Bike Parking at the office

Lief

Guru Schmuru
On a Strava post Rick commented on the FAT bike I have. I actually own 1/10th ($20...yes twenty) of it and it's parked here at work.

That made me think about our indoor bike parking - which I arranged with Management about 8 yrs ago - there was NO WAY I was locking my brand new Silvio up on the street 8 hours a day.

So I took a picture of the parking to share AND you can just see the rear end of the Vendetta poking out at the near-end...complete with new DIY rear wheel cover.
Which I haven't yet posted anything about yet...

Just a little something for today - enjoy.

IMG_7236.JPG

NOTE: I started this on my phone - and then logged into a desktop (iphone pics too big to upload and my resizer app wasn't working) and LO AND BEHOLD! the draft ^^up there^^ was retained when I clicked "Create Thread" on the desktop.
NICE Work to the team for picking and configuring such an awesome forum solution.

NEXT NOTE: I just emailed the picture to myself (phone to work account) and of course iPhone asks if I want to resize the picture in the email. derp!

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
draft ^^up there^^ was retained
That is a very coll feature of this forum. You can start a comment on a thread, and then surf to a different thread, gather info, go back to the thread with you unfinished comment and pick up where you left off.

As far as parking you bike indoors, that's real nice the company gave you guys that space. I see the FAT Bike in the middle. 1/10, what is it shared buy 10 people at work and you take turns?

Lief

Guru Schmuru
shared buy 10 people at work and you take turns
Yeah - we just leave it at the office and grab it whenever we want it...not in real high demand these days.
If it would have snowed this year we may have been queued up for a ride tho. :)

It's a Walmart BSO (Bike Shaped Object) - one guy took it apart and re-built it when we got it (put in lube, tightened loose pieces etc).
But it's fun.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Mongoo...in-Fat-Tire-Mountain-Multiple-Colors/22861845

BentAero

Your employ looks a lot like mine; lots of two-wheelers.

I took a walk through our building recently and counted 10 motorcycles and 12 bicycles inside the building. Not bad considering we only have 24 employees.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
It's a Walmart BSO (Bike Shaped Object) - one guy took it apart and re-built it when we got it (put in lube, tightened loose pieces etc).
But it's fun.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Mongoo...in-Fat-Tire-Mountain-Multiple-Colors/22861845

The kid version of this has 20" wheels, gears, and is just begging for somebody to build a custom Cruzbike conversion kit that can handle fat tires. It would be Glorious!

k2-_7e65962e-4e0d-4139-a781-2ed8d5abf729.v4.jpg

Just sayin'...

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Very cool Lief!
My company is the opposite. 33 employees on site - 1 bike - Mine! I am an oddity among them! :)

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Yeah - that was too easy - especially since off topic - thanks for not taking the bait.
So to stay on topic and avoid further ridicule: here's my companies bike parking.. and check out that rear light too!
bikeparking.jpg

DuncanWatson

I used to park outside at work. And a few others did as well. Unfortunately that area is now taken over by smokers since it has covering and is 25ft away from any door. I stopped using it after too many times clearing ash off my seat. When I rode my velomobile I parked it with the cars near a light pole that I chained it to. I also had a window cubical that allowed me to see it during the day. I haven't ridden to work in a couple of years but the commuters have started to either take their bike into their cubical or leaving it in the stairwell. When I resume commuting I will do the in-cubical thing. If facilities gets upset I will make a stink and try to get something like Lief has setup. I managed to do that when I worked in Beaverton, OR for a different company but since then it was bought by the same company that bought the one I left it for.

I really like to see the indoor parking and we have the excess cubical space here.

BentAero

The kid version of this has 20" wheels, gears, and is just begging for somebody to build a custom Cruzbike conversion kit that can handle fat tires. It would be Glorious!

k2-_7e65962e-4e0d-4139-a781-2ed8d5abf729.v4.jpg
Assuming the drive wheel will even fit into the front fork, I think you'd run into a chain alignment problem using a common width bottom bracket that the conversion kit has. The bottom bracket in the photo looks pretty wide, and I'd think it would have to be in order to even be remotely lined up with that enormous drive hub. Bummer. I agree, it would be a way-cool, fun project. I'll have to take a swing thru the BSO section at Wal-fart with a tape measure.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Assuming the drive wheel will even fit into the front fork, I think you'd run into a chain alignment problem using a common width bottom bracket that the conversion kit has. The bottom bracket in the photo looks pretty wide, and I'd think it would have to be in order to even be remotely lined up with that enormous drive hub. Bummer. I agree, it would be a way-cool, fun project. I'll have to take a swing thru the BSO section at Wal-fart with a tape measure.

You'd have to build a special conversion kit for the beast. The issue is that you need to have a fork that can use the disc brake as it doesn't look like a rim brake could be used. If you can get/make a fork wide enough, the rest can fall into place.

Just think about how much fun that would be to ride. I'm wanting to learn how to weld, I can see this being one of the projects I take on at some point...

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Front wheel drive, cruzbike conversion, fatbike, single speed with a coaster brake.

Start small and bring it to shows...Robert.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Just barely fits through the entrance...
upload_2015-4-22_19-58-54.png

Or down the stairs and folded right next to my desk...
upload_2015-4-22_20-3-1.png

For the curious, here is the Mobiky unfolded. This is a 3-spd IGH with a disc brake on the front and drum/strap or something or other on the rear. I've regularly done 17 mile rides on it until I went recumbent...
upload_2015-4-22_20-5-26.png

I haven't ridden the Vendetta to work yet. One of these days...

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
That is my Mobiky and the middle shot of it folded is right next to my chair in my office. I had to edit the post to remove the extra photos. Apparently I clicked the wrong button...
Cute little bike Eric, I take it that you use it to commute within work and not to :D?!

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Cute little bike Eric, I take it that you use it to commute within work and not to :D?!
For a little while I was only about 7.5 miles from work and commuted with my Mobiky quite frequently. I got to the point I could pass many of the slower DF riders. I haven't ridden it in several years now. At the moment it is sitting inside it's carry/storage bag in my basement getting dusty.