Boom - QX100

VenRiderGuy

Yea, I just saw that "new" entry into the product line and am wondering about the $600 difference between the QX100 and the Q559. Needs more study. I'm really waiting for the "you can now buy" entry of the trike option. So many tempting ways to spend money....but the one who dies with the most toys wins.:)

milcrow

The difference is the SRAM Dual Drive internally-geared freehub that eliminates the weight/bulk/pain-in-the-ass of a front derailleur and makes an elliptical chain ring practical (+ double-wall rims & standard folding luggage rack).

Brilliant marketing move! By removing a few expensive components, Cruzbike has created an entry-level transit/touring/comfort bike in the under-$1,700 sweet spot.

Now if the TTrike attachment will be compatible with the Q frame, there should be very little resistance to rapidly increasing market share. People can test ride at local bike shops with no almost acclimation, experience just how amazing a MBB bike really is, maybe decide they don't really need the TTrike, yet realize that settling for an upright is insane when a Cruzbike only costs $1,700.

This could be the Flying Pigeon PA-02 of the 21st Century. ;)

Last edited:

milcrow

Oh, and the new colors are the bomb. People are going to want to order the Q559 in colors other than orange. :D

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I will add this we get more questions about my daughters green quest than we do the orange ones so definately like the new colors.

As for the removal of the dual drive. Based on our custom quickr I can atest that makes the bike a lot more nibble suitable for keep up with b-group riders or carrying a ton of cargo. The quest frame really does shine with derailuer if you don't mind them.

This bike will be a barrier breaker

rfneep

Long-time lurker here, but just have to comment on the QX100. I've been thinking about getting another Quest since my v2 Q451/Q599 resides at the in-laws on the west coast. The QX100 may make a good frame kit for a build I have in mind. However, I am confused by the specs. It seems to indicate that it can take up to 2 inch tires. That may imply a new fork and rear arm, no? Anyone know what the story is?

Thanks

Ray

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
That may imply a new fork and rear arm, no? Anyone know what the story is?
Yes since the Quest Version3 the fork has no suspension any longer; and the rear arm is a tad longer. You can't get 700c on a Quest Version2, but from the Version3-26" forward you can.

Jeremy S

Dude
If I had more room in my apartment entryway, I'd buy one for zipping around town. The color options are very welcome.

rfneep

I think I wasn't clear. I recall the v3 Q559 specs said the bike could handle 1.5 inch wide 26-in tires. However, the QX100 specs say (cryptically): "Tires:Innova 26x. 1.5 will take up 2 inch". If this means the QX100 can handle 2 inch wide 26-in tires, I assume the fork and rear swingarm will have been changed from that in the Q559. Seems a bit hard to believe from the photos, so I guess I'll wait to see some clarification on this. (Wide tires are interesting for limestone/unpaved trails...).

Ray

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
First posting on this forum, and want to say thanks for all the shared info which has helped me. I have about 3700 miles riding my Quest since it arrived Feb'15. My first few minutes on it were 'what did I get myself into moments', but since I had been reading the learning tips on this forum and watching YouTube I told myself to just follow the learning tips and skill chart that are in the manual. So I took a 20 mile ride around bike path here and started to feel good with my progress. And now after every ride I wonder why did I wait so long to make the jump to a bent. Went with the Cruzbike because of the efficiency of FWD and regular chain and components, and with the Quest because I commute by bicycle and like to tour. Also since I don't own a motor vehicle I really need an all around utility bicycle for most of my transportation needs.

Which Brings me to why I posted here - my new green QX100 is scheduled to arrive Saturday. Now I will have a backup when one of my bents is being modified. First will be to put on a rack, maybe q-rings if I feel a difference, lower gearing for hills, handlebars, etc. Now you know where I have been reading on this forum!

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
The new QX100 is a great riding bike. There are other subtle improvements too that make it a great rock solid bike. Stay tuned for a full build video coming soon.

The colors are all fantastic and this is easily the best Quest to date.

Robert

monaf

I have a question for those who go from RWD to FWD and MBB. Is it hard to get the muscle memory down? I have been intrigued with Cruzbike since I began looking at bents and I went with RWD because I thought the learning curve would be too long. Now that I have been riding for 4 years, I have all but given up on my DF. I would like to move to a Quest but I am reluctant since it seems like the learning curve would be just as long and I want to be able to switch between my MetaBike and whatever I add to my collection. I am an old lady who has been an avid cyclist for most of my life. Any experiences to share or is everyone only riding MBB FWD? Thank you!

Mona

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
They recommend riding only the FWD-MBB while you're learning how to pilot it, because you're learning such different skills. Once you have it down, you can switch back and forth...but you may not want to!:D I'm pretty sure we have members who ride different types of recumbents as well as their Cruzbikes, and maybe even still get on a DF.

If I learned how to ride a Cruzbike, you can too! I've never had the greatest balance--I don't roller-skate well, can't skateboard, failed miserably at riding a unicycle--but I was determined to learn how to ride my little Quest (the smaller-wheeled model, no longer sold except as a special order), and I did. Ratz has a whole fleet of Cruzbikes, and has taught, like, 30 people to ride (as of this posting). He wrote a checklist that works so well, that Cruzbike has it as part of their site now. http://cruzbike.com/learn-to-ride.html

monaf

Thanks for your help. And yes, I realize I would have to give up the RWD temporarily, but it would be painful because it is my go fast bike with my groups. I want a quest because I think it would be great for MUP's and slower rides. Not that there are any MUP's near where I live, but they may be coming. I also like the folding option. Thanks again.

I wish I lived closer to Ratz and he could teach me!

Mona

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Mona,

Yes there is a learning curve, but it is not all that hard. I contend that it is only as hard as people make it out to be. Riding many different bikes is a good thing and keeps all of your skills sharp - there is no need to give up riding a particular type of bike (unless you want to of course or it helps you focus)

Everyone is different - some people get on and ride away from a dead stop, others take more time. This is the case for our bikes just as it for any activity that requires us to learn new skills. You will do great for sure!

:)

Robert

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Mona,
and all who are looking for a Great COMFORTABLE bicycle,
I was having pains on my longer DF rides so I tried to solve the problems by raising the handlebars. That only delayed the onset of the hand, wrist, arm, and yes butt numbness. So for years I would from time to time research for solutions and started to look at bents. Also I did not like wearing out, cleaning, lubing, and having to replace chains. So I looked for other solutions and found shaft drives. But after researching shafts I thought that they would become difficult to get replacement parts in a timely manner if I was on the road and something in the drivetrains broke, also much more expense and weight.
So I
started to look at chains in a different light, and found that FWD used off the shelf parts: regular size chain and derailleur, no idler or chain guide, etc thus saving weight, expense, and replacement parts readily available even in small town LBS.
Then I found Cruzbike forum and read all I could and decided on the Quest because it looked like a good commuter/touring bike.
But because FWD responds differently to pedalling I read all the tips on this forum on how to learn to ride a FWD and watched YouTube vids. Then I would visualize practicing those tips even riding my DF with my legs on top of the handlebars pretending to pedal a FWD (got some stares while doing this). Don't do this -dangerous!
OK- I hear you- get to the point
When I picked up my Quest from LBS, after my first few moments on the bike looking like I could not go in a straight line, I stopped and fell back on the learn to ride tips. I flintstoned to start moving, coasted to get the feel, found a slight down incline and Flintstoned again but now pedalled lightly with hands on handlebars lightly counteracting feet pedalling. And went around parking lot practicing, then a ride on bike path (it was on a weekday so almost no one around). It did not take long for me to feel improvement as I rode about 20 miles on the bike path and in parking lot doing figure eights every day first week. Then started commuting to work using the Q, and continued doing skills training using the sheet in the Cruzbike manual and tips on this forum. That started Feb'15, and now I ordered a QX100 because I don't want to use my DF as my backup ride any longer.
Basically with riding my brain/body has become increasingly acclimated to the FWD to the point where I don't have to think about what I am doing, and because of how comfortable the riding position is I don't want to go back to a DF. I use a ventisit pad to avoid getting a sweatty back, and put a lumbar support under the ventisit pad.
Also,it took about a month to get my muscles used to a bent. I dont know why that is but that is something I had read on the forum so when I did not perform the same as on my DF I figured that was the reason.
Better end this session
Happy benting!!!?!!!
Mark

Tuloose

Guru
Mona, you say your go fast bike is a RWD recumbent, presumably the Metabike you mention? (Interestingly the Metabike looks like a RWD version of the Silvio)
You may find, with time & practice, that the Cruzbike becomes your go fast bike of choice.
I have a faired Lightning P-38 and it doesn't hold a candle to my Silvio when it comes to climbing and as you have probably heard, races are won in the mountains.
My Silvio is also very fast on the downhills, straights & rollers (especially rollers, my god how it flies down the road!)
Oops, guess I got on the Q forum with a description of my Silvio but I'm sure you'll find the Q to have most of the same advantages.