Best rain jacket under $200?

Robert O

I'm trying to upgrade rain gear, looking for a waterproof jacket with a street price of under $200. I found a great deal on a Showers Pass Elite 2.0, but only in a small, and it turned out to be just a little too small even for me. What have people used and liked out there? Keep in mind, I'm looking at average winter temps in the 40 range, lots of drizzly gray days. Thanks!

Jerrye

Spam Slayer
My brother, who has ridden motorcycles for about 50 years, swears by Frogg Toggs. I have used mine in a storm and stayed completely dry. Not too expensive and easily packable in a small space. Not sure about insulating qualities though. Wait to see if anyone else has experience with these, or can make a better suggestion.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I have a pair of Frogg Toggs too but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. Interesting material and I think it will work quite well.

SamP

Guru
I've got an older version of the Marmot PreCip Rain Jacket. It's current MSRP is $100. My recollection is I got it on a sale at REI maybe a decade ago.

As for cold: layering! I've worn this jacket on warmer ski days with a fleece and thermal underwear underneath. Air temperature right about freezing so the outside got very wet (it's black) but I stayed dry underneath. I've worn it biking on below freezing days primarily as a windproof outer layer.

Robert O

Great input, keep it coming! I haven't had a chance to check out those options, but hopefully I can put some time into it this weekend. Thanks!

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I have a pair of Frogg Toggs too but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. Interesting material and I think it will work quite well.
I've got a cheap pair of frog toggs set ($20) that I finally wore out. They are somewhat breathable and do a pretty good job at keeping me dry. But the Syu I have don't have elastic at the bottom of the jacket or pants.

jond

Zen MBB Master
gore wear o2 jacket. yes i know it is expensive but it works very well. beware though slim fitting. works fine on recumbent despite DF fitting. very light and packable will fit in a med topeak wedge bag on the vendetta. warm and breathes well easy to regulate your temp and keeps out the weather. perfect for many days of inclement persistent light rain. best bit of kit i have right up there with assoss tf mille bib shorts for long distance DF. love the jacket so much i hang it up on it's own hanger :)

Robert O

I ended up with a size S Marmot PreCip (good call, SamP). All of the cycling specific jackets that I tried had extended sleeves for coverage in a DF tuck, great fit for an orangutan. The Marmot seems to have pretty good breathability, and it kept me dry in and out on a pretty wet hike up West Tiger Mountain last week.