Bikeism Sucks

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I used to race in a local, weekly race on a racetrack for many years on a DF. It was a blast. I haven't raced there for a few years. I was thinking of going back and racing on my V, so I looked at the rules posted on the website. There was no mention of restrictions on frame type. I was pretty excited about racing there again. So I called the number on the website to confirm my plan to race my recumbent. I didn't mention any specifics, just a recumbent. The person said the race is not a UCI race, but they follow UCI rules. No recumbents allowed. What a disappointment. Recumbents are still discriminated against and the guilty parties are clueless. I would expect cyclists, who already suffer from discrimination, would understand. On the positive side, I think we are on the verge of a recumbent revolution. We must stand up (or lay down in this case) for the right to be treated fairly.

RAR

Joe, since they are not UCI they could start a recumbent class. Might be worth a try ! Ask them.

Rick

jond

Zen MBB Master
yes it does most positively stink of fear of the unknown ,stupid ignorance and just plain old discrimination.

"oooohhh a different bike that does not look like mine. cant have that."

we have a local road ride social group called "xxxxxxxx" complete with a facebook public friendly extended hand to all unless you ride a recumbent . so knowing the creator i thought i would testingly ask if a recumbent would be welcomed as per their stated friendly policy.

within 10 minutes the strident usual suspects were citing ignorant safety concerns etc etc and how they could not ride in formation with a gasp gasp recumbent with no draught despite my offer to ride off the back. rather than ride with a gasp recumbent they stated how they would have to withdraw from the group rides. it was getting quite willing i kid you not despite not a response from me. very funny and pathetic at the same time as unfortunately as expected. you see i know a lot of these guys and have met them on rides before..................... yup they were pathetic back then too. precious nuts to them.

hence the fitting of road bars not bullhorns to remove one avenue of legitimate safety concern on the new v20 a breaker of precious nuts.

thus i was politely asked offline to withdraw and received email apologising for the discrimination even though it "was not discrimination i hope you can understand" :). to which i did withdraw amicably.

now i have a dastardly cunning plan. to routinely pluck the rude prigs and their oh so very precious precious well contested koms off one at a time nyuk nyuk nyuk. i will set the bar so high that the dopey DF's will not stand a chance. ha ha hah ha ah ah ha my maniacal laughter is ringing in my ears....................... like k k k k kevin in a fish called wanda " wevenge wevenge" will be oh so .......fast(will need to be) .......just a bit faster than a steamroller though.

prats will always be precious. the more stupid the bigger the hurt and the greater the pleasure will be mine. ha ha ha ah ah ha harrrdy ha ha. ( a bit strong...... no )

now that i am calm and after two edits..............

we must keep at it and ask the questions. rise above it. with a plan. end stupid bikeism now.

so with that somehow i will find myself one day perhaps accidentally shockingly soon part of their group ride for a minute as i blast by...... merely to illustrate the error of their ways of course.

this is why i audax. no problems mate you are welcome and the test is of yourself.

i wish we had some ultra events down unda but our population base is to small.

here is to enlightenment common courtesy and decency and ending bikeism.

hope that was not too strong....... well it was a little bit especially b4 the edits.

Joe, since they are not UCI they could start a recumbent class. Might be worth a try ! Ask them.

Rick

definitely ask the question.

Last edited:

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
This summer I'm volunteering as a B group ride leader with my V20, I just have to accept the offer. The speed delta will let me go back and check on the slow pokes to make sure they don't get lost and still be able to sneak back up on the front people as well. Then I'll just start to get these "B" familiar with the idea that they the "B" riders can be as fast as the "A" riders when they upgrade to their first cruzbike :) Just another way to grow the acceptance with the open minded beginners.

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
If racing improves the breed, then let it. The UCI has hindered the bicycle's forward progress and their hubris must be met with a Vendetta.

Apollo

UCI are being defensive. Faure did the Hour on a Mochet, at which point the UCI realised that the only way to beat the 'bent is to ban it or legalise drugs
The UCI is so restrictive it has even banned countless innovations to the DF over the years. There's no logical reasoning with this kind of policy making, and by now it is so ingrained, it's a systemic problem in the sport as we head further into the 21st Century.

The only possible change that could occur is if recumbents become so widespread and accepted compared to their current market penetration that the UCI will have no choice by force of a public consensus to either accept recumbents, or at least permit some bending of the rules to allow them in more races. Perhaps not in the big Tours but in other types of events. That's the best case scenario the way I see things as they stand presently - and I'm being optimistic.

1happyreader

zen/child method
The UCI is so restrictive it has even banned countless innovations to the DF over the years. There's no logical reasoning with this kind of policy making, and by now it is so ingrained, it's a systemic problem in the sport as we head further into the 21st Century.
Under the heading: glacier watching, the 2014 UCI rule change for the hour event is a step in the right direction? but only gives back dissallowed record attempts to 1972.
To my mind Faure's dissallowed record Hour on a Mochet stood for more than 30 years.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
yes it does most positively stink of fear of the unknown ,stupid ignorance and just plain old discrimination.

"oooohhh a different bike that does not look like mine. cant have that."

we have a local road ride social group called "xxxxxxxx" complete with a facebook public friendly extended hand to all unless you ride a recumbent . so knowing the creator i thought i would testingly ask if a recumbent would be welcomed as per their stated friendly policy.

within 10 minutes the strident usual suspects were citing ignorant safety concerns etc etc and how they could not ride in formation with a gasp gasp recumbent with no draught despite my offer to ride off the back. rather than ride with a gasp recumbent they stated how they would have to withdraw from the group rides. it was getting quite willing i kid you not despite not a response from me. very funny and pathetic at the same time as unfortunately as expected. you see i know a lot of these guys and have met them on rides before..................... yup they were pathetic back then too. precious nuts to them.

hence the fitting of road bars not bullhorns to remove one avenue of legitimate safety concern on the new v20 a breaker of precious nuts.

thus i was politely asked offline to withdraw and received email apologising for the discrimination even though it "was not discrimination i hope you can understand" :). to which i did withdraw amicably.

now i have a dastardly cunning plan. to routinely pluck the rude prigs and their oh so very precious precious well contested koms off one at a time nyuk nyuk nyuk. i will set the bar so high that the dopey DF's will not stand a chance. ha ha hah ha ah ah ha my maniacal laughter is ringing in my ears....................... like k k k k kevin in a fish called wanda " wevenge wevenge" will be oh so .......fast(will need to be) .......just a bit faster than a steamroller though.

prats will always be precious. the more stupid the bigger the hurt and the greater the pleasure will be mine. ha ha ha ah ah ha harrrdy ha ha. ( a bit strong...... no )

now that i am calm and after two edits..............

we must keep at it and ask the questions. rise above it. with a plan. end stupid bikeism now.

so with that somehow i will find myself one day perhaps accidentally shockingly soon part of their group ride for a minute as i blast by...... merely to illustrate the error of their ways of course.

this is why i audax. no problems mate you are welcome and the test is of yourself.

i wish we had some ultra events down unda but our population base is to small.

here is to enlightenment common courtesy and decency and ending bikeism.

hope that was not too strong....... well it was a little bit especially b4 the edits.

definitely ask the question.

If you look at my road to 500 miles thread from last which covers everything from learning not to die in traffic on my first rides, joining the local racers for the daily lunch time race and finally a 24hr attempt you'll see I basically did just that. I casually asked one of the fast riders of the group if a recumbent could hang and the answer was a quick no way with a chuckle.

Only that one rider in the group knew me before I showed up on the V for the first time and I quickly ruffled some feathers as I learned to ride the V. A few riders down right hated I was there but mostly kept their mouths shut in person but no on the secret email list from what I hear. The fastest of the riders don't mind and seem to welcome the challenge of trying to draft me.

Right now I'm just coming back from a broken hand so I'm riding my DF bike with the group and I get asked about how the big race I was training for turned out. I few of those fast guys gave me a friendly "what no recumbent today" the first few days I came back. I'm taking the opportunity to make more friends within the group before I bring the V back out and chrush some dreams.

I've never ridden with another recumbent unless you count the moments I flew passed my competition in the 24hr but based on my current handling skills with the V I'm a bet less safe in a pack then my DF bike. I found myself rubbing both my elbows at the same time with other riders as me bunched up before the finish sprint and you be crazy to think I could have done the same on the V. I can ride with a group just fine but not the exact same way as I can on a DF bike. I found expressing a bit of humility in my skills to the riders who ask me questions to go along way towards them understanding how to better ride close to me and accept me.

jond

Zen MBB Master
The fastest of the riders don't mind and seem to welcome the challenge of trying to draft me.

your example is a good reason not to give up and accept the status quo.

the group i mentioned was formed by the well meaning originator to bring together in his words "a disorganised disparate toxic cycling communtity fragmented by their nihilistic behaviour and egos feeding off each other like wounded sharks." well maybe not those exact words......

his ethos is healthy and he backs it up with some great work. i am sure he would be okay with a recumbent or three.

i guess in any football team there is an interchangeable moron on any given day. heck i have been that guy too.

i feel too that my skills on the recumbent are as good as my DF handling skills (mediocre very) . i doubt i could ever rub elbows without tensing up though :) that is why i was rubbish on a mtn bike and even worse on a motorbike.

i shall report back with my findings and let you know how i go with the DF enlightenment recumbent tour. :)

hopefully the group will realise i am just another cyclist riding for fitness and friendship.

thanks

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
your example is a good reason not to give up and accept the status quo.

the group i mentioned was formed by the well meaning originator to bring together in his words "a disorganised disparate toxic cycling communtity fragmented by their nihilistic behaviour and egos feeding off each other like wounded sharks." well maybe not those exact words......

his ethos is healthy and he backs it up with some great work. i am sure he would be okay with a recumbent or three.

i guess in any football team there is an interchangeable moron on any given day. heck i have been that guy too.

i feel too that my skills on the recumbent are as good as my DF handling skills (mediocre very) . i doubt i could ever rub elbows without tensing up though :) that is why i was rubbish on a mtn bike and even worse on a motorbike.

i shall report back with my findings and let you know how i go with the DF enlightenment recumbent tour. :)

hopefully the group will realise i am just another cyclist riding for fitness and friendship.

thanks

:lol that could be the major difference between me and most casual riders. I was in fact a professional motorcycle racer at the world level and have been know to stomp on the DH strava times of the pro peloton during my just for fun 100+ mile exploration rides on the DF road bike. Rubbing bodywork at 180 mph is a tad touchier then most things on a bicycle but even so I still feel like an accident waiting to happen from time to time on the V :)

If I come up with any hunmorius stories to tell about my group rides I'll be sure to drop the forum a line. For now I just need to focus on getting some legs back under me before I enter the V into one of the toughest double centuries in CA.

jond

Zen MBB Master
:lol that could be the major difference between me and most casual riders. I was in fact a professional motorcycle racer at the world level and have been know to stomp on the DH strava times of the pro peloton during my just for fun 100+ mile exploration rides on the DF road bike. Rubbing bodywork at 180 mph is a tad touchier then most things on a bicycle but even so I still feel like an accident waiting to happen from time to time on the V :)

If I come up with any hunmorius stories to tell about my group rides I'll be sure to drop the forum a line. For now I just need to focus on getting some legs back under me before I enter the V into one of the toughest double centuries in CA.

look forward to your amazing inspiring exploits. i am sure any last residual feeling of unease on the v will disappear quickly .

having such a great bike handling pedigree on two wheels is something to marvel at.

i am an awed fan of two wheel motosport. thanks to isle of man TT wayne gardner mick doohan casey stoner and the doctor. real skill with stainless steel cojones.

respect .

best wishes coming back and smashing the double century.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master

Rick
Unfortunately, the way this race operates, I can't think of how they would allow a recumbent class even if they wanted to. But if they did, they would also have to buy a sign that says, "DFs only!" for the water fountain.

Oh dear mate you just introduced me to a world I didn't know existed in Australia. I read many reports of ultra events other members have been involved in but thought I would have to travel OS to take part. Now I know I can do it here I guess I should get a team together. Sadly all my friends ride DF but I could still have them on my team I guess.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I didn't know existed in Australia

welcome to audax. a challenge of yourself.

i have seen many lessons dished out by lesser cyclists and seen A graders fail despite their elite fitness and ability literally crying on the side of the road. audax is about riding smart smart smart. so you do not need to be a superfit young whippersnapper but rather a reasonably fit-ish smart cyclist is tune with his her body. it is a test of yourself. barry i encourage you to try a short ride first and see if you like it. i have made some great friends through audax australia. and i have learnt a lot about myself. and how to ride distance and feel good about doing it rather than ending up unwell and yucko.

as i was reminded over the weekend conditions on the day can make a big difference to anyone and they caught me out. i had an issue with electrolyte balance. did not drink enough of it and had to "save" myself on the side of the road whilst laying on my back for 20 minutes sipping electrolyte and praying having 80klm to go....... but came good and continued on. lessons learnt. high humidity 94% 30 deg c every 2nd bottle not 4th with electrolytes.

go for it.