Boom clamp slips...

BentSk8r

Hi guys,

Been out of the country until now so have just put my green Kickstarter T50 "grocery getter" together and cannot pedal out and back in the driveway without the boom clamp slipping when I pedal with any reasonable force to get back up. The slider just gives way and the bottom bracket ends up on the ground. I have tightened the clamp as much as I can with a T-handle hex wrench to no avail. It looks substantially under dimensioned with only one clamping screw while my V has two and has never slipped. I haven't seen any mention of this problem on the Forum, so am I the only one with this problem? Any brilliant ideas about how to fix it?

Bill K

Guru
I had the same problem.
I fixed it by sliding the seat back as far as it would go so I could slide the boom in (it was near it max extension before).
And I removed the quick release lever and used a wrench to tighten it (much tighter).
I've seen the extra clamp. It looks much stronger. It will definitely work (but try removing the quick release while you are waiting for it).

BentSk8r

Thanks all, there was an extra clamp of the proper diameter rattling around in the box. When added to the quick release there seems to be enough grip to keep things from sliding though I haven't tested it with max pedal force yet.I am currently doing some minor frame and axle surgery to get another Kickstarter acquisition, the UrbanX electric wheel, installed on the back. It is designed to be installed on a front fork which doesn't interfere with the integral battery in the hub but the rear dropout needs to have some material removed which gets in the way of the battery. Looks doable but took a little while to come to terms with cutting into the brand new frame before even one proper ride. That's what you get for being a guinea pig.

rx7mark

Guru
I have a 45.5 X-seam and I am 6'2" tall. I sent a note to Cruzbike after they posted that they have a different clamp for those of us over 6 foot tall. They sent me a new clamp that is a dual bolt type and holds very securely. No problem with slipping at max power. Easy update that should solve your problem.

Mark