a rider behind me. Oops! Maybe I will praise in the early AM when no one is awake. Probably should have been in a lower gear but I seem to have better control climbing in a higher gear and sitting up. I wish that I would have been able to ride a Quest first. The higher seat angle might have helped me to learn easier.

Hills, bridges, and starts have one thing in common. They tend to make people nervous that something will go wrong; nervous people tense up; and being tense on a MBB platform leads to a loss of stability. So the cliche answer is relax and enjoy the riding; let it come to you, make sure you aren't tensing up and complicating your efforts. And as aways when possible do more slow riding to practice and make it second nature, in addition to more skills that will let you relax more naturally.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I wish that I would have been able to ride a Quest first. The higher seat angle might have helped me to learn easier.
It's not that difficult to obtain a higher seat angle with either the Silvio or Vendetta, permanently or temporary.

Here is one idea: http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/h...for-silvio-or-vendetta-rick.8459/#post-120220 which simply uses blocks spaced under the seat shell.

...and another http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/silvio-seat.8550/

.......and another http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/my-adjustable-seat-testing.8060/

...some of these are replacing the seat altogether which can be costly, others idea are inexpensive.

There are other ideas floating around on the forum. Possibly the least expensive would be to take a piece of foam, and place it under the existing pad to prop up the upper back.

hoyden

higher seat angle might have helped me to learn easier.
I took a large beach towel, folded it lengthwise 5 times to create a 6" wide strip. I wrapped the towel around a 4" piece of foam and a folded bungee cord to create a towel cylinder about 10" in diameter that I bungeed to the head rest. Got plenty of upright with little effort and no expense.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Especially this bridge I have to cross every day. I made it across today but was very wobbly. Pissed off a rider behind me. Oops! Maybe I will practise in the early AM when no one is awake.
When I started riding a V, I had to cross a bridge with an MUP lane wide enough for one bike at a time. There are ruts to catch a wheel, narrow places that are very tricky, metal fencing that could take a cyclist down, and lots of vibration from traffic. The first time I crossed it, I had to walk it. Now, I regularly cross it at full speed with complete control and no fear as long as no one is coming from the opposite diection or getting in my way in the same direction, which both just slow me down. It just takes time, practice, and lots of patience.

Hills, bridges, and starts have one thing in common. They tend to make people nervous that something will go wrong; nervous people tense up; and being tense on a MBB platform leads to a loss of stability. So the cliche answer is relax and enjoy the riding; let it come to you, make sure you aren't tensing up and complicating your efforts. And as aways when possible do more slow riding to practice and make it second nature, in addition to more skills that will let you relax more naturally.
I know that I am tense. Overtime some comes towards me I start sweating because I am afraid that I will veer into them. Relaxing is getting better though, when I am alone, I can do it for longer periods of time. I keep plugging away at it. I realize that I need to go slower. I had a lot of skills on a DF bike and now I feel like a beginner again. It is hard to accept. I am doing much better at figure 8's and tight circles. thanks for the encouragement.

ratz

I know that I am tense. Overtime some comes towards me I start sweating because I am afraid that I will veer into them. Relaxing is getting better though, when I am alone, I can do it for longer periods of time. I keep plugging away at it. I realize that I need to go slower. I had a lot of skills on a DF bike and now I feel like a beginner again. It is hard to accept. I am doing much better at figure 8's and tight circles. thanks for the encouragement.

You are on a journey we all have travelled. I started coming from a life on DF's and a broken neck; Tense doesn't do justice to my first rides over the first many many miles. You practice and we'll yell positive thoughts

Road on the MUP today, just at a slow pace. Seemed like I was very steady today. Some wobbling at high cadence but better at a slower cadence. Practiced riding as close as possible to the grass line. Tried short periods at higher cadence, as I said not as steady. I am wondering if my leg length discrepancy could be causing this or do I just need to improve my technique. I did the climb up and over the bridge with only two wobbles.

1happyreader

zen/child method
wondering if my leg length discrepancy could be causing this or do I just need to improve my technique.
The MBB moving bottom bracket showed me just how over dominant my right side was.
? do you have one shoe ( not biking) built up so its higher for normal use ?
One more thing to worry about. sigh.
Sounds like your progressing, keep working on the technique , but it's likely your the expert on leg lenght.
Got a trainer ? that would eliminate a variable or two. while you figure things out.
later,,, bye

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Road on the MUP today, just at a slow pace. Seemed like I was very steady today. Some wobbling at high cadence but better at a slower cadence. Practiced riding as close as possible to the grass line. Tried short periods at higher cadence, as I said not as steady. I am wondering if my leg length discrepancy could be causing this or do I just need to improve my technique. I did the climb up and over the bridge with only two wobbles.
That sounds like progress to me. Are you clipped in yet? If so, can you offset the clips in your shoes to displace the leg discrepancy? If you aren't clipped yet, this may be a good time to start. It will help with wobbles and for better leg control. Everyone is different, but what really got me literately up to speed. Was long rides (not long like centuries, but long like 20 to 30 miles at a time for the first 100 to 200) in areas with little to no distractions like people, cars, dogs, and other riders, maybe a quite neighborhood, and then don't think about what you are doing right or wrong, let your natural learning abilities take control and think of other things like the surrounding landscapes, the up coming vacation, etc. And just remember it's not a steep learning curve and it's not hard to learn, it's just going to take patience, practice, and time (I know, that's what we keep saying, but it's true).

I have shims on my DF bike shoes. I am opt for MTB shoes on this bike (so I don't have to walk like a duck). I have ordered shims for the SPD shoes. I probably will get some new cleats as well. I am having a hard time clipping in but had the same problem on my MTB bike.

ratz

I have shims on my DF bike shoes. I am opt for MTB shoes on this bike (so I don't have to walk like a duck). I have ordered shims for the SPD shoes. I probably will get some new cleats as well. I am having a hard time clipping in but had the same problem on my MTB bike.
If you are new to MTB shoes an SPD in particular; there is an adjustment bolt to loose the spring tension on the pedal; they are rarely set equal or correct at the factory. The missing shim makes me all that much more impressed with the progress you've ben making.