Boom ... was that an S30 that just passed you?

TalleyHo

It seems to me that the 33 degree seat angle is as significant as the new suspension-less fork in changing the design. How is that done, btw? The new seat angle, it seems to me, sets the new Silvio apart from the V significantly. I find that a more upright position greatly improves my ability to have precise handling control. I greatly enjoy riding my utility cbs for this reason, mainly. Also, deleting the front suspension is a net positive, all things considered. This new Silvio has big potential to attract many converts, I'm predicting.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
It seems to me that the 33 degree seat angle is as significant as the new suspension-less fork in changing the design. How is that done, btw? The new seat angle, it seems to me, sets the new Silvio apart from the V significantly. I find that a more upright position greatly improves my ability to have precise handling control. I greatly enjoy riding my utility cbs for this reason, mainly. Also, deleting the front suspension is a net positive, all things considered. This new Silvio has big potential to attract many converts, I'm predicting.

That seemed obvious to me; but it certainly wasn't said formally. My Guess is;

1) that the hydro-formed part of the frame is the same.
2) The new fork is shorter because there is no shock compression area.
3) The end of the hydro-formed frame is now cut at a different andlge and head tube is welded to the frame to give the correct rake and trail with the new shorter fork.

The result is the bike hydro-form frame tipped forward 5 degrees and thus the seat angle went from 28degrees to 33degrees. So I conclude it was acceptable side affect of changing the fork, no need to redesign the frame to preserve 28degrees when a lot of people would prefer the 33 degrees. Give you an evolution in the bike without huge re-engineering costs.

mzweili

Guru
The end of the hydro-formed frame is now cut at a different andlge and head tube is welded to the frame to give the correct rake and trail with the new shorter fork.
The result is the bike hydro-form frame tipped forward 5 degrees and thus the seat angle went from 28degrees to 33degrees
Would appreciate to get this kind of information upfront from the manufacturer, instead of waiting for guesses and comments from (knowledgeable) forum members ;-)

hoyden

I wonder what is the penalty driving a S30 latest&greatest vs S30 yesterday's news?

From various comments the front suspension was a veritable boat anchor. I understand the new rigid front end is lighter and rigidity improves power delivery.

I am happy with my s30YN. Maybe it can be marketed as an old persons bike for folks who value comfort over wringing out the last watt and mph.

I look forward the hearing ride reports from folks who can share their experience with both.

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
Any ideas how to attach a Jason Perez boom stabilizer to the frame? The flat surface he drilled into on the Vendetta is not there.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
As was stated by ratz - that is the basics of how the bike was changed. The same tube, lose the gap from the space taken by the shock. To make that work however the head tube had to change angles or it would be too steep. This is not the old frame with just a different front end - it has a bit of new geometry going on.

The happy result of keeping the front end low with a bit more upright seat is a very solid feeling front end and great grip. (tire choice depending of course)

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
New Silvio S30 seams to be perfect brevet bike. Main problem on brevets with my RWD recumbent was climbing. IMHO climbing is the most significant speed factor on brevets. With V20 main problem is comfort I have to lift my head/shoulders/back often.
What is tire clearance? Can by front-end (fork, chainstays, boom) changed from V20 to new S30?
Anyone to exchange my V20 red frame with new S30 white frame?

ratz

New Silvio S30 seams to be perfect brevet bike. Main problem on brevets with my RWD recumbent was climbing. IMHO climbing is the most significant speed factor on brevets. With V20 main problem is comfort I have to lift my head/shoulders/back often.
What is tire clearance? Can by front-end (fork, chainstays, boom) changed from V20 to new S30?
Anyone to exchange my V20 red frame with new S30 white frame?
I'd put that in the Market place forum as an official offer; I get A LOT of private messages from people looking for Medium V20's especially ones that are already on the Continental side of the Atlantic. Any time the V20's are backorders you have a high probability of finding someone; and based on your ride posts and goal it does seem the new S30 was designed with you in mind.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I'd put that in the Market place forum as an official offer; I get A LOT of private messages from people looking for Medium V20's especially ones that are already on the Continental side of the Atlantic. Any time the V20's are backorders you have a high probability of finding someone; and based on your ride posts and goal it does seem the new S30 was designed with you in mind.
Good idea. Thank you. I would need to test new S30 personally before such huge step. 33 degrees seat angle sounds as to much sitting for me. But when used with standard recumbent seat like Thor I should be able to ride it without headrest. I don't need one on my 27 degrees RWD.
I will think about it.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Good idea. Thank you. I would need to test new S30 personally before such huge step. 33 degrees seat angle sounds as to much sitting for me. But when used with standard recumbent seat like Thor I should be able to ride it without headrest. I don't need one on my 27 degrees RWD.
I will think about it.
If you are going to go with a Thor seat mod either way, why not keep the Vendetta, that way you can set the Thor seat angle anywhere from 18 degrees to 35 degrees. If I was going to rando, which is one of my goals some day, I would do it on my V as opposed to my Silvio. Unless it's absolutely necessary you have to the rear suspension. Just a thought:D. The Vendetta can be comfortable, light, and fast.

Later this summer, I will be testing some ideas I have for an adjustable Thor seat kit.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
If you are going to go with a Thor seat mod either way, why not keep the Vendetta, that way you can set the Thor seat angle anywhere from 18 degrees to 35 degrees.
Thank you for your opinoin. It make sense a lot.

Unless it's absolutely necessary you have to the rear suspension.
I am not sure that Czech roads are that case. So thats why I have permited myself to think about something slower than V.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I'll be racing my Vendetta this weeking at the MHPVA 32nd Annual HPV Rally in Waterford.
Will miss seeing you guys there. I'll be at the National 24 hour challenge at the same time. We need to see about maybe scheduling these events on different weekends in the future! :)
Ride fast and safe and look forward to result and lots of cool pictures. Create a new thread for it: 32nd MHPVA rally so we can all enjoy your experience

Isn't technology fantastic. Bikes are getting lighter and faster and even the engines are getting lighter and stronger. So an improvisation in the Silvio ... Whatever next ????

I'll tell y'all what I'd like to see next - get those cables inside the boom again, like they were in the Yellow Vendetta days! Or even better - if it's possible - get the FD cable to go all the way down inside the boom and coming out at the bottom, instead of popping out above the forks with the RD and front brake cable.

It is a capable and pretty bike, but enough with the cables! :)

ratz

I'll tell y'all what I'd like to see next - get those cables inside the boom again, like they were in the Yellow Vendetta days! Or even better - if it's possible - get the FD cable to go all the way down inside the boom and coming out at the bottom, instead of popping out above the forks with the RD and front brake cable.

It is a capable and pretty bike, but enough with the cables! :)

Etap for the win. :)