Bike Sebring 2018

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
ANOTHER Brilliant set of results!!!
See what can happen with a group of FAST recumbent bikes AND riders, riding as a team!
Was Jim at the front of the DF riders, 29 minutes behind the Three Amigos?

The finish was tight!!!
Is it the front axle or the front of the bike over the line?
Emmmm that was so tight! Gosh I bet their hearts were pumping when they got over that line.
IMG_0973~2.PNG

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
At the award ceremony they commented that their photo finish showed Kyle won by a tire width. I messed up a little too, as I thought the line was about 20 feet back where the cones started and "timer" was place, so I raced to that line and turned off the gas at that point and Kyle was probably still accelerating past me. He just has more power. My max power for the sprint was only 530 watts and his was 675. It was fun! I had no problem getting edged out by another Cruzbike - it is a win-win for the team!

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
This is me at the start of the races, sandwiched between two HPVs. Greg Cantori is to me right. We will pass each other many times during the 100 miles, but he leaves me far behind in the long head-wind section (but not the three stronger Cruzbike racers). Greg was entered in the 12-hour event, but decided to only do the 100-miles.
Now take a look to my left.
That is Dave Lewis in his Intercity.bike DF HPV. He will do 647.2 miles in the next 24 hours (1041.57 kilometers). That distance may not beat the top records set on super-smooth and flat tracks, But in my opinion, Dave's performance, done on rough public roads where he climbed over 2000 feet, and then on a twisty Le-mans motor speedway, is equally noteworthy. This photo was taken minutes before the start and before the lid went on Dave's HPV.

2018 Sebring Start 50 pct.jpg

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Great job Cruzbike wish I could have seen that Cruzbike train zooming along. A super special shout out to Team Cruzlike (Ken and Lisa) who hit their goal of 400 miles in the 24 hour race. Those doing the Non-drafting 24 hour race and reach 400 miles qualify for RAAM. Ken did 402.8 miles. It's especially fun to watch a rider train-up and then successfully complete an epic ride. RAAM qualified-- woo-hoo--Let's see the plaque Ken!
I can't wait until Larry's Video, and report!!

CruzLike

Guru
Great job Cruzbike wish l shout out to ride. RAAM qualified-- woo-hoo--Let's see the plaque Ken!

Thanks Hardy
It was an epic ride that I will gladly share the details when I return home in a few days.

You were absent from Sebring because of a 300k in Gainesville. How was your ride?

LarryOz

Here is a 2 second video showing Kyle and I going at it for the photo finish. What fun!!! - and way to go Kyle for the win. If I have to lose, it better has to be to someone on a Cruzbike! haha

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
Cool photo of the lead pack fighting the headwind on the second half of the 100-mile race.
That's Jesse Groves pulling at the front, Kyle Larsen, and Larry Oslund on Cruzbike V20s. Jean-Luc Perez is tucked in the group on his standard bike and will go on to win the 24-hour drafting race with 463.9 miles. Great photo shows just how much of the standard rider is sheltered from the wind when they are tucked. I'd estimate about 66%.

LarryOz

That's Jesse Groves pulling at the front, Kyle Larsen, and Larry Oslund on Cruzbike V20s. Jean-Luc Perez is tucked in the group on his standard bike and will go on to win the 24-hour drafting race with 463.9 miles. Great photo shows just how much of the standard rider is sheltered from the wind when they are tucked. I'd estimate about 66%.
That is the coolest picture I have seen - OK - well maybe 2nd coolest - The sprint at the line was the coolest!
JL Perez is also a very tall guy. Get someone 5'7 on a small frame TT bike with 650 wheels and they might be almost as low as a recumbent!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
:lol that perez guy has at least 100 miles of experience drafting some other perez guy on a recumbent prior to this event. At least this time he chose the correct class for drafting other riders.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
That is the coolest picture I have seen - OK - well maybe 2nd coolest - The sprint at the line was the coolest!
JL Perez is also a very tall guy. Get someone 5'7 on a small frame TT bike with 650 wheels and they might be almost as low as a recumbent!

I'm not 5'7" but this photo makes me want to go head to head against you guys on my Trek ;)

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Cool photo of the lead pack fighting the headwind on the second half of the 100-mile race.
Did anyone ask JL Perez what his power meter reading was compared to the Cruzbikes???

LarryOz

Did anyone ask JL Perez what his power meter reading was compared to the Cruzbikes???
I thought about it while we were riding, but the moment passed quickly in the heat of event. He is on strava though I think. It would be an interesting comparison. We have to get Jason along with Kevin and Alvin here next year. I think we could take a serious shot at breaking 4 hours. It would take 25.5 average.

NeaL

Guru
I have been wanting to take my three kids to Disney World but since we'll have three T50s and a Sofrider between the four of us by Sebring next year, maybe I'll try for doing both in one trip.

What does it take to enter the race at Sebring? Does it cost anything to enter? Minimum age requirements? Does one need to have previous race accomplishments or any specific equipment? Is there a dress code like for Wimbledon?