Boom too long - cut it?

romelman

My bottle mount is custom:
I

My bottle mount is custom:

I used this:

http://www.amazon.com/Minoura-94414-Strap-On-Bottle-Boss/dp/B001CJZ9H

minora.jpg height:66px;

and 1.5" hose clamp to secure it to the boom.
hose%20clamp.jpg

What I did is disassemble the silver metal part that your bottle cage will screw on to and secure it to the boom using the hose clamps after taping around the boom with rubber tape to protect the boom.

Holds the bottle and cage very secure :)

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
“Why pay a dollar for a

"Why pay a dollar for a bookmark? Why not use the dollar for a bookmark?" ? Steven Spielberg

Why clamp a bottle cage bracket to the boom, why not clamp the bottle cage itself? Thick cable ties are immensely strong, and are usually black.

romelman

why use a separate

Why use a separate bracket?

Well I hope these are enough reasons:
tongue_smile.gif

I tried zip ties, doesn't secure it as tight no matter how much you pull it even with tools.
You'll usually need 2 clamps to secure a bottle cage directly (with the bracket design I use, I just need one clamp).
Easily removable and adjustable with just a tool (reusable unlike zip ties plus zip ties and plastic cages do break easier than metal).
And IMO and the main reason is I think it looks better than direct clamping the cage with clamps or zip ties.

It feels as secure as built-in cage mounts (no need to worry about cutting the boom for fit nor problems with leg or belly clearance)
wink_smile.gif

counterpoint

unanswered: measure with shoes or barefoot?

You are right, this was never answered - and I forgot what I did when I measured.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
The knee to floor measure is

The knee to floor measure is to determine handlebar clearance. Measure it with the shoes you ride with I suppose!

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Having the nut sets for a

Having the nut sets for a bottle cage is a very nice feature - it would be a shame to lose those.

They fall into the category of cup holders in a car - if there aren't any in a new model the reaction from a buyer would likely be "huh???"

I have tried all of the clamps type and wrap around things to attach cages and none of them are any good. If anything they wind up marring the finish.

;-)

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I'm not sure where the Silvio

I'm not sure where the Silvio threaded inserts are but I finally ended up removing the bottle cage from my Vendetta boom because of clearance issues.

On the Vendetta, the bottle mounts under the boom. I have a fairly high BB which makes for a tight cockpit. I mounted one of those lightweight flat plastic type of cage and kept brushing it with my thighs.

An added annoyance was brushing the empty cage (no bottle) resulted in a light twang noise.

Now I'm contemplating building a new rack off the headrest like John did for Maria's RAAM bikes.

-Eric